Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Star Ceilings... Painted vs. Fiber optics

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 of 47 OFFLINE   nightsky

nightsky

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted May 24 2012 - 05:37 PM

Dan, sorry... I just saw your message. To answer you , it might be better to talk with you on the phone. A short answer here will not help you, or your client. You can either contact me on my website or text me at 801.599.9836 Remind me that you are the artist from the home Theater Forum that is painting a ceiling for your client... and I will remember you . Then if I have time I can call and walk you through what you are needing, or we can text. Hope this helps... Jeff Night Sky Murals

I am a professional artist and Mural painter, however this is the first home theater star ceiling I have done . I was going to paint a day sky for when the lights are on and a night sky for when the lights are off. The theater is being built with a sofit and a trey ceiling with inset black light rope inset around the whole thing. I have done a lot of work for this client and they have 100% confidence in me but I would like some advice on products etc. Do I have to keep the base mural very light? Thanks, Dan

#42 of 47 OFFLINE   nightsky

nightsky

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted May 24 2012 - 05:40 PM

Hi Rose... I am located in Salt Lake City... but work everywhere, but here. Are you asking what I charge to paint the murals or to train someone to paint them? And, you can find paint online from a few places. I have mentioned a couple places already in a few other answers I've done tonight. You can also contact me from my website. If I don't answer right away... keep after me and I will eventually get back with you. Jeff Night Sky Murals

Hi! I'm really interested in your design! Where are you from? How much do you charge? Hey guys! I absolutely love this idea and would love to try it out. Does anybody know where to get the glow in the dark paint used? What brand is it? Thanks

#43 of 47 OFFLINE   nightsky

nightsky

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted May 24 2012 - 06:17 PM

For those who are either going to do a "painted" DIY star ceiling, or have one painted by someone else, and are wondering about lights to charge up the paint... I have found that certain LED lights actually will charge up the paint. In past research with an LED company, nothing would do much to charge up the paint. BUt, the LED's that came in a cheap Black Light flashlight... does a great job at charging the paint, and also works well with fluorescent paints (that only show up under a black light). I have seen black lights in heavy panels that are available, but it would be great if they came in strips of different sizes that could be connected together. If anyone has seen anything like that... that would be a good thing to share with others in this thread. I'm still not sure they are powerful enough to reach way out on a ceiling... but a 21 LED and a 53 LED flashlight charged part of a mural that I tested them on over 12 feet away. So... this is promising. Jeff Night Sky Murals

#44 of 47 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted February 02 2013 - 10:33 AM

Very cool, but I wouldn't want the ceiling lit like that while watching a movie.

#45 of 47 OFFLINE   alta4444

alta4444

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 15 2013 - 05:03 PM

From all the photos I have seen your work looks the best. Do you ever get up to Canada? Im in Calgary and would definately be interested in having you paint a night sky in a theatre room we are currently constructing. If not is there someone you can recommend up here? If you cant recommend anyone up north can you tell me the stencil company that you recommend using and I might give it a go myself? Thanks for all the info and expertise that you share with us. Steve.

#46 of 47 OFFLINE   NightSkyMurals

NightSkyMurals

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted November 08 2013 - 01:03 AM

Very cool, but I wouldn't want the ceiling lit like that while watching a movie.

That's not a problem. The stars react like the real stars and usually disappear from the light of the movie. For those who do want to see stars, they usually need to turn on black lights so the stars will fluoresce. With the room totally dark, the stars glow for hours.

#47 of 47 OFFLINE   NightSkyMurals

NightSkyMurals

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted November 08 2013 - 01:10 AM

Hi Steve. I do, in fact, get up to Canada. I was just up near Toronto a month ago... so not a problem.

I've gotten an email recently from someone in Calgary. Was that you? I'll look it up tomorrow. If it wasn't you, please email me and we can discuss what you're looking for. You can also send me a message from www.NightSkyMurals.com

I'll try to help you in any way I can.

Jeff

From all the photos I have seen your work looks the best. Do you ever get up to Canada? Im in Calgary and would definately be interested in having you paint a night sky in a theatre room we are currently constructing. If not is there someone you can recommend up here? If you cant recommend anyone up north can you tell me the stencil company that you recommend using and I might give it a go myself? Thanks for all the info and expertise that you share with us. Steve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users