What's new

Star Wars Trilogies Coming to Theaters in 3-D (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b202978_star_wars_trilogies_coming_theaters_in.html?cmpid=rss-000000-rssfeed-365-topstories&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
It's sad that Lucasfilm will spend the money to do pointless 3-D conversions on these movies but won't invest the money to restore the original-original trilogy.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
--It will be a good way for younger kids to see it for the first time. As for me, I'm done with Star Wars. I can't be a kid forever.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
From http://www.starwars.com/movies/saga/announce3d/index.html :

Lucasfilm Ltd. announced today that the live-action Star Wars Saga will be converted to 3D! There are few movies that lend themselves more perfectly to 3D; from the Death Star trench run to the Tatooine Podrace, the Star Wars Saga has always delivered an entertainment experience that is completely immersive. Presented by Twentieth Century Fox and Lucasfilm Ltd., the cutting edge conversion will take that immersion to the next thrilling level, with Industrial Light & Magic supervising the project. Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace is expected to be released theatrically in 2012. A release date has not yet been determined.

"Getting good results on a stereo conversion is a matter of taking the time and getting it right," said John Knoll, Visual Effects Supervisor for Industrial Light & Magic. "It takes a critical and artistic eye along with an incredible attention to detail to be successful. It is not something that you can rush if you want to expect good results. For Star Wars we will take our time, applying everything we know both aesthetically and technically to bring audiences a fantastic new Star Wars experience."

It sounds like they are going to do a good conversion, hence the years to turn it around instead of the typical conversion that takes weeks.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill

It sounds like they are going to do a good conversion...

My gut instincts tell me that "good conversion" is an oxymoron. Unfortunately, I don't think I can be coerced into paying the 3D price premium to find out if that's a correct assumption or not.

I'll be mildly curious to hear what folks think of the results, but I can't see myself going any further than that.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
So, once you reach a certain age it's no longer possible to enjoy Star Wars? Does that hold true for movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Superman and E.T. as well or just SW?

Originally Posted by Bryan^H

--It will be a good way for younger kids to see it for the first time. As for me, I'm done with Star Wars. I can't be a kid forever.

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Sounds like a great idea to me. I look forward to taking my daughter to see them when they are released.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
For the amount of money most of us have spent on these films, these gimick versions should be free admitance.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
George Lucas announced the release of a stereoscopic conversion once before, for May 2007 on the 30th anniversary, and it didn't happen. The 3-D footage converted by Real-D was screened at a trade show and failed to pass muster. I thought he abandoned this idea when he saw how problematic it was for Real-D to convert a special-effects-layered film. Is Real-D no longer involved? If ILM and Lucasfilm are doing it themselves, they'll have to reshoot a substantial amount of footage to make a stereoscopic conversion work.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I don't think the prequels are going to do as well in theaters as Lucasfilm is maybe banking on.

Parts of the hardcore Star Wars fanbase will go, but I don't think most of the general public is dying to revisit the world of Jar-Jar and Anakin's awkward years.

Given the fact they're also all coming out on Blu-Ray soon ... I dunno.

This is not going to be anything like the 20th anniversary re-releases of Star Wars where I think there was quite a bit of interest from the general public. Those films were much more beloved in '97.

I think Titanic 3D will do alright though.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
He should take the money that is being spent on this useless exercise and try making something original already. What's happening with the "Red Tails" movie that he was making?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
After thinking about it a bit more...

When you consider how large a role CGI played in creating the environments in the prequel trilogy, it's not inconceivable to think they can go back to the digital files and "re-render" in stereoscopic. They would then use some form of "layering" for the actors and other live action elements.

Of course, all this coming from someone with ZERO experience in filmmaking...

In contrast, the original trilogy would be another beast entirely. Lots of optical effects and mostly practical models mean that there's nothing but the flat film elements from which to work.

I can see the results of the conversion being more successful with the Episodes I-III than with IV-VI.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Edwin-S

He should take the money that is being spent on this useless exercise and try making something original already. What's happening with the "Red Tails" movie that he was making?

I'd much rather see the money spent on the live-action TV series that has been talked about since 2005 than converting the saga to 3D.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Yes, Episodes 1-3 could probably be largely re-rendered. Episodes 4-6 would take more effort, which is why they have longer to work on them.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'd rather see the money spent on Star Wars Parts 7-9. those were rumoured at the same time as the prequels. then Lucas decided he was to old to make them after doing the prequels. Something like that. Lame anyways.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The 3-D footage converted by Real-D was screened at a trade show and failed to pass muster.

I am a bit surprised.

I saw that 3D conversion and thought it wasn't
that bad. It's at least decent enough to enjoy but

with these new projects planned I would bet

LucasFilm would look at it as an embarrassment.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

I saw that 3D conversion and thought it wasn't
that bad. It's at least decent enough to enjoy but

with these new projects planned I would bet

LucasFilm would look at it as an embarrassment.

I had heard that that footage looked pretty good too. I know it's not like LFL would say "Gee, that sucked" but I remember reading news stories saying that it was pretty cool looking. That being said, I'm sure with an extra half of a decade with the 3-D technology growing, the new conversion looks much better.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brent M

So, once you reach a certain age it's no longer possible to enjoy Star Wars? Does that hold true for movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Superman and E.T. as well or just SW?

It's the politics behind it. If Raiders of the Lost Ark was tampered with, and changed(forever), re-released, a prequel movie made that I hated, another re-re-release...then yeah I'd be soured on that film too. As far as I'm concerned when the suits step in and try to milk every red dime from a popular franchise, the once magical movie becomes stale to me. I'm not burned out on Star Wars, I just don't care anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks