Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Uncharted: Drake's Fortune: The Motion Picture"

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 of 75 Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted October 08 2010 - 03:26 PM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

This is one of those projects that you're never really sure will ever happen, but it took a decent step forward today. David O. Russell (Three Kings, the upcoming The Fighter) has been hired as writer/director of the project, based on the current Sony video game series. If you've never played them, you've unfortunately missed out on two of the best blockbusters to come out in years.

http://www.variety.c...oryid=4076&cs=1

I wouldn't normally make a thread until there was an actual movie movie, but there's a very important matter at hand; the casting of Nathan Drake.

The character is clearly based on Nathan Fillion. They look the same, they sound the same, and Drake is written in a very Whedonesque tone. Everyone always suggests Fillion. Personally I think it's too on the nose, and very limiting from a creative standpoint.

Anyhow, Drake is in his mid 20's. Fillion is 40 and this is a franchise project, Fillion could be 50 by a 3rd film. He'll never be cast.

"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#2 of 75 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,505 posts

Posted October 10 2010 - 12:32 PM

I think David Boreanaz would be great for Nathan Drake.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#3 of 75 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted October 10 2010 - 03:32 PM

Boreanz is way too old for the part.  Mid-20s.   Though both he and Fillion would be ideal.. a few years ago.

This is going to go to a teen-heart-throb type.. I'm sure if they are serious the casting call has already went out to Taylor Lautner

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#4 of 75 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,386 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 11 2010 - 03:48 AM

Drake's physical appearance is actually based on Johnny Knoxville.  This is according to the developers themselves.  The Wiki article on the character mentions a bunch of other influences, including Harrison Ford, Bruce Willis, and Cary Grant, but no mention of Nathan Fillion.  (Which is not to say that I don't think Fillion would be a good choice.)

The actor who portrays Drake in the game (voice and mo-cap), Nolan North, might also work (and seems an obvious choice):

../../../image/id/378638/width/1000/height/500

And, mid-20s?  I don't think so.  He's way too experienced.  More like mid-30s.  A 40-year-old actor like Fillion or North would be fine.  Casting a teenager would be a huge mistake.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#5 of 75 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,505 posts

Posted October 11 2010 - 11:54 AM

Yeah, I don't buy the mid 20's thing either.  Drake's a not a kid, he's man (very subjective as far as what age that is, yes I know).

To me, he definitely seems more early to mid 30's.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Emily Rose should definitely be cast as as Elena Fisher.  Her voice acting for the games was great, and she looks just like the character.

Posted Image

#6 of 75 Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted October 11 2010 - 12:05 PM

He's 25 in the first game, his info is written on his passport or something. But Fillion's age problem has more to do with his carrying a franchise forward into the future. There's no way they'll get a teenager for the part, but I doubt they'll get anyone much older than 30 either.

"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#7 of 75 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,386 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 12 2010 - 04:15 AM

The passport was obviously a forgery. Posted Image

I can see the future franchise issue -- but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here; has any video game franchise ever gone beyond a second movie?  (Of course, if any one has the potential, it's probably this one.)

Johnny Knoxville is still under 40.  For a few more months, anyway. Posted Image

If we don't worry too much about Drake's exact appearance, someone like Chris Pine or Chris Evans (both are around 30) would be great for the part.  A little hair dye, a little makeup. . .

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#8 of 75 Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted October 12 2010 - 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman 

If we don't worry too much about Drake's exact appearance, someone like Chris Pine or Chris Evans (both are around 30) would be great for the part.  A little hair dye, a little makeup. . .

Well as I said, I don't think you should try and cast too closely to the video game creation or you lock yourself down too much. I've heard Chris Evans suggested before, my only problem there is that he's played a lot of 'likable assholes,' that's close to this character but Drake has a lot of heart and never crosses that line into asshole. If Evans played it though I'm sure that's all he'd be.

I hadn't considered Chris Pine, that's actually really good. And kind of interesting because then he'd be Cap't Kirk, Jack Ryan, and Treasure Hunting Nathan Drake. Like some kind of Harrison Ford Reincarnate. Posted Image

#9 of 75 Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted October 12 2010 - 07:09 AM

Chris Pine is starring in future Jack Ryan movies?  Which books are being made?  It can't be worse than the Sum of all Fears.

#10 of 75 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,386 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 12 2010 - 08:05 AM

And if Lucas ever decides to make the three Star Wars sequels he was originally considering, Pine can play Han Solo too!  Posted Image  (On a semi-related note, last night I watched Smokin' Aces and didn't even recognize him until I saw his name in the credits.)

I don't think of Chris Evans as so assholey, but then again I haven't seen the Fantastic Four movies.  Posted Image   I think he'd be fine as a wiseass-but-not-quite-asshole.

#11 of 75 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,505 posts

Posted October 12 2010 - 01:55 PM

Yeah, I like Chris Pine for the part as well.

#12 of 75 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts

Posted October 12 2010 - 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sean Bryan 

Yeah, I don't buy the mid 20's thing either.  Drake's a not a kid, he's man (very subjective as far as what age that is, yes I know).

David tore up his knee in the last season of Angel during a stunt, and I doubt he's down for a lot of stuntwork.

And yes, while I think either he or Fillion would be perfect, a studio head who wants the 18-25 demo who is the likely target of a video-game genre film will not be interested in either.

trakt.tv

#13 of 75 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,505 posts

Posted October 13 2010 - 12:11 PM

I realize that it will probably be difficult for many to not see the movie as "video-game genre" since it is, after all, based on a video game.  But I'm hoping that in making the movie the producers will look at the project more from an "adventure movie genre" perspective.

The game basically plays as a modern day Indiana Jones style adventure movie (a damn good one, too).  hope they focus more on that concept when considering casting, etc...  They'd be smart to not play up that it's "based on the hit video game" in advertising to the general public.  They should focus on marketing a kick-ass adventure movie.

But yes, I'd bet they'd still be looking "young-ish" when casting for a variety of reasons.  I just hope it's someone who can also convey Drake's experience as well (he's well educated at least in history, has had many adventures and heists, has spent time in prison, and has to have had at least some military training as well).  The dude's been around the block a few times.

... a studio head who wants the 18-25 demo who is the likely target of a video-game genre film will not be interested in either.

#14 of 75 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts

Posted November 24 2010 - 02:14 PM

Mark Wahlberg has officially been cast as Drake.

http://movies.ign.co.../1136763p1.html

trakt.tv

#15 of 75 Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted November 24 2010 - 04:23 PM

^^Mark Wahlberg has officially said "it's possible" and "we'll see what happens."

Hopefully what 'happens' is that he stays far far away, there's no way Wahlberg could ever bring anything close to the character from the game to life. If Drake is just going to end up an angry thug, I'll stay home.

#16 of 75 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted November 27 2010 - 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Zack Gibbs 

^^Mark Wahlberg has officially said "it's possible" and "we'll see what happens."

Hopefully what 'happens' is that he stays far far away, there's no way Wahlberg could ever bring anything close to the character from the game to life. If Drake is just going to end up an angry thug, I'll stay home.

Plan on staying home...

http://multiplayerbl...e-nathan-drake/

http://www.darkhoriz...ed-broken-city-

You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#17 of 75 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,561 posts

Posted November 28 2010 - 05:02 AM

Wy don't they give the actors that did the voices a crack at it? They both did good jobs in the games. I'd be more likely to go and see this film if the original actors from the game were in it. Do the producers of this film really think that Mark Wahlberg is somehow going to be a big drawing card? Fuck. This is why Hollywood movies generally suck. They  keep signing the same old burnt out "talent", expecting that a so-called "name" actor is going to pull in the audience. They should give some new blood a chance already. They haven't even written the script, but the bits I have read about + Mark Wahlberg + Joe Pesci + Robert DeNiro = avoid at all costs.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#18 of 75 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted November 29 2010 - 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Edwin-S 

Wy don't they give the actors that did the voices a crack at it? They both did good jobs in the games. I'd be more likely to go and see this film if the original actors from the game were in it. Do the producers of this film really think that Mark Wahlberg is somehow going to be a big drawing card? Fuck. This is why Hollywood movies generally suck. They  keep signing the same old burnt out "talent", expecting that a so-called "name" actor is going to pull in the audience. They should give some new blood a chance already. They haven't even written the script, but the bits I have read about + Mark Wahlberg + Joe Pesci + Robert DeNiro = avoid at all costs.

I'm sorry, but since when are these guys considered bad actors? Sure, they've made some awful choices, but to not see a movie because of them seems ridiculous. It also seems to me that some are ready to hate the entire project, even when there's hardly anything known about the movie.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#19 of 75 Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted November 29 2010 - 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Borst 
I'm sorry, but since when are these guys considered bad actors? Sure, they've made some awful choices, but to not see a movie because of them seems ridiculous. It also seems to me that some are ready to hate the entire project, even when there's hardly anything known about the movie.

I'm no fan of typecasting, nor do I think adaptions need or should be carbon copies of their source material. That doesn't mean you should ignore the source material, nor that any Actor can play any role.

Wahlberg can't play this role. He isn't capable of doing it, it's just not in him. Even if we allow for some change and originality for the character, he still needs to be "Nathan Drake," a fun, likable, intelligent, and somewhat witty adventurist. I don't think even one of those adjectives would fit a single of Wahlberg's roles to date. He generally plays naive, uneducated, or 'average' for a reason.

I don't think anyone said DeNiro and Pesci were poor actors. I think its just dreaming to have them in the movie in the first place, but if they are cast, that by itself is nothing to be upset about. That they said clearly they would be portraying Drake's Father and Uncle, is alarming. It points further to a drastic departure in character for Drake, and between the three of them a family of treasure hunting gangsters is starting to emerge.

All of that could possibly come together in an excellent adventure film, it just won't be Uncharted.

#20 of 75 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,386 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 29 2010 - 09:41 AM

Marky Mark does a lot of producing these days -- is he putting money into this project?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users