Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Day Of The Triffids Being Remade Again, 3D This Time!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 23 2010 - 02:49 AM

I have always been a major fan of the '63 flick, so this isn't entirely bad news to me, but, first, I'd like to see that flick released on a nice remastered DVD.

FANGORIA: The killer plants of John Wyndham’s novel THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS have already attacked mankind once on the big screen (in the 1963 cult fave, pictured) and twice on British TV (in 1981 and last year). Now the balance is set to be redressed as a new feature version is on the way—in 3-D, natch.

Variety reports that producers Don Murphy and Michael Preger will be making the triffids leap off the screen. In the book, first published in 1951, a spectacular meteor shower causes mass blindness around the world, allowing the ambulatory plants (which can inflict a fatal sting yet are cultivated for their valuable oils) to run rampant. Preger, whose credits include another Wyndham adaptation, John Carpenter’s VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED, has had the rights to the novel for two decades, and he and Murphy have planned to team on a new movie since the late ’90s. Now, they believe, the cinematic state of the art is right to move forward.

“We are confident that with the new technological advances in 3-D production,” Preger tells the trade, “we have the tools with which to create Wyndham’s iconic vision of Armageddon.” Adds Murphy, “This original classic has still to be successfully envisioned on the screen. It is a story that strikes at the heart of what it means to be human—and does so in an intensely cinematic way.” The duo are also developing a film franchise based on the popular VAMPIRE ACADEMY novels; see details here.

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,154 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted September 23 2010 - 03:31 AM

I've heard the original movie stayed fairly far away from the original novel so we'll see where this one goes.

I love "classic" horror but never cared too much for this one.  Haven't seen the two British films.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 23 2010 - 03:38 AM

The early 80s BBC mini-series, from what I understand, is the closest to the novel, but I never thought the triffids from that version were all that menacing. It's that '63 version, I think, that's got the better triffids, even though it doesn't follow the novel too closely. And, sad to say, I still haven't read the novel. I probably will the closer we get to an actual release of this new version. Anyone see that 2010 mini-series? I wanted to until I had trouble coming across a good review of it.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,420 posts

Posted September 23 2010 - 05:57 AM

I've wanted to pick up the original film on DVD for a few years, but most reviews I've read have suggested that the released versions aren't very well done.  Still, I'd love to have it on DVD.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 23 2010 - 06:05 AM

This version here, is about the best. Despite what it says on the back it's in its original aspect ratio of 2.35:1.Yes, it could use a remastering and be made anamorphic, but this version is good enough for me. You might wanna give it a try:

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,420 posts

Posted September 23 2010 - 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by SWFF 

This version here, is about the best. Despite what it says on the back it's in its original aspect ratio of 2.35:1.Yes, it could use a remastering and be made anamorphic, but this version is good enough for me. You might wanna give it a try:

SWFF,

Thanks.  I've bookmarked this for future reference. Posted Image

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 25 2010 - 07:11 AM

Scott, I just learned you can get it at OLDIES for $8.95!

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,420 posts

Posted September 25 2010 - 07:32 AM

SWFF,

Wow -- thanks.  You are speaking of this newest release, yes?

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 25 2010 - 07:37 AM

The one pictured above in our two posts, the 2.35:1 version. It's not really a new release, it's been available for a few years now. I just happened to notice you can get it cheap at Oldies.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted October 21 2010 - 03:21 AM

Mandate Pictures And Sam Raimi Win Auction For 'The Day Of The Triffids' 

UPDATE: Mandate Pictures has won the auction for The Day of the Triffids. The film will be produced by Ghost House, the partnership between Mandate, Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert. The deal is seven-figures and I've heard it's the most that Mandate has paid for a project package. Raimi wants to direct it; the original was one of his favorite films as a boy. Raimi and Tapert will board the producer roster, joining Michael Preger, Angry Films' Don Murphy and Susan Montford, and Mark Gordon, who previously worked with Raimi on A Simple Plan.

EXCLUSIVE: Suitors are bidding on a rights package to do a new version of The Day of the Triffids. I'm told that Warner Bros bidding for David Yates, who graduated from directing the British miniseries State of Play to do the final four Harry Potter films. Among the other bidders is Mandate Pictures, on behalf of Sam Raimi. The deal will be in the seven-figures when the dust clears, and it was wrapped up by Mandate's Nathan Kahane.

The rights package includes the original scifi novel by John Wyndham, which was previously used as the basis for the 1962 film. It's classic paranoid alien invasion stuff: when a shower of meteorites lights up the sky, it creates such a gorgeous sight that most earthlings can't help but look.  So 99% of the population goes blind as a result, but it gets worse. The meteorites unleash Triffids, plants capable of moving around so they can better attack the blind. The rights are held were acquired over a number of years by Michael Preger, who was involved in another Wyndham novel adaptation, the John Carpenter-directed Village of the Damned. Preger is aboard to produce with Angry Films partners Don Murphy and Susan Montford, and Mark Gordon through his Mark Gordon Company. Murphy and Montford are teamed with James Cameron are producing the Guillermo del Toro-directed At the Mountains of Madness. They are also teamed with Preger on a movie version of Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy. 

#11 of 12 ONLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,391 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted November 27 2010 - 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by SWFF 

The one pictured above in our two posts, the 2.35:1 version. It's not really a new release, it's been available for a few years now. I just happened to notice you can get it cheap at Oldies.

Is it the same release?  The cover art is totally different than what you pictured.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 27 2010 - 03:23 AM

Oh, yeah, just noticed that. Wonder when that happened? Actually, I like that new cover art. Well, the above one and this new one do say it's a Cheezy Flicks, so, I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume they're the same release. It has to be in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. If it's not, it's not the same one. But the old one doesn't state that, and neither does the new one, other than "The Digitally Remastered Original."

If you buy it, let me know. I may have to pick this one up, too, at some point. If you don't want to take the chance, you can get the one I mentioned a few posts back at CD Universe. Click Here. And, you can get it even cheaper at DVD Pacific. Click Here. Anyone see that new British mini-series? I just found out that they're selling it at CD Universe and DVD Pacific. Blu-Ray only. Figures.