• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 10,654 posts

Posted October 08 2010 - 01:05 PM

I didn't see any posts about this new box set. I was curious if there was anyone here who has any thoughts on it, have it, heard it?

I'll be checking out the Hoffman threads. Perhaps they'll not be happy with the remastering done to all the tracks.

The box set itself looks very nice. A good companion to The Beatles set.

#2 of 6 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Advanced Member

• 5,332 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted October 08 2010 - 01:38 PM

It's too rich for me. Instead of paying $150 for this set, I paid $43 for the 4-disc, 72 track Gimme Some Truth compilation, and Double Fantasy Stripped Down (which is not included in the box set). That's enough Lennon for my tastes.

#3 of 6 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 10,654 posts

Posted October 08 2010 - 04:39 PM

Sure, the set is expensive! The compilation makes a lot of sense.

#4 of 6 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,558 posts

Posted October 09 2010 - 05:24 AM

I haven't gotten it yet, although I am sure I will. What made me hold off is that the Stripped Down version of DF is not included. I find that outrageous and inexcusable. That said, I have heard Stripped Down and it's the kind of thing we would have cherished as a bootleg over the years if we'd had it, but I think the original mixes are still the best.

I'm curious whether you think the remasters are improvements over the previous issues, particularly the remixing and remastering that was done about 10 years ago. My CDs are all about 22 or more years old, so I'm sure these are improvements over those, but the 2000 reissues were supposed to be pretty good from what I've read.

Looking forward to the Bob Dylan mono box in about 10 days.

#5 of 6 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• PipPipPip
  • 9,520 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 14 2010 - 03:27 AM

I was excited for this release, but for me personally, after the New York album Lennons output gets pretty sketchy.  I have that "Lennon" 4 disc comilation and I doub't I've listened to disc 3&4 of his later material more then a few times.  Plus this boxset isn't complete.  The plastic ono band live peace album is missing, as will as the live in NYC disc and Menlove Avenue.  At the price their charging, it should be complete I think.

I'm with Sam too, I'm looking forward to that Dylan mono set next week.  I'm picking it up on CD so I can listen to it now, and vinyl for when I have my player set up in the future.  supposedly the vinyl discs on that one featured no digital intermediates at anytime and sound amazing.  Can't wait!

My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#6 of 6 neli

neli

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted November 08 2010 - 11:19 PM

I have seen the box set that you have discussed it.It is too expensive only this thing i know it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users