-

Photo
- - - - -

Occasional "snow"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 LEAFguy

LEAFguy

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted September 27 2010 - 01:00 PM

I get occasional "snow" via HDMI connected components. I can still hear audio with "snow" on the screen. My components are as follows:

I have a Scientific Atlanta cable box/dvr > Yamaha RX-V463 > Panasonic C50FD18A (costco 50" plasma).

Lg BD390  > Yamaha RX-V463 > C50

I also have a Wii plugged directly into the television. Interestingly, I get no snow when viewing the Wii. My suspicion is that it is an issue with the receiver. Has anyone experienced this? Any idea what could be causing it?

Thanks

#2 of 8 LEAFguy

LEAFguy

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted September 30 2010 - 07:51 AM

So... I take it no one here has experienced anything like this. Thanks for looking.

#3 of 8 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,125 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted September 30 2010 - 09:49 AM

Have you swapped HDMI cables to eliminate them as the problem?

#4 of 8 LEAFguy

LEAFguy

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted October 01 2010 - 06:47 AM

Thanks for the reply Robert. Yes I have. I started out with generic cables that I got from Frys electronics, and since bought some from Blue Jeans Cable. The snow does not overlay the video (ghost image). All we see is static. Usually cycling power on all components clears it up, but sometimes this needs to be done more than once. I just have never seen this happen to anyone else, and was curious about its occurrence. I suppose it could be the television, but as I said in my first post, it hasn't happened with the Wii direct into the tv, so I suspect the receiver.

#5 of 8 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,125 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted October 01 2010 - 08:07 AM

Sounds like it is the receiver.  Do you have other HDMI components that you can run through the receiver?  Do you have access to another receiver with HDMI capability?

#6 of 8 Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted October 01 2010 - 08:21 AM

Try connecting the HDMI sources directly to the set, bypassing the receiver, to see if the receiver is the cause of the problem.

Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#7 of 8 LEAFguy

LEAFguy

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted October 01 2010 - 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Schaffer 

Try connecting the HDMI sources directly to the set, bypassing the receiver, to see if the receiver is the cause of the problem.

Sometimes the obvious solution is so obvious that we miss it. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a shot.

#8 of 8 Bruce100

Bruce100

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted October 08 2010 - 11:11 PM

A kind of the great post of the forums