Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF DVD REVIEW: Astonishing X-Men: Gifted

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,815 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 25 2010 - 08:22 AM

The Feature: 3.5/5 Video Quality: 3/5 Audio Quality: 3/5 Special Features: 4/5 Overall Score (not an average): 3.5/5 Marvel's problematic first effort with motion comics gets an equally problematic video transfer, acceptable audio and a respectable set of special features.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,967 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 25 2010 - 06:27 PM

I find it very odd the "basics" of motion comics weren't ironed out in the Watchman disc.  That one was done by Warner and this done by Shout.  Maybe that has something to do with it?   Thanks Cameron!  I couldn't figure out what this was in the Round-Up!

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,815 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 26 2010 - 05:22 AM

Yeah, I found it odd too. But I imagine it's like two inventors working on the same concept and one getting it right and the other...not.   The other titles do look a lot better, but I'd have to watch them in their entirety to be sure. The original artwork on them is pretty cool too.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,874 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 26 2010 - 08:09 AM

I simply can't get into these motion comics. I had this on my radar for a long time, and then I saw the trailer, and thought,' Jesus, that looks so god-awful,' the animation I mean. It's so slow. I'm sorry, but I prefer good old fashion animation when it comes to my animated super hero flicks and cartoons.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,967 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 26 2010 - 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cameron Yee 

Yeah, I found it odd too. But I imagine it's like two inventors working on the same concept and one getting it right and the other...not.

True.  It wouldn't have made any sense for Warner (DC) to share the tech with Shout (Marvel).  I would expect any future DC motion comic titles to be of a much higher standard, though.

And for $10 on Amazon right now, I might add it to some other stuff I'm eying in my weekend-long quest to stimulate the economy by myself.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DVD Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users