Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

No Chance In" H . . ." DVD releases?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

#1 of 70 OFFLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts

Posted October 06 2010 - 07:22 AM

Dear Guys:

This is a variation of a topic and I started a few months ago, when I asked what was the lowest rated show you voted for www.tvshowsondvd.com.

Outside of the Adam West Batman, Green Hornet, and Wonder Years, what tv shows would you say is the one or the few shows that you'd say, had the absolute "no way in  (expletive deleted) would ever come out on DVD?

Mine are:

Spy Games (from 1997, four unaired episodes). I loved that theme song, that sixties Avengerish feel to it. Light fun.

Domestic Life (from 1985) CBS Martin Mull sitcom, not great, not bad, But Mull was good in it, and had a good cast. Loved the kid who played Mull's son.

Young Maverick (from 1977-78). Loved the new rendition of the Maverick theme. Liked Charles Frank and Susan Blanchard's chemistry. They were married at the time. About 2-3 episodes only shown once--to my knowledge.

Chicago Teddy Bears (1971-2). Only 3-4 episodes made. A strange combination of Hogan's Heroes like antics set in thirties Chicago gangster antics. Strange childhood memory of the theme song.

Fired Up.  Late ninties sitcom starring Sharon Lawrence and what's her name from the King of Queens. Showed potential, shot down.

More later,

What are yours?

James

#2 of 70 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted October 06 2010 - 10:03 AM

"Eight Is Enough" may be another one due to legal rights issues unless that's changed recently.

- Dennis the Menace

- Ozzie and Harriot complete series sets

- How the West Was Won (miniseries)

- The Fugitive complete series set with 100% restored music

- The Rifleman complete remastered series set

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#3 of 70 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,141 posts

Posted October 06 2010 - 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff Willis 

"Eight Is Enough" may be another one due to legal rights issues unless that's changed recently.

- Dennis the Menace

I disagree with half of these. I would be very surprised if Dennis The Menace and Rifleman didn't see release at some point in the next couple of years. How the West Was Won I expect will eventually come out once Warner begins to do TV in their burn on demand program. I agree on O&H as there has never been much interest in the show since it left the network in 1966. As for The Fugitive, well I agree that will never happen as well.

#4 of 70 ONLINE   TV_Fan

TV_Fan

Second Unit

• 295 posts

Posted October 06 2010 - 10:33 AM

According to tvshowsondvd Eight Is Enough has no legal rights issues holding it up.  WB just hasn't gotten around to releasing it, due to the cost of remastering masters that are apprently not in too great a shape.  It's on their "long list".  In other words, don't hold your breath.  It would be nice if Shout! or Time Life could release it.

- Dennis the Menace

#5 of 70 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted October 06 2010 - 12:41 PM

Rags to Riches, an 80s Musical Dramatic Comedy set in the 60s featuring a rich guy adopting 5 girls (losing one after the pilot) that have the unique talent of bending and performing classic rock and roll and popular 60s music to their story needs. I loved this show and know many others that did as well. I imagine music clearance is an issue even though it isn't the actual old time performers singing them, rather it is the cast which include Tisha Campbell-Martin and Joseph Bologna. The pilot film was released on VHS, can't we at least get that?

Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#6 of 70 OFFLINE   FP62

FP62

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted October 07 2010 - 03:44 AM

I keep waiting for Please Don't Eat the Daisies and the five remaining seasons of Maude, but it doesn't seem very likely. Sigh.

#7 of 70 OFFLINE   derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 766 posts

Posted October 07 2010 - 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by JamesSmith 

Dear Guys:

what tv shows would you say is the one or the few shows that you'd say, had the absolute "no way in (expletive deleted) would ever come out on DVD?

Mine are:

Spy Games (from 1997, four unaired episodes). I loved that theme song, that sixties Avengerish feel to it. Light fun.

I really liked this show, actress Allison Smith is a favourite of mine.

http://en.wikipedia....Game_(TV_series)

#8 of 70 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted October 07 2010 - 05:43 AM

how about the following

1. Holmes and YoYo

2. Firehouse

3. Code Red

4. Sanford Arms

5.  Chopper One

6. Switch

7. Gloria

8. masquerade

9. outlaws

10. Enos

There are quite a few short-lived series that i doubt they will ever come out unless they are package together.

#9 of 70 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 07 2010 - 06:13 AM

I would lump practically any old (pre 1970) WB show ever produced into this category (i.e.  77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Bourbon St. Beat, Maverick, Lawman, Colt .45, Cheyenne, Sugarfoot, Bronco, Surfside 6, The Alaskans, The Dakotas, etc).  They have pretty much demonstrated, at least to me, that they have no love at all for all their classic western and private eye shows that many us would absolutely love to have released.

#10 of 70 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted October 07 2010 - 06:15 AM

How about my two "Holy Grails", the 1969 Animated:

1. Hot Wheels

2. Skyhawks

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,417 :biggrin: ( 757 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,424  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#11 of 70 OFFLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts

Posted October 07 2010 - 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by derosa 

I really liked this show, actress Allison Smith is a favourite of mine.

http://en.wikipedia....Game_(TV_series)

Thank you. I'm glad somebody else remembers the show.

James

#12 of 70 OFFLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts

Posted October 07 2010 - 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Regulus 

How about my two "Holy Grails", the 1969 Animated:

1. Hot Wheels

2. Skyhawks

Yep! I remember them. Those are very likely to fit into the "No Chance in . . ." category. But I do hope they come out for you.

You could also include the animated Fantastic Voyage, Journey to the Center of the Earth, the animated Doctor Doolittle (from the early 70's) and Around the World in 80 Days.

James

#13 of 70 OFFLINE   derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 766 posts

Posted October 07 2010 - 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by JamesSmith 

Thank you. I'm glad somebody else remembers the show.

James

Last time I looked, there was an episode on YouTube.

I'd love to get the series on dvd, and see the 4 episodes that never aired.

#14 of 70 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 07 2010 - 11:13 AM

Amos and Andy.

#15 of 70 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,580 posts

Posted October 07 2010 - 12:21 PM

Quote:

- Dennis the Menace

I'd agree with you on most of those picks, Jeff.  I do think there's an outside shot for us to still see Dennis and maybe Eight is Enough.  I have to agree with you that The Rifleman is now a major long shot.  The primary reason I'm not very hopeful about that one is that we apparently have lost the person or persons involved in the attempt to release a complete set last year.  If there is no longer a strong advocate for that series then its almost assuredly dead in the water.

From all I know about the Ozzie and Harriet original prints, it's an impossibility for us to see complete, uncut season sets.  My understanding is that those were destroyed back in the 80's or early 90's when the estate allowed the negatives to be cut for syndication on Disney.  I hope that information is wrong because I'd love to hold out some hope that we'd one day have that series on dvd, but I don't believe we ever will.

Originally Posted by Richard Villafana 

I would lump practically any old (pre 1970) WB show ever produced into this category (i.e.  77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Bourbon St. Beat, Maverick, Lawman, Colt .45, Cheyenne, Sugarfoot, Bronco, Surfside 6, The Alaskans, The Dakotas, etc).  They have pretty much demonstrated, at least to me, that they have no love at all for all their classic western and private eye shows that many us would absolutely love to have released.

You might be pleasantly surprised come 2011 with at least one of those shows.  Posted Image

Gary "I don't see any hope for The Fugitive in its original form" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#16 of 70 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted October 07 2010 - 01:24 PM

Anyone remember Kingston:  Confidential?

I didn't think so. Posted Image   (Consider yourself a true TV whiz kid if you do)

It was one of the few misfires in Raymond Burr's TV career and was his post Ironside attempt at a series.

Others I'd list that are unlikely to see a legal release anytime soon:

The New Perry Mason

The Eddie Capra Mysteries

Nero Wolfe (with William Conrad)

That's Hollywood (great clip series hosted by Tom Bosley)

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#17 of 70 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 824 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted October 07 2010 - 08:29 PM

90's rarity The Torkelsons (Almost Home) 

#18 of 70 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,680 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted October 08 2010 - 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Villafana 

Originally Posted by Gary OS 

You might be pleasantly surprised come 2011 with at least one of those shows.  Posted Image

Gary "I don't see any hope for The Fugitive in its original form" O.

I hope you're hinting "Maverick" there, Gary!

#19 of 70 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,141 posts

Posted October 08 2010 - 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link 

I hope you're hinting "Maverick" there, Gary!

I hope not. Between film and Encore, I put that one to bed a long time ago.

#20 of 70 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,141 posts

Posted October 08 2010 - 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Steve...O 

Anyone remember Kingston:  Confidential?

Sure, my friend has them all.