What's new

*** Official SECRETARIAT Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was in Jr High in 1973 so I saw it on TV and to this day when I see the film of Secretariat turning for home in the Belmont and not one horse is even in the same frame I just get giddy -- nearly 1/8 mile ahead of every other horse by the line Chic Anderson's call still just sends shivers down my spine -- ."Secretariat is widening now! He is moving like a tremendous machine!"

That $2 ticket must be a cool conversation piece.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Secretariat". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Secretariat" should be posted to the [COLOR= rgb(68,112,140)]Official Review Thread[/COLOR].

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by David Norman

I was in Jr High in 1973 so I saw it on TV and to this day when I see the film of Secretariat turning for home in the Belmont and not one horse is even in the same frame I just get giddy -- nearly 1/8 mile ahead of every other horse by the line Chic Anderson's call still just sends shivers down my spine -- ."Secretariat is widening now! He is moving like a tremendous machine!"

That $2 ticket must be a cool conversation piece.

I have it framed, along with the program and the iconic photo of Ron Turcotte looking back over his left shoulder at the other horses far behind him. A little-known fact is the Forego, who went on to become a great older horse, raced on the undercard that day. The grandstand at Belmont Park was literally shaking as Secretariat came down the stretch, with 70,000 people on their feet shouting, clapping and stamping their feet.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

I viewed this film on Saturday and like Richard stated there were some distinct liberties taken with the actual back story. However, with that said, I thought the racing scenes were well done especially the Belmont Stakes race. Furthermore, I thought the performances by Lane, Malkovich, Martindale and Thorwarth as Ron Turcotte were very good. I'll give the film a solid "B" as a tribute to probably the greatest horse in racing history.

Crawdaddy

I also agree with Patrick that the subplot involving the family, and in particular Penny's issues with her husband, is not handled particularly well.

The film leaves the viewer with the impression that by the time of the Belmont Stakers her husband had come around to accept her desire to continue running the stable and that all was well with their relationship. In fact, they were divorced in 1974 and thereafter she went by the name Penny Chenery instead of Penny Tweedy.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Claire Panke

I highly recommend Bill Nack's book, on which this movie is based.

I have a first edition of Nack's book, which originally was titled "Big Red of Meadow Stable" (with the subtitle "Secretariat, the Making of a Champion." In those days the New York Racing Association had a "race of the week" TV show on Saturday afternoon, and each week they answered a question submitted by a viewer. One week they used a question which I had sent in, and the prize was free admission and lunch for two in the clubhouse at Belmont Park and a copy of Nack's book.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks