-

Photo
- - - - -

Hanna Barbera- Funky Phantom

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#1 of 50 OFFLINE   ChuckWL

ChuckWL

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted October 08 2010 - 11:05 PM

Just noticed they added the Funky Phantom to the Warner Archive as coming later this month!  Looking forward to this series and more upcoming HB shows that are planned for release in the MOD program.

#2 of 50 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted October 08 2010 - 11:30 PM

I posted the details here last night, for those who are interested:

http://www.tvshowson...te-Series/14524

There's another Warner Archive / WBshop title also announced at the same time: the long-lost 1979 2-part live-action production "Legends of the Super-Heroes", starring Adam West, Burt Ward and Frank Gorshin reprising their old "Batman" roles!  AND I've just updated last night's story with word of "unseen footage" on the DVDs:

http://www.tvshowson...Announced/14525

There's another Hanna-Barbera item coming from the Warner Archive later this month, if Warner can wrap things up in time for Halloween. Animated, and probably would want to be out the same day as Funky Phantom.  Can't say more yet; mum's the word for now.  Posted Image

I should have box art for these titles in the near future, by the way.

DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#3 of 50 OFFLINE   ChuckWL

ChuckWL

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted October 08 2010 - 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by David Lambert 

I posted the details here last night, for those who are interested:

http://www.tvshowson...te-Series/14524

There's another Warner Archive / WBshop title also announced at the same time: the long-lost 1979 2-part live-action production "Legends of the Super-Heroes", starring Adam West, Burt Ward and Frank Gorshin reprising their old "Batman" roles!  AND I've just updated last night's story with word of "unseen footage" on the DVDs:

http://www.tvshowson...Announced/14525

There's another Hanna-Barbera item coming from the Warner Archive later this month, if Warner can wrap things up in time for Halloween. Animated, and probably would want to be out the same day as Funky Phantom.  Can't say more yet; mum's the word for now.  Posted Image

I should have box art for these titles in the near future, by the way.

Exciting times for HB fans Mr Lambert!

#4 of 50 OFFLINE   Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 669 posts

Posted October 09 2010 - 02:31 AM

Yes it is.  The "Legends" specials were produced by Hanna-Barbera.  I hope the Warners MOD program will see the rest of the Huckleberry Hound cartoons come out some time.  I think it would be the perfect way to get the rest of them released.

#5 of 50 OFFLINE   Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 669 posts

Posted October 09 2010 - 05:14 PM

I do not understand why "The Funky Phantom" is going to be on 4 discs when there are only 17 episodes.  Even if they do 6 episodes a disc, it should only be three discs.

#6 of 50 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,023 posts

Posted October 09 2010 - 06:46 PM

Probably so they can charge more for them- plus, I've never seen any semi-legit burned DVD release use dual-layer or 2-sided discs.  Personally I hate this "archives" trend, since it amounts to paying the same price as a real DVD release for a homemade product that I could have done a better job on myself.

Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#7 of 50 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,983 posts

Posted October 10 2010 - 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Chenoweth 

I do not understand why "The Funky Phantom" is going to be on 4 discs when there are only 17 episodes.  Even if they do 6 episodes a disc, it should only be three discs.

Less DATA per disc - quicker to burn. Posted Image

#8 of 50 OFFLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 595 posts

Posted October 10 2010 - 01:00 PM

They could have compressed them a little bit in order to fit 6 episodes on one disc. Then they could have made it a 3-disc set instead of 4.

I don't think the quality would suffer that much since its a cartoon.

They probably consider compressing too much work, or maybe they didn't think of it at all.

"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#9 of 50 OFFLINE   Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 669 posts

Posted October 10 2010 - 03:56 PM

"Thundarr the Barbarian" has 21 episodes spread out over 4 discs.  6 episodes each on the first 3 discs and then 3 episodes on the fourth disc.  "Funky Phantom" should only be a 3 disc set with 6 episodes on the first 2 discs and then 5 on the third.  Hopefully this will get clarified soon by WHV.

#10 of 50 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,331 posts

Posted October 11 2010 - 01:04 AM

it is very frustrating tht MOD is not available in Canada. I would love to have this series.

#11 of 50 OFFLINE   Kasey

Kasey

Second Unit

• 278 posts

Posted October 11 2010 - 02:13 AM

Yes, I hear you but there are other ways.

The same thing happened when they began offering TV-movies and Mini-Series earlier this year. I wanted "Lace" and "Dying Room Only" but they turn up on eBay right away. If you don't mind waiting about 2 months, the Buy-it-Now prices usually decrease a lot, too.

I bought each of those flicks for $20 each.

I will probably go the same route to get "Funky" and also "Josie in Outer Space".

#12 of 50 OFFLINE   Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 669 posts

Posted October 11 2010 - 06:22 AM

The set price is currently 30% off for $20.96!  The box art is also available now at wbshop.com.  This is a great price for the set.

#13 of 50 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,331 posts

Posted October 11 2010 - 07:58 AM

I tried looking for this set along with addams family on amazon.ca and it is not available. Does anyone have any links to this released from amazon's site? I like to pick up the addams family, josie and the pussycats in outerspace along with the funky phantom.

#14 of 50 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted October 13 2010 - 12:47 PM

Paul, those titles you mention are NOT available to Canadians at all, and not available at present at any Amazon site. ONLY available at WBshop.com, and because they are MOD titles these only ship to U.S.A. destinations.  My understanding for the latter is that there are US legal issues involved, so that MOD DVDs can't be shipped anywhere except domestically, but I don't know the details of that situation.  All I really know is that the studio won't do it.  If you have a friend in the USA, I suppose they can buy it and then re-sell it to you, shipping it to Canada in a more casual fashion.  OR you can wait until Amazon sells the title, eventually, through their CreateSpace program (WBshop MOD titles often seem to show up there sooner or later: http://tinyurl.com/2ech26c ). I've heard that Amazon.com is more lax about shipping MOD titles to non-domestic addresses.

DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#15 of 50 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,331 posts

Posted October 13 2010 - 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by David Lambert 

Paul, those titles you mention are NOT available to Canadians at all, and not available at present at any Amazon site. ONLY available at WBshop.com, and because they are MOD titles these only ship to U.S.A. destinations.  My understanding for the latter is that there are US legal issues involved, so that MOD DVDs can't be shipped anywhere except domestically, but I don't know the details of that situation.  All I really know is that the studio won't do it.  If you have a friend in the USA, I suppose they can buy it and then re-sell it to you, shipping it to Canada in a more casual fashion.  OR you can wait until Amazon sells the title, eventually, through their CreateSpace program (WBshop MOD titles often seem to show up there sooner or later: http://tinyurl.com/2ech26c ). I've heard that Amazon.com is more lax about shipping MOD titles to non-domestic addresses.

Thanks David!

I actually received a response from WB - see below

Hi Paul,
You may try amazon website
We are very sorry, but we cannot ship DVD or Blu Ray discs outside of the US due to licensing and distribution regulations. These products are also formatted differently for different regions of the world and the version that we sell would not play on DVD systems built for your region.

We apologize, but we do not have international release information. Please contact your local retailer for this information. Again, we are sorry for the inconvenience, but we hope you will look at the many other items that we have that are able to ship internationally.

Regards,
Kayleen
www.WBshop.com
1-866-373-4389
Monday-Friday 8:00 am 8:00 pm EST
Saturday 9:00 am to 6:00 pm EST

I am not going to bother with these release, because it is not worth the pain to go through different channels. It is more frustrating than anything around their site and its inability to support sales outside the USA. So, it makes me wonder how will MOD work if they have these issues around the release.

#16 of 50 OFFLINE   ChuckWL

ChuckWL

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted October 13 2010 - 01:12 PM

Im seeing Josies and the Pussycasts in Outer Space, Goober and the Ghost Chasers and also Adams Family coming in the next few weeks.  I hope they continue releasing more of these classics. I WILL BUY 4 SURE!!!

#17 of 50 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,331 posts

Posted October 13 2010 - 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by ChuckWL 

Im seeing Josies and the Pussycasts in Outer Space, Goober and the Ghost Chasers and also Adams Family coming in the next few weeks.  I hope they continue releasing more of these classics. I WILL BUY 4 SURE!!!

I would be more than happy that this option was available in Canada. I feel i am getting the short-end of the stick WB's around these type of releases. So, i am in a wait and see pattern.

#18 of 50 OFFLINE   Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 669 posts

Posted October 13 2010 - 02:14 PM

I am a huge Hanna-Barbera fan and I am excited to see all of these releases!  Let's see, last month saw "Thundarr" and "Pirates of Dark Water" and now this month adds 5 Hanna-Barbera titles with "Funky Phantom", "Goober and the Ghost Chasers", "Addams Family", "Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space" and finally, believe it or not, "Legends of the Superheroes."  This last one was a live action H-B production that starred Adam West and Burt Ward as Batman and Robin in 2 one hour specials that aired on NBC in 1979.  I have never seen it, but I have heard that it is really cheesy and I can't wait to get it.  It is also through the WHV MOD program.

#19 of 50 OFFLINE   derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 750 posts

Posted October 13 2010 - 02:25 PM

Kayleen has no idea where Canada is.

DVD region?  Don't they know Canada is also region 1?

Originally Posted by younger1968 

Hi Paul,
You may try amazon website
We are very sorry, but we cannot ship DVD or Blu Ray discs outside of the US due to licensing and distribution regulations. These products are also formatted differently for different regions of the world and the version that we sell would not play on DVD systems built for your region.

We apologize, but we do not have international release information. Please contact your local retailer for this information. Again, we are sorry for the inconvenience, but we hope you will look at the many other items that we have that are able to ship internationally.

Regards,
Kayleen
www.WBshop.com
1-866-373-4389
Monday-Friday 8:00 am 8:00 pm EST
Saturday 9:00 am to 6:00 pm EST

#20 of 50 OFFLINE   ChuckWL

ChuckWL

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted October 13 2010 - 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chenoweth 

I am a huge Hanna-Barbera fan and I am excited to see all of these releases!  Let's see, last month saw "Thundarr" and "Pirates of Dark Water" and now this month adds 5 Hanna-Barbera titles with "Funky Phantom", "Goober and the Ghost Chasers", "Addams Family", "Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space" and finally, believe it or not, "Legends of the Superheroes."  This last one was a live action H-B production that starred Adam West and Burt Ward as Batman and Robin in 2 one hour specials that aired on NBC in 1979.  I have never seen it, but I have heard that it is really cheesy and I can't wait to get it.  It is also through the WHV MOD program.

It really seems like MOD is kicking in high gear. I just ordered the whole lot of new HB releases. A kid in a candy store!