What's new

Arthur Penn dead at 88 (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/30/movies/30penn.html?_r=1&ref=obituaries

“Arthur Penn brought the sensibility of ’60s European art films to American movies,” the writer-director Paul Schrader said. “He paved the way for the new generation of American directors who came out of film schools.”

Many of the now-classic films of what was branded the New American Cinema of the 1970s — among them Martin Scorsese’s “Taxi Driver” and Francis Ford Coppola’s “Godfather” — would have been unthinkable without “Bonnie and Clyde” to lead the way.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Watched Bonnie & Clyde a few months ago. But it's been a while since I watched Little Big Man, so this weekend maybe.

R.I.P.

Hmmm I always thought he was related to Sean.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The full Times obit is well worth reading. It's probably impossible to overstate his influence. Her worked in movies, TV and on the stage. He directed The Miracle Worker in all three media and directed Anne Bancroft to both a Tony and an Oscar. I'm sure someone has counted up the number of acting awards and nominations for which he was the responsible director. The numbers will be impressive.

I saw his last Broadway production, Fortune's Fool, with Alan Bates and Frank Langella. (It was also Bates's last live performance.) It was a 19th century play that felt utterly contemporary, because it was an ultimately sad story told with long stretches of farcical comedy -- the kind of thing that only a skilled director would know how to balance and modulate. Both Bates and Langella won awards.

Penn loved to be surprised by performances. He had the spirit of an indie filmmaker.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
It's not one of his better-known movies, but I liked Penn & Teller Get Killed. Last night, Teller shared a few brief thoughts and stories of working with (Arthur) Penn via Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/MrTeller

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks