-

Photo
- - - - -

PS3 -> BD 3D

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted September 22 2010 - 06:50 AM

hooray!!  the PS3 got its 3D blu-ray update last night!!!  Now, I haven't looked at it yet, but the PS3 is such a better player than the one that came with my 3D bundle that I am sure that my kid's TV will soon have a standalone BD player.

Yup, the PS3 works great.  Now the BD player is on the cheap TV, with wireless connection to Netflix.  The cheap DVD player is now on the even cheaper TV, and the VHS (gasp!) is in the garage sale pile.

--ignore the man behind the curtain

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted September 27 2010 - 04:27 AM

But, there's no HD audio with blu ray 3D movies on the ps3...................

Why even bother? They need to do another firmware update, that will add the HD audio with the 3D capability.

Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted September 27 2010 - 08:12 AM

There is HD audio, just not the lossless HD-MA sort.  I'm perfectly willing to give up the audio, which I can't handle with my receiver, to get the 3D.  Maybe someday there will be some 3D movies to watch.

The Samsung Blu-ray player does have analog audio out, and I could get lossless to my rcvr that way.  However, the PS-3 loads faster, and has a much better web experience.

Netflix (oh, horror: no HD at all!) is much better on the PS-3.  With the TV and the BD player, you are restricted to only the "Watch Instantly" stuff you can line up from your computer.  the PS-3 gives me genres to look through, and a very cool search feature.

I don't know if a firmware update will give us both 3D picture and lossless sound - there may just be a hardware limit on the HDMI output.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted September 27 2010 - 08:26 AM

Just what kind of HD audio does it have? Because everything I've read about it said no HD audio with the 3D. The audio is much more important to me, anyway. That's why I bought a surround sound receiver. Especially when I upgraded to one that decodes the HD audio formats. HD video is nice, but if I have to choose one over the other, I'll take the audio everytime. 3D blu ray is kinda useless to me, without the HD audio to go along with it. Maybe it's just me............

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   MassiSandage

MassiSandage

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted September 27 2010 - 07:47 PM

Most current 3D displays require shutter glasses.  Sony initially stated that their new 3D displays would require shutter glasses but in the above posts it was announced that SONY is going to use Real  patent which requires polarized glasses.....

http://www.downloadvlcplayer.org

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted September 28 2010 - 05:23 AM

Perhaps it's a question of preference, but I can easily see the difference between DVD quality picture and a Blu-ray quality picture.  The difference in audio to me is subtle, at least in a room that is imperfect in many ways. And, when I am not watching 3D, I can get HD-MA audio through the HDMI connection, that is once I get a rcvr that can handle it.

Perhaps I have a different definition of HD audio - certainly the audio from a DVD exceeds CD quality.  And yes, lossless audio such as HD-MA would be better, but how much better?  The PS3 gives me sound at least as good (maybe better?) than the sound from a DVD through the optical connection.

The great thing is, we each get to choose what we want for our own little castle!

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted September 28 2010 - 03:24 PM

Here is a quote from Sony's Playstation 3 Update page:

Notice the bold print.............

Limitations on Blu-ray 3D™ disc playback

• The 3D display of some elements such as menus and subtitles may be different on the PS3™ system than on other 3D playback devices.
  • Depending on the content, some BD-J (Blu-ray Disc™ Java*) features such as BONUSVIEW™ and BD-Live™ may not play in 3D or may not function properly on the PS3™ system.
  • When Dolby TrueHD is selected as the audio format, audio will be output in Dolby Digital during playback of Blu-ray 3D™ content.
  • When DTS-HD is selected as the audio format, audio will be output in DTS during playback of Blu-ray 3D™ content.
*Blu-ray Disc Java provides enhanced bonus content, including network access, picture-in-picture (PIP) functionality and expanded local storage.

So, Sony themselves, says there's no HD audio output during 3D playback.

Perhaps I have a different definition of HD audio

No matter what your definition or my definition of HD audio is. The definition of HD audio is what it is. It's not open to interpretation.

I haven't looked it up, and don't have time now, but I think that CD audio is better than a dvd's DD or DTS soundtrack. DD and DTS is lossy (compressed) audio. I don't think CD audio is, or at least, not compressed as much. I know CD audio doesn't live up to SACD or DVD-Audio music, which is high resolution. But I think CD audio is a higher bitrate than DD and DTS. I'll have to check into that when I have more time. Unless someone that knows wants to chime in.............. Posted Image

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,863 posts

Posted September 29 2010 - 12:54 AM

Quite correct.  DD (at least coming from BDs) is more like high bitrate MP3 w/ discrete surround while lossy DTS is somewhat better than that.  At a per channel level, they are inferior to redbook CD, which is lossless.  The lossless HD formats (ie. Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD/MA, multi-channel PCM) can all exceed redbook CD at a per channel level, but they all have a bit less potential than the hirez audio-only formats like DVD-Audio and SACD.

Do note that we're really only talking about potential quality in all this -- and yes, there are diminishing returns as you move up the ladder.  Just like w/ the video transfers/encodes on DVDs and BDs, the actual quality you get can easily be something on a case-by-case basis.  For instance, many audiophiles note that the CD layer audio on many hybrid SACDs seem to be higher fidelity than the cheap, mass consumed CD versions you often find in stores (excepting the minority of audiophile quality CDs out there of course) -- the mastering done for the masses can easily be lower fidelity in order to cater to the preferences of the masses much like how EE/DNR might be applied to DVDs and BDs for the same reasons.  So there may indeed be very little real diff between a high bitrate, lossy compressed version of a mass produced/consumed CD and the CD itself, especially if you play both thru a low-fi setup.  And there's even the possibility that a high bitrate, lossy compressed version of a high quality original master can beat a poorly mastered CD.

As usual, the tools themselves don't guarantee quality.  It all depends on how these tools are actually used in practice...

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted October 04 2010 - 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ed Moxley 

No matter what your definition or my definition of HD audio is. The definition of HD audio is what it is. It's not open to interpretation.

Well, OK.  Where I wrote "definition" please replace with "expectation" or some other word that is open to interpretation.  I hadn't realized that HD audio was a defined standard.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted October 04 2010 - 07:41 AM

It would be interesting to see the bitrates of various formats, and the compression ratios.  That is something I've been unable to find...  I was certain that single DVD channels contained a greater bit depth or bit rate than single CD channels, and that BD raised these even higher.

The real point is that I got 3D on my PS-3, and can avoid having another thing in the growing stack!

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted October 18 2010 - 08:14 AM

Well, things just get better, don't they!  now I hear that my PS-3 will get surround sound from Netflix, and a 1080i picture as well.  And, I won't need that pesky disc.  I sure hope my DSL can handle the traffic...