What's new

WEBSTER on DVD! (1 Viewer)

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Thanks to TVShowsonDVD.com for this news: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Webster-DVDs-Planned/14483

And a BIG thanks to Shout! for putting this little gem out. I remember watching this show as a kid and am thrilled to see it's finally getting offered on DVD.

Now, get Diff'rent Strokes going again and I'll give Shout! gift baskets for quite some time.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man

Even bigger news is a CBS/Paramount show coming from Shout.

I wonder if the series is fully owned by CBS/Paramount or co-owned with the production company.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
I'll definitely be getting this! It seems CBS Paramount is finally licensing some of their stuff out. I hope Webster is just one of many shows already licensed out to Shout! Isn't Car 54 also owned by CBS Paramount? If so then it seems they have opened the door to licensing.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
I have a feeling the My Three Sons fans are hoping Shout! may now get a crack at it and get the show out edit-free. As for me, well, if this goes well, I do hope more classic titles are coming. Well, it's official to me... Shout IS the premiere TV on DVD game in town.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
And I thought I was the only one excited about this.

I'm glad this is coming from Shout! and not Paramount. There is a fair amount of music on the show, especially from any episode with Ben Vereen. Under Paramount every note of music would be gone.

I hope it gets to the end, as I personally liked the later seasons better, at least I did when it was on cable in the late 1990s. Also, it seemed in the late 1990s every TV market you could find reruns of this show on at ungodly hours of the morning.

Now if only could they get their hands on the rest of Family Ties, and finish Diff'rent Strokes (which I'm surprised Shout! didn't try first, with two cast member deaths and their continuation of Facts of Life) and Silver Spoons I don't ever have to grow up. And finish Mr. Belvedere (the other half of ABC's pre-TGIF ex-jocks with sitcoms duo).

TV_Fan, I heard about Car 54 coming from Shanachie, who did the Abbott & Costello show.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Does this series hold up as good as say, Silver Spoons, Punky Brewster, and Diffrent strokes? Because I havent watched an episode of Webster since the early 80s.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Xenia Zannikos

Does this series hold up as good as say, Silver Spoons, Punky Brewster, and Diffrent strokes? Because I havent watched an episode of Webster since the early 80s.

Same here. Haven't seen the show since it went off the air, so how it would honestly hold up is hard to say, but given it is well remembered, at least the first season should be OK and I don't recall it being on longer than four years, so it's a title Shout! can get out realitively fast. But yeah, hope Shout! gets Spoons and Strokes done too, as well as 227, Amen and Empty Nest.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
The DVD's will arrive in an adorable little package with a wise-beyond-its-years attitude. Then it will promptly be adopted by an upper middle class couple and given its own network TV series.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Originally Posted by Xenia Zannikos webster-on-dvd#post_3734986

I would say it holds up as well as the shows you mention which is great for me. Some others may say that it doesn't or wouldn't hold up but they would generally not be interested in those shows you listed either. I had some recorded on tape and watched them until about 8 years ago or so when my tape collection took on the moldy whiteness that destroys new vcrs audio capabilities. For some reason I got to stay up in the middle of the night to watch Webster reruns before Disneyland reruns would air and after Three's Company reruns after Alice reruns. I miss those days, so much better than the now with crawfish to eat and Doctor Who...ahhhh.........

I would think if you still like Punky you would still like Webster. The series felt somewhere in between Punky Brewster and Diff'rent Strokes. It is hard to explain, all three have a similar theme but Punky feels a certain way, maybe more brightness and sweetness in spite of sadness and loss whereas Diff'rent Strokes, while certainly approaching those issues seems more mainstream sitcom to me. All three great shows and I'm certain you will enjoy it still or if you don't recall or remember it and like those others you mention then it is worth the try. By the by, Silver Spoons was great too, I always wanted these four shows to crossover along with Gimmie a Break. We did kind of have some crossovers of sitcom kids in the Andy Williams Christmas Specials. If only Shout could bring those to DVD.

Webster is closer to Punky in personality and closer to Arnold in situation.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Tory, I appreciate that detailed explanation, thanks !!! From the way you describe it, it sounds like ill still like it. What really sold me on it, is your last sentence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks