What's new

The good news: "Ruthless People" on DVD in '02! The bad news... (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
It looks like it may be movie-only.

If only we had Disney reps on here. Does this mean no theatrical trailer? If it doesn't, I'll be disappointed, and I won't want to hear their studio line either about how they have no theatrical trailer for this release. I have the trailer on my VHS of "Outrageous Fortune"...they could come to me for it.

I guess my query is:

Will it be "movie-only with trailer" or "MOVIE ONLY"?

Sincerely,

John "needs a Modern Woman" Kilduff

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I hope it's in the correct aspect ratio so that the gaffers tape used to block the actors isn't visible in some of the shots, the way it is on the full screen LD.

Neil

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
It's better to have a movie-only OAR release than feature-loaded P&S or none at all -- I'll buy if it's OAR.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Okay, I love OAR as much as the next HT aficionado. I would just like to see some extras for such a good movie. That's all I'm saying.

Sincerely,

John "Can I be forgiven for voicing my displeasure?" Kilduff

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
John, I apologize if I sounded harsh, all I was trying to say was that to me the most important part is the movie presentation itself. I'm in no way against extras (although I don't think it would do any good to just get a VHS transfer of the trailer and put it on DVD).

Jonathan_

Second Unit
More important is will it be 16x9 enhanced? No amount of features will sell me on it if it isn't enhanced.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Would Buena Vista release ANYTHING on DVD without 16x9 enhancement in this day and age? I don't think so...

...in other words, it probably will be 16x9-enhanced.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I love wrong numbers. :) And this movie. Let's hope they do it right.
- Steve

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Jeff, in response to your question: yes. Disney, just last month, released Sister Act on DVD for the first time. The transfer is non-anamorphic widescreen. Now, I'm not saying that Ruthless People won't be anamorphic, I'm just saying Disney would release a non-enhanced disc in this day and age.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
All I can tell you, guys, is that Disney

does read this forum.

Knowing Disney's great track record over the

past two years, I would expect at least a trailer

out of this.

Will K

Screenwriter
I love this movie, too and will be happy to have it in OAR(only way I'm going to buy it, Disney, BTW). As far as extras go, I'd like to hear a commentary with Bette and Danny DeVito. I can't imagine that Judge Reinhold and Helen Slater would be too busy to participate.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Would Buena Vista release ANYTHING on DVD without 16x9 enhancement in this day and age? I don't think so...
Yes, they would and they just did: Belle de Jour for one.
Unfortunately my faith in Disney's doing the right thing is rather limited – their track record in terms of anamorphic transfers, supplements compared to other studios in the US and the same films in other regions is less than ideal. True, they have produced some of the best DVDs out there on their flagship releases like the Toy Story box set, but there is great room for improvement elsewhere.
Ted

David Burns

Auditioning
Just checked prices at dvdpricesearch, and the specs there show this as 4:3.

Worse is that Pan & Scan is implied, as non-anamorphic WS titles show as LBX next to screen format. I checked known P&S titles, and they show as 4:3 next to screen format.

Don't know how reliable the specs they list are, but this could be very bad.

-DB

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I love wrong numbers.

- Steve

P.S.: They better do this movie right.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Just checked prices at dvdpricesearch, and the specs there show this as 4:3
I don't follow announcements on online retail sites too closely, but generally I get the impression that announcements sourced from online retailers regarding Disney titles tend to say the same thing. Then closely followed by outcries of "Disney sucks!" I might be wrong but I generally don't get that upset if an online retailer lists a Disney preorder as 4:3
Oh an by the way, welcome to the forum David :)

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
Does this mean no theatrical trailer? If it doesn't, I'll be disappointed
I'm not trying to be snotty here, but I just don't understand the appeal and necessity of seeing theatrical trailers. I don't even care so much about seeing trailers for movies I haven't seen (as trailers so often completely misrepresent movies), why should I care about seeing a trailer for a movie I have seen?
Just curious....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks