Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Office season 7 thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#21 of 225 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted October 10 2010 - 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by joshEH 

And a perfect "out" for the series, as far as I'm concerned. I'm still half-expecting NBC to announce in the spring that the show is, in fact, over.

At this point, I really think that would be a good idea. The show has moments of brilliance from time to time, but just isn't consistently funny anymore. I find myself watching it out of habit rather than really looking forward to it the way I used to and Carell leaving should be the final nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned.

"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#22 of 225 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,936 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted October 10 2010 - 08:02 AM

The show won't get canceled, unfortunately, if only because doing so would be laying off half of NBC. Seriously, there's like 14 different producer/co-producer/executive producer credits at the top of every show.

Also, the whole Andy/Erin/Gabe thing is beyond stupid. It's like a complete redo of last season. If there's an ongoing romance plot this year, why the hell isn't it Michael's?

But Ed Helms-centric Sweeney Todd episodes are always hilarious, and I thought it was really funny that they had him playing the male ingenue. So, a win this week.

And that whole sequence starting with Andy's iPhone going off in his pocket was one of the most uncomfortably-awkward things they've ever done. "I killed it! Because I am a murderer! Like you, Sweeney Todd! Although my character doesn't know that yet! But he suspects it! All those razors!"

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#23 of 225 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,053 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 10 2010 - 03:45 PM

If there's an ongoing romance plot this year, why the hell isn't it Michael's?

My guess is that Michael's storyline is on ice until Amy Ryan becomes available for filming.

#24 of 225 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,936 posts

Posted October 11 2010 - 03:04 AM

Before I forget to mention it, the rolling wine bottle was greatness, but probably my favorite moment was, "It's like The Hurt Locker!!"

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#25 of 225 Jake Gove

Jake Gove

Second Unit

• 326 posts

Posted October 11 2010 - 08:22 AM

Enough of the musical numbers already, quit trying to jump on Glee's bandwagon (I despise Glee).
Jake

I am a producer of The Shark is Still Working: The Impact and Legacy of JAWS. Check it out here:
http://www.sharkisstillworking.com

#26 of 225 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,053 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 11 2010 - 03:10 PM

Before I forget to mention it, the rolling wine bottle was greatness, but probably my favorite moment was, "It's like The Hurt Locker!!"

There's a rundown theater in downtown Albany near a college campus that used to be a real discount compared to the chain multiplexes. The theater smells like mold, the ceiling has water damage, the projection is iffy, but for a light dialog-driven film it was sometimes worth saving a couple bucks. I can't count the number of times I heard beer bottles rolling down the aisle. Every time it seemed to last an eternity, and then the usher bursts in trying to figure out who smuggled booze into the theater.

Originally Posted by Jake Gove 

Enough of the musical numbers already, quit trying to jump on Glee's bandwagon (I despise Glee).

I've enjoyed everyone. In particular, I thought Ed Helms's rendition of "Johanna" was stellar. But the opening bits in the last couple episodes have given the show a nice little boost of energy and are a lot of fun.

#27 of 225 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,578 posts

Posted October 18 2010 - 06:27 AM

May be the worst season to date.  4 episodes in, and I think I laughed once between all of them.

I keep hoping it will get better, but damn 4 episodes of shoddy writing and far too few laughs have me all but giving up on this once fantastic show.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#28 of 225 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted October 18 2010 - 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bryan^H 

May be the worst season to date.  4 episodes in, and I think I laughed once between all of them.

I keep hoping it will get better, but damn 4 episodes of shoddy writing and far too few laughs have me all but giving up on this once fantastic show.

Sadly, I'm right there with you. I used to look forward to this show almost as much as anything else on TV, but now it's almost hard to sit through at times. I thought for sure this past week's episode with all of Michael's exes would be good, but I don't know if I even laughed once. Carell may have waited a season too long to abandon this sinking ship.

#29 of 225 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,936 posts

Posted October 18 2010 - 01:40 PM

That's another thing -- am I the only one who thinks Carell is trying really hard not to phone it in, but just can't help it? The writing has pretty much gone downhill since Greg Daniels left, despite occasional bumps in quality.

I get the sinking feeling they are trying to reposition Ed Helms as the new "lead" of the show. That was a very "Michael-like" episode for Andy, with him running the conference on VD, and then throwing a tantrum.
  Plus, it was written and directed by Paul "Toby" Lieberstein, the current show-runner. All but a lock that they're pushing Helms forward, basically.

#30 of 225 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted October 18 2010 - 03:13 PM

That's another thing -- am I the only one who thinks Carell is trying really hard not to phone it in, but just can't help it? The writing has pretty much gone downhill since Greg Daniels left, despite occasional bumps in quality.

In my opinion, as soon as Daniels left to do Parks and Recreation it instantly became a better show than The Office. As a result of that, Carell hasn't had much to work with the past couple of seasons and it's a damn shame because in the show's heyday Michael Scott was the funniest character on TV.

#31 of 225 John_Lee

John_Lee

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted October 19 2010 - 02:59 AM

I get the sinking feeling they are trying to reposition Ed Helms as the new "lead" of the show. That was a very "Michael-like" episode for Andy, with him running the conference on VD, and then throwing a tantrum.
  Plus, it was written and directed by Paul "Toby" Lieberstein, the current show-runner. All but a lock that they're pushing Helms forward, basically.

Read on AVClub that they are making a concerted effort to portray as many characters as possible in a 'Michael' role this season.  Kind of playing 'what if THIS one was in charge' each for an episode this season before casting Michael's replacement and heading off in whatever direction that choice entails.

#32 of 225 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,578 posts

Posted October 19 2010 - 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by John_Lee 

Read on AVClub that they are making a concerted effort to portray as many characters as possible in a 'Michael' role this season.  Kind of playing 'what if THIS one was in charge' each for an episode this season before casting Michael's replacement and heading off in whatever direction that choice entails.

That makes sense.  Although none of the "goofy" characters has what it takes to fill the lead of the Office.  I'll watch one more episode, and if I'm disappointed again I'm through with this show.

housekeeping 2.jpg

#33 of 225 sarali

sarali

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 02:35 PM

it must be great!

The Office Series 7 DVD Boxset

#34 of 225 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,578 posts

Posted October 22 2010 - 05:54 AM

Ok, "The Sting" was a good episode.  Weird twist with a new salesperson at DM.   Andy's band was funny, especially their song at the end about frogs.  Good stuff.

housekeeping 2.jpg

#35 of 225 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,936 posts

Posted October 29 2010 - 05:50 AM

I have to say that I'm sort of sick of Jim and Pam in total. Every moment their little arc with Olyphant played out on screen made me fucking cringe. The episode had its moments -- I am not ashamed to admit that the opening had me in stitches -- but boy, does this series need a shot in the arm to truly become interesting again.
  Between Michael being a completely clueless, hateful sociopath, and Jim and Pam's relentless narcissism, I'd have no problem with them leaving and re-tooling the entire thing. Or just letting it die altogether.

I mean, was it just so unbelievable that a character like Olyphant's wouldn't return a call to someone like Pam back then? "I just have to know, or it'll keep eating away at me!" Jesus, Pam.

#36 of 225 Gwon Chang

Gwon Chang

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted October 29 2010 - 04:17 PM

Are they grooming Darryl for the head or not? I felt it hinted last night...

music
words

what star wars is to the fanboys, the fedora is to me.

#37 of 225 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted October 29 2010 - 05:10 PM

The beginning with things that Stanley wouldn't notice had me on the floor....by far the funniest moment in the show this season.

#38 of 225 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,488 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 30 2010 - 01:34 AM

I loved when Michael started yelling at Kevin and Kevin was nearly in tears trying to explain himself. Eventhough they've taken it way past believability, I still find it funny when Erin does something dumb.

#39 of 225 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,936 posts

Posted October 30 2010 - 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwon Chang 

Are they grooming Darryl for the head or not? I felt it hinted last night...

You're not the only one -- IGN thinks so, too:

"The Office: Should Darryl Replace Michael?"

If the intent of that whole Jim-and-Pam plotline is to make us utterly despise Jim and Pam, then bravo, geniuses -- it fucking worked. Michael has long been hampered by really inconsistent writing that pegs him as either just a clueless schmuck (with a good heart) or kind of a raging douchebag...at this point, I sort of accept that as part of the show. Jim and Pam have only recently (in the show's life) started to become a pair of irritating assholes, though.

Maybe the show is building up to somebody finally bitch-slapping them for being offensively self-absorbed. Hopefully by Olyphant. If the entire show becomes retooled around Olyphant (to whatever extent) and Robinson, I'd be really happy.

Also:

../../../../image/id/389617/width/1000/height/500

Lots of folks had absolutely no idea, but Angela Kinsey's been stealth-sexy for awhile. To me, at least.

#40 of 225 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,819 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 30 2010 - 07:04 AM

They sure didn't explain well how Angela morphed from her penguin costume into the sexy nurse...but that's okay!  Posted Image

Josh:  You are spot on with your comments about the problems they have created with the characters of Michael, Jim & Pam.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users