Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Looney Tunes Censored 11 comes to Warner Archive in 2011!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#41 of 189 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,069 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted December 06 2010 - 02:26 PM

An immediate BUY.  May it come to pass.

#42 of 189 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted December 06 2010 - 03:15 PM

Wuh?  I never thought I’d see this come to pass.  The dry DVD market must have finally reached that limit of desperation.  That or some more up-to-date market research has shown that there really won’t be that much of a negative backlash towards this, if handled properly

Hopefully the two “missing” Tom & Jerry Cartoons are slipped into this along with possibly the only chance “Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips” will be released on DVD.  I do hope they throw in some rare MGM cartoons that would also not likely get a DVD release due to “controversial” material.  It’s probably a good it’s mixed up with other rare/controversial cartoons so it doesn’t seem that it just focuses black caricatures.

#43 of 189 ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted December 07 2010 - 12:36 AM

I'll believe it when I see it and when I see it I'll buy it.

#44 of 189 Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted December 07 2010 - 12:44 AM

If the Censored 11 can make it to DVD, then Song of the South should be released as well.

#45 of 189 Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,195 posts

Posted December 07 2010 - 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Chenoweth 

If the Censored 11 can make it to DVD, then Song of the South should be released as well.

SECONDED!

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 33,704( 733 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,379  :biggrin:  Serial Chapters - 1,102 :B)

#46 of 189 Miguel M Santos

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted December 07 2010 - 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisALM 

I'll believe it when I see it and when I see it I'll buy it.

My thoughts exactly.

#47 of 189 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,001 posts

Posted December 08 2010 - 06:25 AM

SONG OF THE SOUTH is nothing compared to what one sees in these Censored 11, and in many "Little Rascals" shorts.

But Disney has a bat in their belfry over SONG OF THE SOUTH, and they're operating from fear rather than rationality.

#48 of 189 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,720 posts

Posted December 09 2010 - 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff 

SONG OF THE SOUTH is nothing compared to what one sees in these Censored 11, and in many "Little Rascals" shorts.

But Disney has a bat in their belfry over SONG OF THE SOUTH, and they're operating from fear rather than rationality.

There is actually some more clear racial material in some of the black and white Mickey Mouse cartoons that were released in the Walt Disney Treasures line than anything in Song of the South.  It may be that I am missing something, but I do not see how anyone can be any more agrieved by Song of the South than by Gone with the Wind, and Gone with the Wind is available everywhere without incident.  Moreover, as the Uncle Remus stories are all derived from black American folklore, surpressing them surpresses a major literary achievement of a people living in slavery.  I always thought Song of the South should have been released as part of the Walt Disney Treasures series and then, if anyone complained, Disney could say the release was intended for the adult collector and not children.

#49 of 189 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted December 09 2010 - 04:27 AM

Holy !@#$^@#%&@$%&@%!!!!!

This is HUGE news.....as is the mention about a future complete T&J set!!!  Now where is Tex Avery????

#50 of 189 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,993 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 09 2010 - 01:06 PM

Why isn't Bugs bunny Nips the Nips being included and this being called the censored 12?

Shouldn't it be?

facebook.com/whotony

#51 of 189 LeoA

LeoA

Supporting Actor

• 817 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted December 09 2010 - 01:44 PM

Who says it isn't going to be included? It's pretty tame if you ask me, I would hope they'd include it. Especially when keeping a mindset that is was created during the first half of the 40s when we were at war with Japan and they were doing things like the Batann deathmarch and other atrocities, it's not offensive.

I would think a brief disclaiming when starting it up reminding people of circumstances of when it was made would satisfy any reasonable person.

#52 of 189 Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted December 09 2010 - 02:41 PM

Don't get your hopes up on seeing the Censored 11 on DVD.

About that TVShowsonDVD bulletin that says, among other things, that the Censored 11 are "most DEFINITELY" planned for DVD, this is what the author of the definitive Bugs Bunny Video Guide has to say,

Just want to make one very important thing clear: the web site is merely (and rather poorly) paraphrasing what Jerry said on "Stu's Show," and what he was saying was not really meant to be the official studio line but simply how he regarded the situation. People at Warner Home Entertainment may very well be thinking along those same lines, but one was never meant to infer that Jerry was speaking on behalf of the studio in this matter.

I can't believe TVShowsCopyandPasting.com would report that part of the interview as any sort of official answer. That is extremely sloppy "journalism," even for the Internet...but they're so busy wanting to act as some sort of definitive info source for these cartoons that they elevate any off-the-cuff discussion as "news." If they really wanted to impress me, they would actually seek out and actively get a studio response from someone at WHV about those DVDs, but I have a feeling they're not that well connected.

Oh, and Jerry also never said that the packaging stated the widescreen aspect ratio. I don't even know what part of the interview they're referring to with that

#53 of 189 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,001 posts

Posted December 09 2010 - 02:44 PM

I've always felt the problem is partly due to the titles.  "Gone With the Wind"'s very title says those days are over.  "Song of the South"'s title seems to glorify things; it's like waving a Confederate flag.

Still, there's no earthly reason not to release the movie, designed for adult collectors, as a part of movie history.  It isn't even that good of a movie to be making such a big deal over.

(As I was typing this, I have on Turner Classic Movies.  The movie is "Babes in Arms," and right now is the "minstrel scene," with everyone in blackface, talking and singing in the most awful "negro" dialect.  It's about 50 million times more racist than "Song of the South.")

#54 of 189 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,428 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted December 09 2010 - 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff 

I've always felt the problem is partly due to the titles.  "Gone With the Wind"'s very title says those days are over.  "Song of the South"'s title seems to glorify things; it's like waving a Confederate flag.

I think the difference between Gone With The Wind and Song Of The South is that GWTW has always been able to be seen by people and Song Of The South has been buried for about 25 years. People can see GWTW and they're easily able to place it in its time, etc but since people can't see SOTS, it's created this 'legend' that it's some evil thing that must remain hidden or it will inspire lynchings or race riots.

#55 of 189 Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,195 posts

Posted December 09 2010 - 03:40 PM

What gets me is that Disney is downright AFRAID to release Song of the South for fear of a backlash by certain groups, yet both the California and Florida Parks have an Attraction (Splash Mountain) that uses this Movie for the ride's theme. (I Love the Frogs playing "Bass")Posted Image They also openly play the "Zippa deee dooda" Song throughout the Park, and to the best of my knowledge NOBODY has ever complained to them about that! Posted Image

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 33,704( 733 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,379  :biggrin:  Serial Chapters - 1,102 :B)

#56 of 189 Jack P

Jack P

Screenwriter

• 2,921 posts

Posted December 09 2010 - 03:52 PM

That's because they made sure there would be no Uncle Remus in the attraction at either place.

Disney rides in their classic sense have never been overly about familiarity with their filmic source material.    Case in point is how almost no one who loved the sadly defunct at WDW "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" probably ever saw the cartoon it was based on.

#57 of 189 jquirk

jquirk

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted December 12 2011 - 01:12 PM

Well, we're as deep as you could get into 2011 and there's been not a peep about the Censored 11 on DVD or Blu-ray. I guess WB changed its mind.

#58 of 189 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,260 posts

Posted December 15 2011 - 09:41 AM

That's because they made sure there would be no Uncle Remus in the attraction at either place. Disney rides in their classic sense have never been overly about familiarity with their filmic source material.    Case in point is how almost no one who loved the sadly defunct at WDW "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" probably ever saw the cartoon it was based on.  

Mr. Toads Wild Ride has always been alive and well at Disneyland and was even updated to a newer version in the 80's that Florida never got but your point about most fans of the ride not having seen the film "Icabod and Mr. Toad" is very valid. Mr. Toad and many of the other characters houses are also featured on the Storybook Boat ride at Disneyland another ride Florida doesn't have.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#59 of 189 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,333 posts

Posted December 15 2011 - 11:54 AM

There is actually some more clear racial material in some of the black and white Mickey Mouse cartoons that were released in the Walt Disney Treasures line than anything in Song of the South.  It may be that I am missing something, but I do not see how anyone can be any more aggrieved by Song of the South than by Gone with the Wind, and Gone with the Wind is available everywhere without incident.  Moreover, as the Uncle Remus stories are all derived from black American folklore, supressing them supresses a major literary achievement of a people living in slavery.  I always thought Song of the South should have been released as part of the Walt Disney Treasures series and then, if anyone complained, Disney could say the release was intended for the adult collector and not children.  

It's fairly easy to watch SOTS within its historical context--it takes place during slavery. Duh. You would think everyone understands that. It's like denying slavery ever existed in this country. Makes me wonder--since they talk all about it in 4th grade history class. I don't know what Disney thinks it's trying to hide, really. And meanwhile--as you point out--they seemed to have no trouble putting out all their censored cartoons in the tins. I don't think anybody really complained. Nobody really complained about the Little Rascals dvds. And yet, SOTS and the Censored 11 have to sit in a vault somewhere. Somebody explain to me the difference--

#60 of 189 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,001 posts

Posted December 15 2011 - 12:36 PM

It's fairly easy to watch SOTS within its historical context--it takes place during slavery. Duh. You would think everyone understands that. It's like denying slavery ever existed in this country. Makes me wonder--since they talk all about it in 4th grade history class. I don't know what Disney thinks it's trying to hide, really. And meanwhile--as you point out--they seemed to have no trouble putting out all their censored cartoons in the tins. I don't think anybody really complained. Nobody really complained about the Little Rascals dvds. And yet, SOTS and the Censored 11 have to sit in a vault somewhere. Somebody explain to me the difference--

Actually, SONG OF THE SOUTH takes place several years after the Civil War and the end of slavery. The African-Americans in the movie aren't slaves, but they're not much better off. The original Uncle Remus stories were written in the 1870s and 1880s. The whole thing is ridiculous, because Joel Chandler Harris's intention was to reconcile the races during the Reconstruction era. He'd be amazed that a movie based on his characters would be considered racist. I think the whole thing boils down to the sad fact that Disney knows there will be complaints from some frankly ignorant people and they'd just rather not deal with them. :rolleyes::(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users