Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What Options are there to play HD content from Internet on TV

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Emperor

Emperor

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted October 01 2010 - 05:52 AM

I'm looking at setting up a system to play Internet content on my TV.  I've heard that you can hookup a gaming system to accomplish this or there are components that are available that are specifically designed for this.

I'm only interested in HD content as I've got 60 inch TV and surround setup so I want to be able to enjoy these AV investments.  This means the system needs to also support real surround signal, in my case this would be optical connection,  I've got an older Yamaha system that only has optical input for 5.1 surround..

How can I do this and what will give me most robust system that will play most common file formats?

From the little knowledge I know on this topic I'm thinking about a PS3 or xbox because for around $200 I get a Blu-ray player and net-workable system that will play HD with 5.1 and a gaming system to boot.  Gaming system is last reason for this system.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted October 01 2010 - 08:14 AM

Yes, Xbox, PS3 and Wii all do this but you are limited in the different services.  Home theater PC's are more flexible but also more expensive and not user friendly.  There are different media players available but the one that always gets talked about is the Popcorn Hour - http://www.popcornho...om/onlinestore/

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   JackKay

JackKay

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted October 02 2010 - 01:51 AM

Check out Best Buy's Q and A about Google TV here

http://www.bestbuy.c...cat219900050006

The Logitech Revue set top box is going to have PR Press release Oct 6th.

Sony will do the same on Oct 12th showing off their new TV with Google TV inside. Sony is also going to put it in a new Blu-ray player and have a STB of their own.  Might be worth a wait and see.

Also there is the Boxee Box due in November I think, read about it here

http://www.amazon.co...2&s=electronics

"I believe in censorship. After all, I made a fortune out of it." -Mae West

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Emperor

Emperor

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted October 02 2010 - 07:41 AM

I'll have to do a little reading from these sites.  Thanks for the links and update on current releases of new tech.

Anybody have these...what do you think of the reliability and flexability of the system?

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted October 02 2010 - 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by JackKay 
Also there is the Boxee Box

Not to be confused with the internet meme Boxxybabee -