What's new

Saturday Night Live Season36 (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I don't know whether to give the guy whose idea it was to put Katy Perry in that Elmo shirt the "Mr. Obvious Award," or my everloving thanks.

Not bad, last night. Sad to see Slate go so soon, but at least I won't confuse her with Pedrad anymore. And whoa -- we have TWO black guys now!

Hard to tell much about the new kids, since they didn't get to do too much. Seemed like most of the material went to the Poehler-posse. And I think I only saw Keenan once, so that's a plus.

(Also: the RNC ad. Awesome.)

Can't wait for Jane Lynch.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
While it was nice to see Morgan Freeman and freakin' Ernest Borgnine on last night's show, I would like to vote that we table the fucking "What Up With That?" sketch for a month, or nine.
The new guys nailed Miley and Depp. Hope they have actual character, because SNL isn't MADtv or Studio 60.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
That Miley Cyrus sketch featured one of the absolutely dead on impersonations in the show's history. We let our 5 year old daughter watch Hannah Montana on occasion, and the new girl was so spot on that I was laughing out loud over her delivery alone -- it was amazeballs. The clip from the movie was parody at its finest. The highlight of the night for me.

The second funniest moment were the WTF reaction shots from Morgan Freeman. They were so realistic that if I didn't know better, I'd swear they were genuine reactions. In addition to Ernest Borgnine, I also laughed at the Mary Letourneau & Vili Fulau randomness. But the sketch always sags all over the place, because the only laughs are from the WTF moments.

Considering I skip something like 99% of all the musical acts, the fact that I sat through both Kanye numbers is a miracle. I'm not a big fan of Kanye's music, but I loved the presentation and, let's be honest, those dancers or models or whatever were freaking hot.

They didn't really do much with Bryan Cranston (it was almost like he wasn't there), but a good show overall.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Good stuff. Why do I get the feeling that Freeman wasn't pretending to be perplexed by the whole thing? If I were Kenan, I'd be embarrassed to be doing the sketch in front of him entirely.

I switched away during that god-awful "Shanna" sketch; came back what seemed like five minutes later, and it was still going. Wiig was nails on a chalkboard in that fucking thing.
Also, the new guy's Depp was perfect. The question is, why was Cranston playing the second banana (as Billy Ray Cyrus), and not the person being interviewed by Miley Cyrus? That's usually how these things work out. That said, Bryan Cranston was wasted, for the most part. They barely used him for anything actually funny. Damn shame, considering how funny he can be, and how obviously comfortable he was on stage. You'd think some kind of Breaking Bad sketch would be a no-brainer. I understand this kind of treatment for, say, an athlete, or someone similarly incapable with this kind of show, but to relegate someone like Cranston to the periphery was just stupid.

Christ, though...they need to fire all the writers. And Wiig. And Armisen. Good cast otherwise; gives me hope for the next season, if they hold on to everyone and shake up the writing staff. Special kudos to Seth Meyers' "Weekend Update" for continually making the lamest, worst jokes imaginable out of some pretty good setups.
(I'm calling it now: Glee parody with Gilly, next week.)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Can anyone explain the overly long, 1 joke bit that was "I sent a bottle of sparkling apple juice to your house" sketch? My god did that drag on. And there was NOTHING there.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
It was hard to take my eyes off Freeman, wondering if he was just going to walk off the set.

The high point was when Bryan Cranston had his crotch bouncing next to Morgan's face.

I was afraid someone was about to get hurt.
Originally Posted by joshEH

Why do I get the feeling that Freeman wasn't pretending to be perplexed by the whole thing?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Also, note that Morgan was absolutely nowhere to be seen during the end-credits "cast bow."

Usually, you'll see even someone who cameos briefly at the very beginning of the episode there, but nope.

Makes you wonder...

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I'd LIKE to think that was about Kanye West, seemed nearby female cast members had their back to him as soon as possible.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mattCR

Can anyone explain the overly long, 1 joke bit that was "I sent a bottle of sparkling apple juice to your house" sketch? My god did that drag on. And there was NOTHING there.

That's about when I tuned out of the show. Does Andy Samberg have something in his contract that stipulates he gets most of the guy-on-guy smooching in the skits?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I didn't watch the entire show yet, but I wanted to say that the Glee "parody" was so embarrassingly awful that I actually felt shame for watching it. Gilly isn't a great sketch to begin with, but that was beyond the pale terrible. The biggest bombed SNL sketch that I can remember.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Quote:

Originally Posted by joshEH

(I'm calling it now: Glee parody with Gilly, next week.)

...Called it. (Not that I liked being right, in this case.)

Yeah, that entire Glee sketch was one obvious joke after another. The only thing that saved it was the half-hearted response to Gilly when she came out.

Jesus, I shudder to think what they thought wasn't good enough to air before midnight. This sketch made me want to rip my eyes right out of their sockets. How the heck is it possible this show can create such an unfunny skit involving a Glee parody? A Glee parody basically writes itself.

But once again, we get another Gilly skit no one wanted to see. Kristen Wiig and her annoying characters need to fade into obscurity, pronto.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Jay Pharoah and the Macy's return skit was pretty good. Jay did a very good Denzel impression. He shows some promise.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The new guys seem to be doing pretty well with the impressions (e.g. last week's Johnny Depp), which I'm assuming is what got them the gig. Over the long haul it will be interesting to see how versatile they are.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yeah, "The Boyfriend Show" was solid; the Denzel sketch was a good impression without much of a hook behind the writing; the "Witch" commercial-thing at least developed all the way through to the end. But my god! Will they please drop all the annoying Wiig characters? Hell, if they'd just promise to never do Gilly again, that'd do wonders for my respect for the writing staff.

Anybody remember when SNL went so far to avoid a one-note character being beaten to death that they literally killed Buckwheat? And that was during the fucking Ebersol years. What happened to that show?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks