Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SHARKTOPUS . . . Utter Junk, Or Potential Hit?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,876 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 24 2010 - 05:05 AM

I'm gonna start off by saying I have yet to see one of these made-for-SyFy channel creature features that have been any good. For one, the CGI critters are too CGI-shallow for me to really believe in their existence, and whom ever is green-lighting these movies seems to have a ready made template made for them, for all of them involve some kind of elite unit that has to go into a jungle, forest, or confined space, and shoot it out amongst other human enemies before the monster weighs with it's two cents. Essentially, these monsters end up being supporting characters within their own damn movies. That's right, they're action movies disguised as monster movies. Frustrating to say the least.   Okay, now having stated all that, I generally get pulled in by their trailers and, in my opinion, that's the only format they're successful in -- the short, short film (i.e. their trailers). This one in particular, I would love to be a success, the trailer is excellent, even if the monster looks oh-so-CGI.My gut says, though, it's gonna blow big time.   It's coming on this Saturday at 9 pm.   EDIT: By the change in my title, I assume swearing on this forum should be kept to a minimum, or none at all. Good to know, because I can get fairly potty mouthed, at times, when I'm posting. Haven't yet, so far, but good to know regardless. Can't use 'crap' either? Okay, no problem.  

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted September 24 2010 - 05:23 AM

Title has been edited. See HTF Rule 11:

11. We assume that everyone here is an adult, and we expect everyone to act like it. This also means that we do not screen or remove content to prevent minors from being exposed to mature subject matter; that decision belongs to their parents or guardians. Nevertheless, we want HTF to remain professional in both tone and appearance. So please do not use profanity to excess, and please do not use any profanity (whether mild or harsh) in the TOPIC/SUBJECT header of a post or thread, because those may appear on the Main Forum Page or on other featured pages.

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,876 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 24 2010 - 05:29 AM

Okay, no problem. This is the first forum I've been on that has been deemed kid-friendly, so-to-speak. Not use to that. Whoopsy. How about pseudo-swear words. I'm partial to frak, motherfrakker, jackhole, jack-wagon . . . are these acceptable, cause I could get used to 'frak.'

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted September 24 2010 - 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by SWFF 

Okay, no problem. This is the first forum I've been on that has been deemed kid-friendly, so-to-speak.

If you read the Rule, it says the opposite. (The title of the Rule is "A site for adults".) We think of it as "professional".

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,876 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 24 2010 - 05:35 AM

I have a habit of skimming posts really quick, when I'm in rush to do something, and occasionally it means I tend to miss the point of whatever given post I have deemed skim-worthy.

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 12,077 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 24 2010 - 05:40 AM

Well, I'm looking forward to this. I like these D-grade creature features, if only to see how much more ridiculous they can become. They seem to do well in the ratings, too. I think Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus and Mega Piranha were two of SyFy's highest rated movies in a long time.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,876 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 24 2010 - 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm R 
They seem to do well in the ratings, too. I think Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus and Mega Piranha were two of SyFy's highest rated movies in a long time.

I am constantly perplexed by this. They actually do DO well in the ratings, don't they? Still can't figure that out.

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 12,077 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 24 2010 - 05:51 AM

[quote]Originally Posted by SWFF [url=/forum/thread/304315/sharktopus-utter-junk-or-potential-hit#post_3732521]

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,876 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 24 2010 - 06:22 AM

My tolerance had been reached with that ridiculous MEGA-PIRANHA. I mean, come one, they were big enough to eat a helicopter, and that scene I saw on the web of that guy defending himself by repeatedly kicking them away, well, I thought, it looks like SyFy has finally reached their all time low. I'm really rooting for this SHARTOPUS though, but, there's a little voice inside me, saying, it's gonna suck bad!

There's actually one coming next summer called, SWAMP SHARK, that, again, doesn't look all that bad. They've already got the trailer up for that one.

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,919 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted September 24 2010 - 07:20 AM

Here's a toast to the next Syfy Original Movie, which will likely feature (throw dart):      (A) Nazis      (B) Gargoyles      © Cloning      (D) Mutation      (E) Guns      (F) All of the above. At least they're keeping Lou Diamond Phillips employed on a new Stargate series, instead of an SS Doomtrooper. I'm just waiting for them to greenlight Ice Spiders: The Series, though.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,876 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 25 2010 - 01:51 PM

My verdict has been rendered, utter shit. Well, I did last 38 minutes on this one. Typically, I'm out of the flick by the 20 minute mark, but I pushed myself this time, hoping it would get better. It didn't. I will say this for it, the movie had some really hot chicks on display. I can't believe Corman made a cameo in this god forsaken mess.

I'm gonna shower now and head back into the dark and violent underbelly of BATMAN: UNDER THE RED HOOD.

This is Shawn Francis, signing off for the night  . . .

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 12,077 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 25 2010 - 03:31 PM

I enjoyed the tongue-in-cheek feel to the whole thing...it even had it's own theme song...but admit it was too silly to really hold my attention for the whole film.

The constant roaring of the beast really bothered me, too. As far as I know, neither sharks nor octopus can vocalize, so unless the scientists wasted time and money to  bioengineer something as pointless as the ability to roar, the beast should have been silent. A nitpick, I know, in a film as ridiculous as this, but those are the things that can really ruin a film for me, even one as cheezy as Sharktopus.

Though I will say this appears to be fine art compared to Dinocroc vs. Supergator, the first 15 minutes of which I caught after Sharktopus. There were so many silly and wrong things in the first 15 minutes of that flick, everyone involved should be ashamed. I definitely couldn't watch any more of that.

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted September 25 2010 - 03:52 PM

horrible
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,876 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 26 2010 - 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Malcolm R 
The constant roaring of the beast really bothered me, too. As far as I know, neither sharks nor octopus can vocalize, so unless the scientists wasted time and money to bioengineer something as pointless as the ability to roar, the beast should have been silent. A nitpick, I know, in a film as ridiculous as this, but those are the things that can really ruin a film for me, even one as cheezy as Sharktopus.

Yeah, these kind of inaccuracies bother me, too, when I'm watching certain flicks. Well, the whole idea of a shark/octopus hybrid is already preposterous from the start, the added roar is just adding insult to injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd stone 

horrible

It was. It really was. The only thing, I think, that was keeping me glued to the set were the chicks that kept popping up from time to time, but in the end even those bathing suit beauties still couldn't pull the movie out of the dreck it was wallowing in. Too bad.

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted September 26 2010 - 03:33 AM

I saw it and hated it. Why did I watched? I had company that loved it. The SciFi channel (or whatever it is called now) has been reduced to a few "good" programs.

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,876 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 26 2010 - 03:43 AM

The only shows I watch religiously on that network are GHOST HUNTERS, DESTINATION TRUTH and EUREKA. And what the hell is wrestling doing on it?! Like most networks that start out, they start out good and then get homegenized, or something. I remember when TNT, TBS, AMC and USA used to be pretty good networks, then something went horribly wrong. AMC's "conversion" is the greatest tragedy, if you ask me.

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,919 posts

Posted September 26 2010 - 07:25 AM

Just hurry up and bring back SGU and Caprica, Syfy.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,312 posts

Posted September 26 2010 - 02:09 PM

I loved the awfulness that was SHARKTOPUS!   It's funny bacause it's so bad.   The introduction of the hero character has him holding his breath underwater in a jacuzzi.  Full head shot on the camera.  While the camera is still underwater, he slowly rises up out of the water.  The immediate next shot shows him surfacing, suddenly wearing a sombrero that was nowhere to be found in the previous shot!  It just materialized out of thin air!  Seriously, how did the editors miss that?
-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,919 posts

Posted September 26 2010 - 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Cooper [url=/forum/thread/304315/sharktopus-utter-junk-or-potential-hit#post_3733195]

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 12,077 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 26 2010 - 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by joshEH [url=/forum/thread/304315/sharktopus-utter-junk-or-potential-hit#post_3733201]

Yeah, I wondered if it was intentional, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users