What's new

receiver keeps shutting down (1 Viewer)

verynew

Auditioning
Real Name
Erik
I am just beginning to learn about home theater. I purchased a surround sound system for new home that I had pre-wired. I am having my first problems after being set up for 2 months. I have a Yamaha RX-V665 receiver, 600 series Definitive Technologies 5.1 speakers and a Sony Blu-Ray and TV, and Direct TV satellite. I also have the second zone set for external speakers but I was not using them when the problem occurred.

During middle of IRON MAN2 Blu-Ray, the receiver shut down. I turned back on and get same results. I shut down AC power for a minute and started over, same result. Checked speaker wires and no loose connections. I did find one unused speaker wire from the installer and taped the ends to be safe. I read somewhere to try to change speaker settings to "small" and up crossover frequency to 100. I did both and still no results.

When the sound comes on, it is very "tinny". A moment ago it seemed like center channel was not working and left front speaker sounded bad. This system has been working flawlessly and filling the room with sound until today. Any help to get me running again is appreciated.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Where did you check the speaker wires? At the receiver or at the speakers? How did you check them? Did you check the resistance of the speakers from the receiver location using a multi-meter? That would tell you if there is a short anywhere in the speaker cable.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One other thing. My Pioneer will shut down when there is a gun-shot on screen and I have the receiver plugged into a 15amp circuit when listening at -15db or louder. There just isn't enough voltage to keep the receiver up and running. I have it plugged into a dedicated 20amp circuit now and haven't had any issues since the change.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Erik:

Welcome to the HTF! And, good luck fixing your problem.

I'm sure Robert and others will help steer you in the right direction.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
Check for "whisker shorts" on all speakers and receiver. Try running the auto speaker setup utility (plug in the calibration mic and it will prompt you to start) at a loud volume and see if it shuts off when addressing a specific speaker/make sure all speakers produce audio -- if it does that speaker is your culprit. Yamaha receivers (like many) will shut off/go into protect mode if there is a short or if a speaker is not properly connected. And, as Robert noted above, they will also shut down if there is not enough available current to properly power the amp during loud passages.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
You need to determine the reason your receiver is shutting down. Receiver problem, speaker wiring, AC power.

Does the problem occur only when you play that Iron Man disk?

If you don't have a meter to check resistance of your speaker wire you might try disconnecting one speaker at a time from the receiver and see if the problem persists. This could lead you to a short in one of your speaker wires.

Is you receiver in a cabinet that could cause heat to shut it down.

Since your system is new most problems which are not caused by a speaker wire short should be covered under warranty.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I am guessing a speaker has shorted. Are they in sunlight or anywhere they can get hot?

Hopefully your problem is constant and not intermittent: Easier to troubleshoot. First, swap your left and right fronts. Is the sound still not coming from the left - or did it move with the speaker?

Try the same thing with your center channel. This will tell you if the trouble is with the speakers or not.

If the problem did not move with your speaker then the next step is to try swapping the wires at the back of the amp - connecting the left to the right and right to the left. If the problem switched sides then the problem is your amp, if not then it is your wires.

If everything worked well for a few months then I am thinking it is not your wires - unless someone drove a picture hanger into them or something similar. Wires don't just go bad. I am guessing your amp got hot our your speakers developed a short somehow.

leftwinger57

Auditioning
Real Name
lewis dworetsky
I also own a 665 and it did exactly the same thing, I called Yamaha and it turns out besides the usual short or miswireing the amp

has an auto shut down when a certain frequency hits. I ran my amp at -7 and never on the plus side but it was enough to trip.

There's nothing wrong except you would think that an avr like this could handle a little rumble or two. Hope this helps I have my own

problems w/ the 665 which are not major just a waste like those rediculous music fields that duplicate certain venues ha. ....

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Originally Posted by leftwinger57

I also own a 665 and it did exactly the same thing, I called Yamaha and it turns out besides the usual short or miswireing the amp

has an auto shut down when a certain frequency hits. I ran my amp at -7 and never on the plus side but it was enough to trip.

There's nothing wrong except you would think that an avr like this could handle a little rumble or two. Hope this helps I have my own

problems w/ the 665 which are not major just a waste like those rediculous music fields that duplicate certain venues ha. ....

Who knows in a few years the Government might mandate this auto shut off feature on all receivers so that we don't play our audio too loud.

danmarston

Auditioning
Real Name
dan
I just purchased a Yamaha HTR-5630 receiver , i ran the speaker wires through the steel duck and skinned a wire or two . sure as shit i got hut down issues . i pulled the wire back through he duct and electrical taped them all separately . I re ran through the wall with no steel in it.

The shut down didn't occur for couple of hours now it is starting up again , every 20 or 30 minutes. It only resets and comes back on in 1 second. Volume doesn't matter , no heat in the unit .

Any ideas what else is wrong and how to test to see if it may still be a speaker issue.
Thanks
Dan

conuronton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
All good advice. Get a meter, that will tell the tale......

If your speaker(s) sound funny, it is possible that a woofer or mid (or crossover electronics) has gone bad and is causing a short inside your speaker cabinet

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Disconnect one of the speaker wires from the back of the receiver. If it shuts down again then disconnect another one. Keep doing this until it stays on or you run out of wires to disconnect.

Also, make sure all speakers are set to Small in the setup menu and the crossover to 100 or higher regardless of what speakers they are or how big. This will relieve a lot of strain off the amplifier during peak loads.

You can also check the manual (they're available on-line from Yamah's website) to see if there's a factory reset procedure. Or you can disconnect the power cable from the outlet for at least 30 minutes (or preferrably overnight) and see if that solves the problem. But do the speaker wire thing first.

danmarston

Auditioning
Real Name
dan
OK , now the plot thickens .... i removed the wires from all three front speakers tested them with an ohm meter and no movement . I am now trying the disconnect one speaker at a time method
thanks for the advice , it really helps .

dan

danmarston

Auditioning
Real Name
dan
I have unhooked all speakers and the receiver still resets every half hour or so , what next ? Any thoughts.

thank you,

dan

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
What speakers are you using and are the listed as 8 ohm or 4 ohm? The low end Yamaha's (signified by the xx30) aren't known for having very strong amp sections.

Other than that I really don't have any idea's. Un-fortunately you might just have a bad receiver .

danmarston

Auditioning
Real Name
dan
I purchased the 5 speaker Bose system. I just unplugged everything but the sub and it still resets every 20 minutes , i am about done with it . Box it all up and go for the Bose wireless i think .. I cant stand it when new gear doesn't work ...
thanks

Dan

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
OK - which Bose speakers are you talking about and how exactly are they connected to the system?

If they're the little cube dealies, they should be connected to the bass module (it's not a subwoofer), not directly to the receiver... it's a very good bet that they are low impedance speakers that are causing your reciever to go into protect mode.

If this is the case, trust me, the speakers are the weakest link in your system. Get rid of them and get something better. The best thing Bose speakers have going for them is their high resale value. You should be able to get enough for them on eBay or Craigslist to go out and get a real set of 5.1 speakers and maybe have cash left over to get some new Blu-Rays while you're at it.

Don't get a wireless system - they are hard to find because they don't work very well. And definitely don't go with any more Bose products. As I've mentioned before, they aren't worth the paper they're made of. You can improve performance by an order of magnitude by going with a "real" speaker set. Get an idea of your budget for speakers and start a thread in the Speakers forum. You'll get tons of good advice.

danmarston

Auditioning
Real Name
dan
Hi Jason , you are correct they are the bass module type , all speakers run through the bass and then to the receiver . I unplugged all speakers from the receiver , but left the base plugged in and it kept shutting down . I am not cranking it up , jut watching tv at a low volume level which blows my mind this thing wont work properly. I can return the whole thing today and get my money back , expect the 10 hrs i have into the install and trouble shooting time.

I thought the bose stuff was good ...

thanks.

dan

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I should have asked you what speakers you had a long time ago. Might have saved you some trouble. My bad . Those Bose cubes are 2 ohm I think. No wonder your Yamaha was running for cover. Anyway, with the receiver still shutting off with all speakers disconnected maybe something more permanent has occurred. Try disconnecting the subwoo...'scuse me, bass module...and see if it still happens.

And yes, those small cube type speaker systems from Bose really aren't that good. They're sold by name and marketing not performance. By all means return them. Hopefully they haven't damaged your 5930.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Gene,

While we know that the Bose cubes are very cheaply made and have a very low ohm rating I was under the impression that if you hooked them up as Bose recommends using the Bose cables through the bass module that the bass module had some sort of protection built into it that would not damage a third party receiver. Isn't this the reason that Bose will tell you not to connect the cubes directly to a receiver. This makes me wonder if their is more to the problem than just the Bose cubes.

Dan,

If possible I would box up those Bose speakers and return them for a refund. While I am not 100% sure you many not have some other problems with your receiver getting out from under a bad purchase would be a wise thing. Even if the Bose and you receiver worked together their are much more affordable speaker systems that will out perform your Bose cubes. You might test your receiver with no speakers connected using head phones and see if it shuts down. If it's under warranty you may want return it as defective.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks