Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

USHE Press Release: Despicable Me (Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D Combo Packs)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,528 posts

Posted September 22 2010 - 06:56 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,976 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted September 22 2010 - 01:46 PM

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,976 posts

Posted September 22 2010 - 01:48 PM

I saw this in the theater.  I wasn't sure if I was going to like it or not, but really enjoyed it. Will be picking this up for sure.  I'm glad to see more of the DVD/BD multi-disc combo packs from Universal and glad to see that they are doing a 3D home video release too.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,854 posts

Posted September 22 2010 - 02:10 PM

And here's our barometer for when I will have switched over to 3D-HD.    I will want to give this a proper review in the proper format, after all...

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted September 28 2010 - 05:53 PM

It is interesting that they are having separate 2D and 3D Blu-ray discs (in the same package, no less) when this is not a manufacturer exclusive release.  Isn't 3D supposed to be backwards compatible with 2D players and displays?

From what I understand, the 3D versions are not simply the 2D version with an extra eye.  For example, this article mentions dialing down the depth of field for the 3D version of The Polar Express.   That made me wonder from the get-go how well the backwards compatibility would work in practice.  I think it will be interesting to compare the 2D output of the 3D Blu-ray to that of the 2D Blu-ray.  (I wonder if this has not been done already with other titles.)

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,314 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted October 07 2010 - 10:15 AM

When Adam, Kevin and I visited Panasonic last May to preview Coraline and Ice Age 3 in 3D Blu-ray, we posed a similar question, "Is the 2D version a seperate file on the disc?" We were told "no," that in the simplest of terms it was similar to how DTS-HD Master Audio works. The 3D version has a "core" AVC file, which is the original 2D version, while the 3D is an additional AVC stream.

So, I have to agree, why not just release a 2D/3D version on Blu-ray? The retailers would be much happier if they only had to stock a Blu-ray version and DVD version.

Originally Posted by AaronMK 

It is interesting that they are having separate 2D and 3D Blu-ray discs (in the same package, no less) when this is not a manufacturer exclusive release.  Isn't 3D supposed to be backwards compatible with 2D players and displays?

From what I understand, the 3D versions are not simply the 2D version with an extra eye.  For example, this article mentions dialing down the depth of field for the 3D version of The Polar Express.   That made me wonder from the get-go how well the backwards compatibility would work in practice.  I think it will be interesting to compare the 2D output of the 3D Blu-ray to that of the 2D Blu-ray.  (I wonder if this has not been done already with other titles.)

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,976 posts

Posted December 09 2010 - 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronMK 

In theory they could be the same, but sometimes there may be differences in the film causing the studio to want to relese seperate versions.  Imagine for example where in the 3D version some action takes place off the screen, like a laser bolt traveling across the letterbox area.  That would be odd to watch in 2D.  It could be for marketing reasons too.  Having a 4 disc set is better than a 3 disc set.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,976 posts

Posted December 09 2010 - 09:57 AM

A preview of one of the 3 new shorts on the disc:

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,854 posts

Posted December 11 2010 - 07:02 AM

As I am not on a 3D HDTV yet, I'll only be reviewing the 2D Blu for this one.  If we're able to swing a 3D copy after my upgrade, I'll issue another review for the multi-dimensional version...