What's new

The Lucy Show: The Official Third Season ... comes out November 30th, 2010! (1 Viewer)

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Great coverart this season! Love the orange border and Lucy in the doorman's uniform.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
GREAT news. I was more worried about The Lucy Show being released in it's entirety than I was Here's Lucy, so it's good to know we're half-way there. We'll most probably see them all released, unless there's a HUGE drop in sales after the Vance years.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by JohnMor

GREAT news. I was more worried about The Lucy Show being released in it's entirety than I was Here's Lucy, so it's good to know we're half-way there. We'll most probably see them all released, unless there's a HUGE drop in sales after the Vance years.

You shouldn't be worried about Here's Lucy as MPI has said time and time again that they are committed to releasing all six seasons. I don't think they will back out on that promise. However, I would be a little bit worried about The Lucy Show as CBS is going the "if sales are high, we will continue to release seasons" approach. We all know that later seasons are universally viewed as substandard to the Vance years. This view might, unfortunately, translate into a sales drop-off or even low sales. If that is the case, we may not see the series get released in its entirety. And CBS/Paramount has shown with a number of series that once a series underperforms or doesn't meet studio expectations in DVD sales that it will become a stalled series (Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Mork and Mindy, The Beverly Hillbillies, ect.). The Lucy Show may fall into this category. As a fan of this series, I hope it doesn't but I know how much those later seasons are hated. But as for the time being, I am thrilled that CBS/Paramount is releasing the third season right before the holidays. That marketing strategy most likely will equate to strong sales. If season three does prove to be a solid in sales, then most likely we will get season four. But I am worried that once people get their hands of season four that they may not want to get the remaining two seasons afterwards. Because in my view, season four is the weakest season of the series. I think the one thing that might attract potential buyers to the season five and six releases is special features. Because, afterall, some of them may just want the special features and not necessarily the season itself. Of course, the die-hard Lucy Show fans will want both the season worth's of episodes AND the special features. I just hope that CBS/Paramount and the DVD producers of Lucy Show series are in the brainstorming stage now when it comes seasons five and six. Those two seasons most likely will be the hardest to sell; however, that can be overcome with special features that are spectacular and unique.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TV Shows on DVD is reporting that Paramount's facebook page is giving out early info on Season 4.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Lucy-Season-4/14477

That's right, Season Four.

Now, time for MPI to get Here's Lucy back on track.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Wow! That certainly surprised me. They are moving quicker than I expected with these and I'm so glad. They have realized that Lucy's other shows DO sell. I'm guessing "Here's Lucy" Season 4 will be out in February 2011. I think we will most-likely see "The Lucy Show" complete on dvd afterall.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I hope they don't chicken out on Season 5, because all but one episode of that season has been available on P.D. releases for many years.

For Season 5, if they don't include the "Lucy in London" hour special, I'll be mighty surprised.

I think of that special as really being a part of the series, anyway, for the following reasons: It originally ran in the same time slot; it was preceded by an episode of Lucy on the plane flying to London; and they only did 22 regular episodes that season instead of 24, presumbably figuring the hour could be broken into two half hours for syndication, making 24 half hours.

Now, music clearance rights for it might make it cost prohibitive. It also isn't very good, and it's incredibly dated, with its view of "mod" London in the so-called "swinging Sixties." But it's the principle of the thing, right?

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

Originally Posted by Robert13

Wow! That certainly surprised me. They are moving quicker than I expected with these and I'm so glad. They have realized that Lucy's other shows DO sell. I'm guessing "Here's Lucy" Season 4 will be out in February 2011. I think we will most-likely see "The Lucy Show" complete on dvd afterall.

I am guessing that MPI will be done with Here's Lucy, at least, by early 2012 if not sooner than that. As with The Lucy Show it is hard to tell. Because after the third season comes the first California season with Vivian Vance no longer being apart of the show. And I am sure that there are some fans out there that will stop buying after season three. And I am worried that the show will experience a significiant drop in sales with season four. I just hope people won't be put off by season four (because trust me there are some pretty silly episodes in this season - some of the most silliest of the entire series) to the point of them not wanting the other two California seasons officially on DVD. And let's not forget ... CBS/Paramount might run into problems with season five and six given that the show became more musical. And of course, then there's those stupid public domain releases that have been and are constantly being released. I just don't know. Season four might cause an obstacle in the road and seasons five and six might be obstacles. The true test for the show, I think, will be CBS/Paramount's pending interest in continuing it on DVD after season four or not.

I really don't trust CBS/Paramount at this point given their track record of abandoning series regardless that they were hits during their original runs such as The Beverly Hillbillies and Mork and Mindy (both abandoned after season 3), Petticoat Junction and My Three Sons (both abandoned after season 2), Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley (both abandoned after season 4). The one show that managed to make it was Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. but that is probably due to the large fanbase of The Andy Griffith Show. Hopefully there will be enough Lucy fans to carry The Lucy Show to completion on DVD.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I'd say if they abandon "The Lucy Show," fans will pester them to license it to some other company, like Shout. I wish they'd consider licensing all their series. It's hard to believe there's not an audience for "The Beverly Hillbillies," for instance.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
It didn't help that the Beverly Hillbillies didn't start with a Season One - instead you had the 3 other DVD sets that covered the first season and a half plus a separate Christmas special disc. Anybody who saw Season 2 on the shelf without a Season 1 in the same packaging was probably put off from buying it.

Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

I'd say if they abandon "The Lucy Show," fans will pester them to license it to some other company, like Shout. I wish they'd consider licensing all their series. It's hard to believe there's not an audience for "The Beverly Hillbillies," for instance.

And for all the talk of abandoning shows, CBS have restarted and shows including Cheers, Taxi and recently kick starting Have Gun Will Travel. They've also just wrapped up a couple shows (Beverly Hills 90210 and Seventh Heaven). They're going to be done with Hawaii Five-O and the Fugitive in 2011. Doesn't seem like anyone at CBS DVD wants to shutter the office. putting up a facebook site and actually responding to questions is a help in keeping people in the loop as to what's in the process of being released.

it would be in their best interest to finish up the Lucy Show in 2011 so they can have a complete set ready to move for next Christmas along with season 6

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
The BIG DAY is almost upon us. Depending where you live in this United States, it comes out in about 5-2 hours and 15 minutes.

Trust me, I will be getting this once the clock reads "12:00".

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
For those who prefer to watch The Lucy Show in production order (as I am one of them), please see below.

The number right of the episode title is the production number.

SEASON 1 (released on Tuesday, July 21st, 2009)

Disc 1
1. "Lucy Waits Up For Chris" (episode #1) - the premiere episode and the first episode of the Danfield era
2. "Lucy Digs Up a Date" (episode #3)
3. "Lucy Is a Referee" (episode #4)
4. "Lucy Misplaces Two Thousand" (episode #5)
5. "Lucy Buys a Sheep" (episode #2)
6. "Lucy Becomes an Astronaut" (episode #6)
7. "Lucy Becomes a Kangeroo For a Day" (episode #7)

Disc 2
8. "Lucy, the Music Lover" (episode #8)
9. "Lucy Puts Up a TV Antenna" (episode #9)
10. "Vivian Sues Lucy" (episode #11)
11. "Lucy Builds a Rumpus Room" (episode #10)
12. "Lucy and Her Electric Mattress" (episode #15)
13. "Together For Christmas" (episode #12)
14. "Chris's New Year's Eve Party" (episode #13)
15. "Lucy's Sister Pays a Visit" (episode #14)

Disc 3
16. "Lucy and Viv Are Volunteer Women" (episode #16)
17. "Lucy Becomes a Reporter" (episode #17)
18. "Lucy and Viv Put in a Shower" (episode #18)
19. "Lucy's Barbershop Quartet" (episode #20)
20. "Lucy and Viv Become Tycoons" (episode #19)
21. "No More Double Dates" (episode #21)
22. "Lucy and Viv Learn Judo" (episode #22)
23. "Lucy Is Sode Jerk" (episode #23)

Disc 4
24. "Lucy Drives a Dump Truck" (episode #24)
25. "Lucy Visits the White House" (episode #25)
26. "Lucy and Viv Take Up Chemistry" (episode #26)
27. "Lucy Is a Chaperon" (episode #27)
28. "Lucy and the Little League" (episode #28)
29. "Lucy and the Runaway Butterfly" (episode #29)
30. "Lucy Buys a Boat" (episode 30) - last black and white episode of the series

SEASON 2 (released on Tuesday, July 13th, 2010)

Disc 1
1. "Lucy Plays Cleopatra" (episode #36)
2. "Kiddie Parties, Inc." (episode #37)
3. "Lucy and Viv Play Softball" (episode #32)
4. "Lucy Gets Locked Into a Vault" (episode #33) - first episode to feature Gale Gordon as a regular
5. "Lucy and the Bank Scandal" (episode #34)
6. "Lucy Goes Duck Hunting" (episode #31) - first color episode of the series
7. "Lucy and the Bank Scandal" (episode #35)

Disc 2
8. "Lucy Decides to Redecorate" (episode #38)
9. "Lucy Puts Out a Fire at the Bank" (episode #41)
10. "Lucy and the Military Academy" (episode #42)
11. "Lucy's College Reunion" (episode #43)
12. "The Loophole in the Lease" (episode #40)
13. "Lucy Conducts a Symphony" (episode #39)
14. "Lucy Plays Florence Nightingale" (episode #46)

Disc 3
15. "Lucy Goes to Art Class" (episode #47)
16. "Chris Goes Steady" (episode #48)
17. "The Golf Game" (episode #49)
18. "Lucy Teaches Ethel Merman To Sing" (episode #44)
19. "Ethel Merman and the Boy Scout Show" (episode #45)
20. "Lucy and Viv Open a Restaurant" (episode #50)
21. "Lucy Takes a Job at the Bank" (episode #51)

Disc 4
22. "Viv Moves Out" (episode #52)
23. "Lucy Is Her Own Lawyer" (episode #53)
24. "Lucy Meets a Millionaire" (episode #54)
25. "Lucy Goes Into Politics" (episode #55)
26. "Lucy and the Boy Scout Trip" (episode #56)
27. "Lucy Is Process Server" (episode #57)
28. "Lucy Enters a Baking Contest" (episode #58)

SEASON 3 (released on Tuesday, November 30th, 2010)

Disc 1
1. "Lucy, the Good Skate" (episode #59)
2. "Lucy and the Plumber" (episode #66)
3. "Lucy Tries Winter Sports" (episode #61)
4. "Lucy Gets Amnesia" (episode #65)
5. "Lucy and the Great Bank Robbery" (episode #62)
6. "Lucy, the Camp Cook" (episode #64)

Disc 2
7. "Lucy, the Meter Maid" (episode #60)

8. "Lucy Makes a Pinch" (episode #68)
9. "Lucy Becomes a Father" (episode #67)
10. "Lucy's Contact Lenses" (episode #69)
11. "Lucy Gets Her Maid" (episode #74)
12. "Lucy Gets the Bird" (episode #73)
13. "Lucy, the Coin Collector" (episode #71)

Disc 3
14. "Lucy and the Missing Stamp" (episode #70)

15. "Lucy Meets Danny Kaye" (episode #63)
16. "Lucy and the Ceremiac Cat" (episode #76)
17. "Lucy Goes to Vegas" (episode #77)
18. "Lucy and the Monsters" (episode #75)
19. "Lucy and the Countess" (episode #78)
20. "My Fair Lucy" (episode #79)

Disc 4
21. "Lucy and the Countess Lose Weight" (episode #80)

22. "Lucy and the Old Mansion" (episode #84) - last episode to feature Vivian Vance as a regular and the last episode of the Danfield era
23. "Lucy and Arthur Godfrey" (episode #81)
24. "Lucy and the Beauty Doctor" (episode #83)
25. "Lucy, the Stockholder" (episode #82)
26. "Lucy, the Disc Jockey" (episode #72)

SEASON 4 (to be released in Spring 2010)

Disc 1
1. "Lucy at Marineland" (episode #86)
2. "Lucy and the Golden Greek" (episode #85) - the first episode of the California Era
3. "Lucy in the Music World" (episode #89)
4. "Lucy and Joan" (episode #87)
5. "Lucy, the Stuntman" (episode #88)
6. "Lucy and the Countess Have a Horse Guest" (episode #93)
7. "Lucy Helps Danny Thomas" (episode #92)

Disc 2
8. "Lucy Helps the Countess" (episode #90)
9. "Lucy and the Sleeping Beauty" (episode #91)
10. "Lucy, the Undercover Agent" (episode #94)
11. "Lucy and the Return of Iron Man" (episode #95)
12. "Lucy Saves Milton Berle" (episode #96)
13. "Lucy, the Choirmaster" (episode #98)
14. "Lucy Discovers Wayne Newton" (episode #99)

Disc 3
15. "Lucy, the Rain Goddess" (episode #101)
16. "Lucy and Art Linkletter" (episode #100)
17. "Lucy Bags a Bargain" (episode #97)
18. "Lucy Meets Mickey Rooney" (episode #102)
19. "Lucy and the Soap Opera" (episode #103)
20. "Lucy Goes to a Hollywood Premiere" (episode #104)
21. "Lucy Dates Dean Martin" (episode #105)

Disc 4
22. "Lucy and Bob Crane" (episode #106)
23. "Lucy, the Robot" (episode #107)
24. "Lucy and Clint Walker" (episode #108)
25. "Lucy, the Gun Moll" (episode #109)
26. "Lucy, the Superwoman" (episode #110)

SEASON 5 (not yet released)

Disc 1
1. "Lucy and George Burns" (episode #111)
2. "Lucy and the Submarine" (episode #116)
3. "Lucy, the Bean Queen" (episode #112)
4. "Lucy and Paul Winchell" (episode #118)
5. "Lucy and the Ring-a-Ding Ring" (episode #113)
6. "Lucy Goes to London" (episode #120)
7. "Lucy Gets a Roommate" (episode #114)

Disc 2
8. "Lucy and Carol In Palm Springs" (episode #115)
9. "Lucy Gets Caught In a Draft" (episode #117)
10. "Lucy and John Wayne" (episode #119)
11. "Lucy and Pat Collins" (episode #121)
12. "Mooney the Monkey" (episode #122)
13. "Lucy and Phil Silvers" (episode #123)
14. "Lucy's Substitute Secretary" (episode #124)

Disc 3
15. "Viv Visits Lucy" (episode #125) - Vivian Vance returns as a guest star
16. "Lucy, the Babysitter" (episode #126)
17. "Main Street, U.S.A." (episode #127)
18. "Lucy Puts Main Street on the Map" (episode #128)
19. "Lucy Meets the Law" (episode #129)
20. "Lucy, the Fight Manager" (episode #130)
21. "Lucy and Tennesee Ernie Ford" (episode #132)

Disc 4
22. "Lucy and Sheldon Leonard" (episode #131)

SEASON 6 (not yet released)

Disc 1
1. "Lucy Meets the Berles" (episode #137)
2. "Lucy Gets Trapped (episode #133)
3. "Lucy and the French Movie Star" (episode #134)
4. "Lucy, the Starmaker" (episode #136)
5. "Lucy Gets Her Diploma" (episode #140)
6. "Lucy Gets Jack Benny's Account" (episode #138)
7. "Little Old Lucy" (episode #135)

Disc 2
8. "Lucy and Robert Goulet" (episode #139)
9. "Lucy Gets Mooney Fired" (episode #141)
10. "Lucy's Mystery Guest" (episode #147)
11. "Lucy, the Philanthropist" (episode #144)
12. "Lucy Sues Mooney" (episode #142)
13. "Lucy and the Pool Hustler" (episode #148)
14. "Lucy and Carol Burnett" - Part 1 (episode #145)

Disc 3
15. "Lucy and Carol Burnett" - Part 2 (episode #146)
16. "Lucy and Viv Reminisce" (episode #149) - Vivian Vance returns as a guest star
17. "Lucy Gets Involved" (episode #143)
18. "Mooney's Other Wife" (episode #151)
19. "Lucy and the Stolen Stole" (episode #152)
20. "Lucy and Phil Harris" (episode #150)
21. "Lucy and Ken Berry" (episode #153)

Disc 4
22. "Lucy and the Lost Star" (episode #154) - Vivian Vance returns as a guest star
23. "Lucy and Sid Caesar" (episode #155)
24. "Lucy and the 'Boss of the Year' Award" (episode #156) - finale episode of the series

NOTE: Both NICK@NITE and RETRO TV reran The Lucy Show in PRODUCTION ORDER.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Unless a network interfered, the air order is the way the shows are meant to be seen. As you can see from your list, if you watch in production order, you'll see Lucy in her new apartment in Los Angeles (#85) before the episode that shows her moving to Los Angeles (#86). As another example, #60 and #68 were meant to be seen two weeks in a row, when Lucy was working for the police department.

Production order was dictated by availability of sets, actors, etc. The classic example of production order being wrong is the two-part I Love Lucy episode when Carolyn Appleby came to visit in Hollywood. The first episode guest starred Van Johnson, and the second Harpo Marx, but they were filmed the other way around, because the first one was supposed to star Ray Bolger but he couldn't do it at the last minute.

For years, these episodes were shown the wrong way in syndication. There's no reason to continue to watch them the wrong way, just because that was the order they were filmed.

By the way, being a stickler for air order, I know that The Lucy Show's Season 2, Episode 12, "The Loophole in the Lease," was originally scheduled as Season 2, Episode 9, but was not shown due to all television being pre-empted the day of President Kennedy's funeral. It really should be watched as Episode 9, though, because it makes a reference to the immediately preceding episode, Season 2, Episode 8, "Lucy Decides to Redecorate."

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

Unless a network interfered, the air order is the way the shows are meant to be seen. As you can see from your list, if you watch in production order, you'll see Lucy in her new apartment in Los Angeles (#85) before the episode that shows her moving to Los Angeles (#86). As another example, #60 and #68 were meant to be seen two weeks in a row, when Lucy was working for the police department.

Production order was dictated by availability of sets, actors, etc. The classic example of production order being wrong is the two-part I Love Lucy episode when Carolyn Appleby came to visit in Hollywood. The first episode guest starred Van Johnson, and the second Harpo Marx, but they were filmed the other way around, because the first one was supposed to star Ray Bolger but he couldn't do it at the last minute.

For years, these episodes were shown the wrong way in syndication. There's no reason to continue to watch them the wrong way, just because that was the order they were filmed.

By the way, being a stickler for air order, I know that The Lucy Show's Season 2, Episode 12, "The Loophole in the Lease," was originally scheduled as Season 2, Episode 9, but was not shown due to all television being pre-empted the day of President Kennedy's funeral. It really should be watched as Episode 9, though, because it makes a reference to the immediately preceding episode, Season 2, Episode 8, "Lucy Decides to Redecorate."

When it comes to the DVD set, the very last episode is "Lucy, the Disc Jockey". According to the production notes on disc 4, this is the same episode that got pre-emptied three different times. So it now wonder why this episode was originally shown as the last of season three.

If we were to go in film order, the very last episode of season three is the last episode that had Vivian Vance as a regular on the show, "Lucy and the Old Mansion". Also, this episode is only one of the entire series that features both Ann Sothern and Vivian Vance. Vance is seen throughout "Lucy and the Old Mansion" (#84) but when it comes "Lucy, the Disc Jockey" (#72) she is seen just in the first seven minutes or so. That is really NOT a great send-off episode for her. And I think it be would absolutely criminal for TV stations to show episode #72 as the last episode of season three to air. Filmed order may not be best but it is certainly not any worse than the airdate order as far as I am concerned.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Well, as I said above on "Loophole in the Lease," if you know an episode was originally scheduled for a certain date, but was pre-empted and postponed, then that's another story. But as you can see from my examples of watching shows out of logical order -- such as watching the episode where Lucy discovers that Mr. Mooney will still be her banker after the episode where she's already settled in and knows Mr. Mooney is her banker -- the order they aired (or were intended to be aired) was the way they were intended to be seen.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
To each his own, but in my view this series NEVER had any serious continuity, so it doesn't matter to me a hoot what order I watch the episodes. It's hardly an example of great writing and treating any character with depth or reality or consistency, particularly after Josefsberg took over. Do what makes you happy.

Hunted and pecked my way through various episodes last night. Agan, the picture quality is outstanding.

I watched "Lucy and the Monsters" last night and was reminded what hideous writing and directing is all about. One of the WORST half hours in TV history, in my opinion, and I'm not exaggerating at all. An embarrassment for everyone involved. You even see a cameraman in the frame as they fade to commercial at one point. Everyone was asleep at the wheel that week. Shocked that Garry Marshall and Jerry Belson perpetrated that script. Can't say I blame Vivian Vance for wanting more input into the scripts if she was going to remain. Then they have "My Fair Lucy" a short time later, and it's pretty good. It's going to be a hard slog through the remaining seasons (if they get released.)

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by JohnMor
Hunted and pecked my way through various episodes last night. Agan, the picture quality is outstanding.

I watched "Lucy and the Monsters" last night and was reminded what hideous writing and directing is all about. One of the WORST half hours in TV history, in my opinion, and I'm not exaggerating at all. An embarrassment for everyone involved. You even see a cameraman in the frame as they fade to commercial at one point. Everyone was asleep at the wheel that week. Shocked that Garry Marshall and Jerry Belson perpetrated that script. Can't say I blame Vivian Vance for wanting more input into the scripts if she was going to remain. Then they have "My Fair Lucy" a short time later, and it's pretty good. It's going to be a hard slog through the remaining seasons (if they get released.)

I really enjoyed the "Lucy and the Monsters" episode. I find it to be quite unique compared to other episodes of the series. I don't see anything wrong with it at all ... I wouldn't change a thing about it at all except the camera man showing up for those few seconds. What was wrong with the writing?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks