Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is this HDMI 1.4 cable fine?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,277 posts

Posted October 03 2010 - 01:38 AM

It's hard to believe I'm now looking at moving from

HDMI 1.3 to 1.4.

But that is what happens when upgrading to a 3D display.

So, basically, I know that one need not buy expensive
HDMI cable.

Someone let me know if this cable properly meets the

specs of delivering high performance 1.4 delivery.

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

Thanks

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,240 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 03 2010 - 07:23 AM

Oh man, I guess I'd better be learning this stuff myself.  In a few days I'll have a new 50" Panasonic VT25 which, thanks to a package deal at Best Buy, is also getting me a Panny 3D player and glasses -- which is hilarious because I've had absolutely zero interest in jumping on the 3D bandwagon.  And I'm still pretty "eh" about the whole thing.  But this deal for the TV itself made taking the package a no-brainer.  Anyway...

I told the salesman I already have high-speed HDMI cables (without telling him they're Monoprice), so am I set for cables?  He said yes.

But I don't know one version of HDMI from another.  Whatever I've had for watching movies up till now has worked.  In addition to cables, how about receivers?  I run everything through my Pioneer VSX-21TXH, but do I know what version of HDMI that's up to?  Hell no.  Does this even apply to receivers?

Normally I do the homework in advance, but as I said, this deal sort of plopped into my lap.  Thanks in advance...

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,240 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 03 2010 - 11:05 AM

A little more info.  Consistent with what Ronald posted, here are the HDMI cables I have.  MonoPrice's description states ""3D Support - Supports several different methods of rendering 3D images", but I don't see anything about HDMI version.

Components to receiver:

3FT 28AWG High Speed HDMI Cable w/Ferrite Cores

Receiver to TV:

20FT 22AWG CL2 High Speed HDMI Cable (went for heavier "professional" grade because of length)

Thanks again.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,120 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted October 03 2010 - 11:40 AM

This is from the HDMI.org site.

../../../image/id/374228/width/1000/height/500

So from what I can tell you just need to make sure your HDMI cable if rated as High Speed and that the
additional Ethernet Channel-enabled is not needed for 3D.

I would be willing to use the high quality HDMI cables that I have from Blue Jeans Cable and

see how well it works with a 3D system before spending the extra money on a cable I don't need.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,277 posts

Posted October 03 2010 - 11:57 AM

Blue Jeans was my first source for cables.

However, they certainly aren't labeling any of them

as being 1.4 or high speed compatible.

In this transitional and very confusing time of moving

towards a new cable standard I would have hoped that

all cable vendors would post better product information.

Most people right now are very uneducated about the

new 1.4 standard.   I feel stupid asking a question about

HDMI cable.  With 1.3 I knew that I could go for cheap HDMI

solutions.  However, moving up to 1.4 there now seems to

be this "unknown" as to what kind of cable to buy and if

you need to spend more money than you would have with 1.3.

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,952 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted October 04 2010 - 02:15 AM

To me, the most telling point is that the PS3 just had a firmware update that made it "3D Enabled".  The PS3 is an HDMI 1.3 device.  HDMI 1.4 is a hardware spec - it can't be updated without replacing some sort of hardware component.  Therefore, the HDMI 1.3 PS3 is either completely capable of creating full HD 3D, OR everyone who owns a PS3 has been lied to, and the recent firmware update isn't what it's claimed to be.

I find I extremely unlikely that the latter is true.

HDMI 1.4 provides audio return channel and ethernet capability, neither of which is required for 3D.  It's been widely regarded since the dawn of HDMI that the cables have had the bandwidth capacity to easily carry full 1080p video and then some.  It bugs me to no end that the HDMI team themselves are contributing to this idea of "fast, faster, fastest" cables... but that's a rant for another time.

I find it much more likely that hardware devices (like A/V receivers) would be the bottleneck in the video stream - hence the requirement that the hardware be 1.4 compliant.

Of course, this is just my thought process - I don't have any firsthand experience with 3D (and don't anticipate having any in the foreseeable future).

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,120 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted October 04 2010 - 05:29 AM

The guys at Blue Jeans Cable sent me the following.

The cables you currently have will be all you need.
I would recommend reading these articles, which provide information concerning 3D TV and the truth behind what cabling is actually required.
http://blogs.consume...ray-player.html
http://www.msnbc.msn...ech_and_gadgets

So really no need to upgrade cables if you already have some good ones from companies like Blue Jeans Cable.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,277 posts

Posted October 04 2010 - 05:47 AM

All the cables I own are from Blue Jeans Cable so I am good to go.

Ronald J Epstein

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,240 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 04 2010 - 06:17 AM

What excellent -- lucid and helpful -- articles!  Thank you.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted October 04 2010 - 07:32 AM

I can state that the PS3 does indeed handle 3D, and as well as the Sammy BD player that came with my bundle.

What they did do on PS3 was limit the bandwidth requirement by not providing lossless audio with 3D (so I've heard)  since I have no way to test that, I'll just assume it is true.

The parts-n-pieces in the PS3 are probably fully capable of transmitting the data at the rates needed for 3D, and only a little software tweaking was needed to read the disk and transmit the data in the proper format.

Besides, I'd be willing to bet that barbed wire would transmit HDMI at full rez.

--ignore the man behind the curtain