Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Arthur Penn dead at 88

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted September 29 2010 - 04:49 PM

http://www.nytimes.c...&ref=obituaries

“Arthur Penn brought the sensibility of ’60s European art films to American movies,” the writer-director Paul Schrader said. “He paved the way for the new generation of American directors who came out of film schools.”

Many of the now-classic films of what was branded the New American Cinema of the 1970s — among them Martin Scorsese’s “Taxi Driver” and Francis Ford Coppola’s “Godfather” — would have been unthinkable without “Bonnie and Clyde” to lead the way.

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#2 of 4 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,124 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted September 30 2010 - 04:30 AM

Watched Bonnie & Clyde a few months ago. But it's been a while since I watched Little Big Man, so this weekend maybe.

R.I.P.

Hmmm I always thought he was related to Sean.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#3 of 4 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted September 30 2010 - 05:16 AM

The full Times obit is well worth reading. It's probably impossible to overstate his influence. Her worked in movies, TV and on the stage. He directed The Miracle Worker in all three media and directed Anne Bancroft to both a Tony and an Oscar. I'm sure someone has counted up the number of acting awards and nominations for which he was the responsible director. The numbers will be impressive.

I saw his last Broadway production, Fortune's Fool, with Alan Bates and Frank Langella. (It was also Bates's last live performance.) It was a 19th century play that felt utterly contemporary, because it was an ultimately sad story told with long stretches of farcical comedy -- the kind of thing that only a skilled director would know how to balance and modulate. Both Bates and Langella won awards.

Penn loved to be surprised by performances. He had the spirit of an indie filmmaker.

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#4 of 4 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,017 posts

Posted September 30 2010 - 08:29 AM

It's not one of his better-known movies, but I liked Penn & Teller Get Killed.  Last night, Teller shared a few brief thoughts and stories of working with (Arthur) Penn via Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/MrTeller

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users