What's new

Oppo BDP-93 & BDP-95 3D Blu-Ray Players (First Look) (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but, I understand these Oppos are pretty damn good. This new one here is supposed to replace the now discontinued BD-80 and BD-83. When I go blu, I'm still trying to decide on this one or a region free blu-ray player.

Summary:

• Product Name: BDP-93 Universal Blu-ray Player
  • Manufacturer: Oppo Digital
  • Review Date: September 23, 2010 10:00
  • MSRP: $499

Specifications:

• Blu-ray 3D support
  • Netflix streaming
  • CinemaNow
  • Wireless-N networking
  • Dual HDMI outputs
  • Marvell KYOTO G2 chipset with Qdeo video processig
  • eSATA port
  • Two USB ports

[COLOR= #000000]AUDIOHOLICS[/COLOR]: Just when you thought there wasn’t a better Universal Blu-ray player on the market for under $500 than the legendary BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player, Oppo proves you wrong by unveiling a new successor model: the BDP-93. Carrying the same retail price ($499), Oppo’s BDP-93 has upped the bar by adding new networking/streaming features, increased performance and improved build quality.
The Oppo BDP-93 will do virtually everything the BDP-83 BD player did, plus have some major feature upgrades as listed below:

• Blu-ray 3D support
  • Netflix streaming support
  • CinemaNow support
  • Additional network streaming features will be announced once partners certify the player. Oppo has divulged several of their potential partners to us and users should not be disappointed.
  • Wireless-N networking
  • Dual HDMI outputs. The two HDMI ports can be configured to support separate video and audio paths, or to support two displays at the same time.
  • Marvell KYOTO G2 chipset with Qdeo video processig(though prototypes were also built with the ABT2015)
  • eSATA port in addition to two USB ports

The new player is beautiful, with a brushed aluminum face plate and flush buttons. The tray even retracts so tightly into the front that it is virtually hidden when closed (note photos below). The connections on the back should look familiar, though Oppo has added a second HDMI that works off the circuitry powering the component video output – and it functions much in the same way, when it’s not being used as a dedicated audio output or mirrored HDMI out. This is an attractive player.

Physically, the Oppo BDP-93 is nearly identical to the BDP-83, with the same width and height, but about 1/2 less depth. It’s also got a little more heft to it. This player is brand new and, as such, there is little information that is known about it. Given that, we were very fortunate to be able to have a non-formal interview with Oppo over breakfast this morning to acquire some more information.

What Network functionality will be supported (IE. Pandora, Netflix, AppleTV, etc)?

The new player has Netflix and CinemaNow and more partners are being brought on board as we speak. [Oppo] cannot formally announce content partners until certifications are done. Based on customers inquires about networking features, Netflix has been the #1 request. Pandora is also in high demand. Apple TV is, of course, kind of exclusive so we will not be able to support it.

How do the dual HDMI outputs work?

The second HDMI output is, in functionality, very similar to how the component video output (still present) worked in the Oppo BDP-83. The difference is that you can use one HDMI for audio and one for video. You can also have dual outputs in parallel, and also you can specify a resolution for one of the outputs, which will engage the video processing on that output while leaving the other to output the native resolution of the disc. It’s incredibly flexible and the component video output can still mirror the HDMI output when resolution is set to 1080i or lower.

We noticed the lack of dedicated stereo outputs now – why is that?

Oppo realized that the intent of the player didn’t warrant the use of a dedicated stereo output anymore. For now, users can use the built-in bass management to fold the 7.1 analogue audio signal down to stereo for use in a Zone 2 setting, for example.

Do you have in mind a higher-end player like the BDP-83SE once this model ships?

Yes. We are working on a higher-end model that will, unlike the BDP-83SE, be built from the ground up for a higher quality analogue audio level of performance among other improvements and upgrades. This product isn’t yet scheduled for release, so it will be after the BDP-93 is well on the market.

Some common complaints about the BDP-83 were that the transport was “a bit flimsy and noisy”. Have you made any updated/improvements to the transport mechanism on the BDP-93?

Regarding transport rigidity and mechanical noise reduction, yes there are significant upgrades. The transport is a custom-built loader made by Tohei Group of Japan (http://www.tohei-hq.co.jp/cgi-bin/en/index.cgi). The laser pickup is still Sony. During the development of the transport we worked closely with Tohei to control and isolate the vibration caused by the high rotation speed and heavy motor parts of the Sony laser pickup.

Will the BD-93 offer HDBaseT support?

The new player will not support HDBaseT. Since most of the users will connect to a display or AVR nearby, we do not want to include the cost of HDBaseT in every unit. Installers who need to run long cables already have solutions for HDMI over fiber or Cat5.

Oppo didn’t announce a specific release date for the BDP-93, but they anticipate it will release as early as November, in time for the Christmas buying season. Oppo is running endless tests to ensure the product is right from the day it launches. This looks to be another winner and a product that is sure to keep Oppo in the lead with respect to dominating the price/performance zone for Blu-ray players.

For more information, check out [COLOR= #000000]http://oppodigital.com/[/COLOR].

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You can already register to be notified when the 95 comes out. It's set for a Feb release. Click here. In the meantime, here are the specs:

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I was thinking of getting the 83se because I use the analog outs but I think I'm going to wait and see what the 95 (Ithink that's what it will be called) is all about. I hope the 93 comes out sooner than later.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I was wondering about the region free functionality of it, too. I plan on finally going blu sometime in 2011, but I need one that's regionless. I'll obviously wait until it's hacked, assuming it can be, before I decide which brand I'll go with. Though, I understand the Oppos are top of the line.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by SWFF

I was wondering about the region free functionality of it, too. I plan on finally going blu sometime in 2011, but I need one that's regionless. I'll obviously wait until it's hacked, assuming it can be, before I decide which brand I'll go with. Though, I understand the Oppos are top of the line.

With only three regions for BD, and a ton of imports being region free, I'm curious as to why you want a region free player? What titles are currently only available in region B or C that you want?

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Well, in my defense, Adam, I don't pay attention to the blu-ray market since I don't have a player, and didn't know a lot of blu-ray imports are coming over regionless. Regardless, I still need one. In anticipation of the player I was going to get last year, but didn't due to my tube TV finally biting the dust thanks to my cat, I bought ARMY OF DARKNES: THE DIRECTOR'S CUT from DiabolikDVD, and it's region 3. So, I still need a machine to play that title, and am I correct in assuming a blu-ray player will also play standard DVDs?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Count me among those interested in region free playback, especially of the few Region 2/3 DVD's that I have. I would like to retire my old Oppo 970. I have also seen UK PAL blu-rays (at least according to amazon.co.uk) that I would like to see.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Pre-order emails went out today for those that signed up for or were on the Oppo notification list.

Brian

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I ordered one. :)

UPDATE: And it's on it's way!!!

Update UPDATE: For delivery on Wednesday

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
My BDP-93 is scheduled to arrive on November 30. I intend to eventually use it in the bedroom system to replace an old Oppo DV980H and a Samsung 2500. I'll probably try it in the main system for a bit. I have a Modwright BDP-83 in there now so I'd like to be able to evaluate it and understand what it can do.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Update update UPDATE: Received the Oppo BDP-93 yesterday. Because I recently moved into a new home (Oct 28), I still don't have my home theater and FP connected, so just viewing on a 1080p 46-inch LCD. Nonetheless, to my eyes, the picture is clearly better (sharper, more detailed) than the PS3 that I've been using for a BD player. Very attractive packaging with an excellent out-of-the-box experience. Smooth hardware operation and a nice setup/configuration interface, even though this is beta firmware.

The Netflix implementation is similar to the old Xbox 360 interface (before the recent system software update); however, the advantage is that the Oppo has a superior upscaling/processing chip so the output looks superior to the Xbox, PS3, and TiVo Premiere with the same material.

The Turkey Day agenda is to test its media streaming capabilities over my wireless network using both PS3 Media Server and PlayOn Media Server.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I got the oppo 93 last friday. its another fine player from the oppo and its still in the beta testing.

I can hopefully answer some questions if you like.

Jacob

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
its still in beta testing. so there are some bugs with it.. its pretty minor really. Its more ready then most players that are released.

do you have a specific issue that you want me to address?

Jacob

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I think that the new oppo will be a huge hit and be better then the 83. I thought that I was going to have a problem, but it seem to work it self out. its weird, but i keep finding new stuff to renew the interested of the player. here are a few thoughts. I am also posting some thoughts that included from my ealier posting (the other oppo pre-release thread.) as well. as a recap for some that have missed it.

love the duel hdmi imputs. its awesome. I like how I can connect to the tv and use the receiver for sound.

I like how the display is. yes its a bit dark like the other said. I like that it has the display broken up with one on one side and the other on the other side of the disc drive. the lettering is a bit smaller so its fine to use the full and not dim like the 83.

I have played alot of movies and dvds. they look great. PQ and sound is more or less the same or even better of the 83. those concern about that should be fine. this is oppo that we are talking about.

I did fine some titles that were not enhanced for widescreen like the abyss, conan the destroyer, 6 days seven nights, and true lies. I remember having this problem with the panasonic player as well. I am not really worried about.

for some that like to have everything that works. the bdlive works for the most part. its seems to work better with the internal flash more so then the usb unlike the 83 where I had to use the USB for the bdlive.

I am having a minor issue with the netflix, in which is its not very smooth. Its not bad like the sony player problem. still a minor problem. the format for the netflix works nicely. it can choose genre and favoites. most people will be pleased with that.

I just have a simple set up with the duel HDMI. no analogs.

the issues with predators and alien are not present in the oppo 93. things are good to go.

any other questions? feel free to ask.

Jacob

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Do you have the know how to hack it for regionless playback?

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have not heard anything yet for it. it will probably be only temp. they will probably have it like the 83 where you have to get the mod for it.

Jacob

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
A couple of questions:

1. How are the disc load times? I have an old Sony BDP-S350 that is fairly slow, and am interested in upgrading to something much faster.

2. How does the SD-DVD upscaling compare with the Oppo BDP-83?

3. You mentioned issues with non-anamorphic SD-DVD's -- specifically The Abyss. I thought the player was supposed to have an advanced scaler to handle these types of discs?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks