What's new

Blue Bloods Season 1 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Just picked this up off my DVR. Very surprised by the depth of the cast, I knew Selleck was in this, but this has a really great surrounding cast.

This has potential to actually be very good. It's a different kind of take on a cop show, and I appreciated that. It'll go on the DVR.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I thought the first episode was pretty good. It looks like I'll be recording two shows on Friday night.

Crawdaddy

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I Thought this Ok, I liked Jimmy Smit's Outlaw a little better, but I'm sticking for a few episodes, the cast isvery good.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I saw it and thought it was very good!

Definitely will be tuning in, and hopefully, will do well in the ratings despite its current time slot.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Most of us thought CBS exiled this new show to Fridays to die, but apparently the network knew what it was doing. The series premiere opened to insane Friday numbers, over 12 million viewers on a night when nobody's watching television.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm completely sold.

I think there have been some good rookie seasons this year, and some I will watch. But "Blue Bloods" is really well polished. The acting is good, the cast is good, and it's told straight forward, with no gimmicks. I really respect that last part. Selleck is great as the patriarch of a NY family.

Maybe it does skew old. Maybe now that I'm out of the "high priority" demo... eh, I don't think so. I can eagerly await the premiere of "Sanctuary" and "Caprica" and still enjoy this.

I don't know how long it will stay on Fridays, but I'm betting ratings wise this should absolutely dominate it's timeslot, because there is NOTHING else on that is competitive. At all.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Me too. I like the family element of the show.

The Blue Templar element makes it sound a bit like The Da Vinci Code, but it should be interesting to see where it goes.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Approaching the rookie to help with a secret investigation that may implicate his family is highly, highly reminiscent of The Beast. Only there, the kid was being asked to possibly betray his new partner.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

Approaching the rookie to help with a secret investigation that may implicate his family is highly, highly reminiscent of The Beast. Only there, the kid was being asked to possibly betray his new partner.

That's the only part I don't like so far. Why does there have to be some sort of secret investigation and past corruption. Why can't it just be about a normal cop family that always followed the rules. I hope that plot line doesn't take over the show.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
Overall, I enjoyed the second episode more than the first, and think it has a nice "procedural" vibe going for it.

Like Mark_B, I don't know why there has to be an "undercurrent" that is an investigation into a "secret brotherhood" of cops.

And I don't necessarily think every episode should end with the FBI talking to Tom Selleck's son along a pier, or on a roof somewhere about being their mole.

It could create some interesting drama down the line. We know Donnie Wahlberg's character is a member of it because we saw the pin in his closet at the beginning of the first episode.

I applaud CBS for putting some effort into Friday night. The "trend" has been to move programming away from Friday (and, as we know, the networks have basically abandoned Saturdays).

But in this DVR age, it is actually nice to not have to "make choices" when multiple programs you like are on against each other. And since there is little that I typically record on Friday, this works out really well for me.

Overall, the show is developing a nice vibe. It isn't perfect, but it is very watchable, and the casting is terrific.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The writing and the acting on this show makes it seem as though it's in season 3 or 4, not an opening season. The actors so successfully embody their characters that it just has that natural feel. This is easily the most polished new show on the air.

They manage to take the cop drama and do something slightly different with it every week, and the structure to the show is fantastic.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
They've got to get Danny a regular partner, but it was good seeing Jennifer Esposito again.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I don't recall seeing Nicky, the young girl in family scenes. Who's daughter is she? Sami Gayle has got the looks to go far, but needs to work on her craft as evidenced to her greeting to Selleck.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams

I don't recall seeing Nicky, the young girl in family scenes. Who's daughter is she? Sami Gayle has got the looks to go far, but needs to work on her craft as evidenced to her greeting to Selleck.

She's the wife of the youngest cop, a lawyer who fell for him at Harvard Law.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I think he means the teenage girl. She's Tom Selleck's daughter's daughter. She was seen in the first episode and has been on vacation with her divorced father until last night. With the new hair, I'm wondering if they recast, but I haven't looked it up.

Edit: Yep, recast.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Another solid outting. I laughed at the kid tackling the Hot Dog guy. Combine that with the stoned SUV driver who panics and runs.. great fairly realistic moments mixed in with the main story.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Anyone else find it interesting how many characters from "Rescue Me" have major roles in this?

Good episode tonight. This show isn't anything flashy, but it's well done for what it is.

Jaybird248

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay S
Good show. And wonderful that they actually film it in NYC, not LA or Toronto or someplace.

Tonight's ep (12/3/10) featured Gary Basaraba as the crooked cop, Jimmy Burke. He was Sgt. Santoro in "Brooklyn South", on CBS a decade ago, which I also loved. And he mentions the 7-4 Pct when addressing the Comstat board, which is the Brooklyn South pct where Santoro worked. That was an inside reference. There is no actual 7-4, just as there is no 1-5, which Burke commands. The 1-5 was the precinct in "NYPD Blue", so another inside reference. Gotta love those Hollywood cop show writers! Anybody else spot this stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks