What's new

the Venture Bros. season 4 (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
the second part of the 4th season started up recently, and there wasn't even a thread for the first part

the show still entertains but it seems a bit bloated now; i don't follow it with the same vigor i used to.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I want to see more of the Vatican karate-gorillas, dammit. It'll be good to have a proper villain back, in the Phantom Limb. And teaming him up with Professor Indochina (personal favorite new evil name) and Underbheit, to boot? Priceless.
  According to Jackson Publick's Livejournal, Nathan Fillion is going to be voicing a character later this season.  

Last week, the "Statutory Ape" T-shirt nearly killed me. It's so good to have this show back.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
So this episode was kind of incredible on all fronts. But Brock and Gathers insulting the poor stripper's breasts was transcendent.
  "Mournful. Her tits were mournful."   Also:   "They were like two suicide notes in a glitter bra" is currently fighting it out with, "She's like the Pelé of anal" for Best Line Of The Year.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by joshEH

So this episode was kind of incredible on all fronts. But Brock and Gathers insulting the poor stripper's breasts was transcendent.
"Mournful. Her tits were mournful." Also: "They were like two suicide notes in a glitter bra" is currently fighting it out with, "She's like the Pelé of anal" for Best Line Of The Year.

I totally agree...this was one of funniest episodes of the series. I was watching with a friend and we had to pause the replay after the tits scene. It just went on and on and we couldn't stop laughing. The War Room scene wasn't quite as funny (though Tiger Shark bit was) but all the stuff leading up to it and around it was great. Good times.

To why the show works for me, it doesn't reset. The Hank/Dean clone days are over and they are on their own and growing up and that is fun. I like that Henchman 21 is consantly growing as a character, too. This is the series that just keeps on giving. Glad they can keep it going. It is sad it takes so long between seasons but they really are worth the wait.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Double-agreed. Sgt. Hatred speaking with Optimus Prime's mask for the entire episode utterly destroyed me. The nicknames at the meeting were incredible, as well.

And this episode has also officially cemented my love for Seaman Shoreleave, as if his rampage in "Pinstripes and Poltergeists" wasn't enough already.

Admittedly, from time to time, I almost find myself wanting to see more of what's going on with SPHINX, The Monarch or even Phantom Limb than I am with the Venture crew, though that certainly was not case this week.

But these side character diversions are glorious. I would totally watch a Brock/Hunters-led show about SPHINX.

Fantastic episode. This is one for the "All-Time Best" lists that will be argued over for years to come, when this show finally ends its amazing run.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I found the gathering of the good/bad guys to be a waste of time, given that it went nowhere. I would have rather the time be spent on Zeus/Agent Zero and more Henchman 21, ...I mean #1. I thought Zero was going to be 24 and that 21 has been imagining him the whole time.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I'm confused. Why did they wipe Hank's memory all the way back so he couldn't remember his first time? The part of his memory he needed erased happened well after so why not just stop just before he touched the key? I thought the whole hat on / hat off was pretty funny. I guess next week we find out what happened to Dean during this time.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Anstey

I found the gathering of the good/bad guys to be a waste of time, given that it went nowhere. I would have rather the time be spent on Zeus/Agent Zero and more Henchman 21, ...I mean #1. I thought Zero was going to be 24 and that 21 has been imagining him the whole time.

Have to disagree -- Gen. Traister was OFF-HIS-ROCKER brilliant in that episode. ALL HAIL TOBY HUSS.

Really liked last night's episode -- I can't wait to see what the hell is up with the post-credits scene. Also, Hank's description of sex was pretty funny:

"It's like skydiving naked into a mountain of warm whipped cream."

Concerning the post-credits scene, I'm glad something finally happened with Dr. Venture, especially with his whole (I hate to use this word) "arc" of being inferior to his father and his brother. I'd love to see something new done with him. Statutory rape (or "ape"?) of a minor is a good start, I guess.

Also: "Get your ass to Mars!!"

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
That opening was fantastic. Can't believe no one's commented on Nathan Fillion as Anatomically-Correct Spider-Man. And I've had that Rusty musical stuck in my head since it aired.

Anyone else wish it was a three-parter, and we got to see Doc in the alternate universe? Heck, you could throw in a third alternate Doc, an evil one, just to show that, while our Doc never prospered, he never succumbed to villainy, either. He's just an in-the-middle bitter failure.

The villain tryouts and Ünderbheit as the cabbie absolutely slayed me.

(Who was the guy with the hawk supposed to be? And I love that they went with the fat guy as an addition to the crew.) And holy shit -- the guy in the bloody bear costume with the knife.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
(Who was the guy with the hawk supposed to be? And I love that they went with the fat guy as an addition to the crew.)

Brilliant couple of episodes The "guy with the hawk" takes a little 'splainin' . It is basically an acid-trip mash-up of the film Ladyhawke (Michelle Pfieffer, Rutger Hauer and Matther Broderick as the annoying sidekick, wisely omitted here) and former U.S. President Lyndon Baines Johnson (LBJ) and his wife Claudia Alta "Lady Bird"* Taylor Johnson. Get it? Lyndon "Bee" Johnson and "Ladybird"? I guess you had to bee there. (The 60s, I mean.) Anyway, in the movie Rutger and Michelle were a knight and his beloved, under a curse that trapped him in the form of a wolf during the hours of night and her in the form of his hunting hawk during daylight. Here when Ladybird is human, Lyndon is trapped in his bee form, and when he reverts to human, Ladybird becomes an actual bird. Definitely one (make that two) of the oddest pop-culture references used by the show so far. And yes, I had to rewind the credits on the DVD to see if that was really "Nathan Fillon" as the Spidey character. (Forgotten the name already. Brown Widower?)

Regards,

Joe

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
No comments about "The Rusty"? Entertaining episode especially with Dr. Girlfriend and 21, I mean Gary. I knew it was going to be good when TimTom and Kevin came into The Monarch's bedroom and I was not disappointed.

21: Muffled "Close the door on the way out"

The Monarch: "What is going on here?"

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Oh, this was, hands down, one of the best episodes yet. "The flying baby shall make love to the Black Spectre!"

Loved the tale of "The Rusty" not being able to close the deal with Lindsay Wagner. This should have been a two-parter, though. There was so much more they could've done in Rusty's mind.

"...They said there'd be vomit." Love this show. It just seems to get better all the time.

Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino (Michelle Pfieffer, Rutger Hauer and Matther Broderick as the annoying sidekick, wisely omitted here) and former U.S. President Lyndon Baines Johnson (LBJ) and his wife Claudia Alta "Lady Bird"* Taylor Johnson. Get it? Lyndon "Bee" Johnson and "Ladybird"? I guess you had to bee there. (The 60s, I mean.) Anyway, in the movie Rutger and Michelle were a knight and his beloved, under a curse that trapped him in the form of a wolf during the hours of night and her in the form of his hunting hawk during daylight. Here when Ladybird is human, Lyndon is trapped in his bee form, and when he reverts to human, Ladybird becomes an actual bird. Definitely one (make that two) of the oddest pop-culture references used by the show so far. And yes, I had to rewind the credits on the DVD to see if that was really "Nathan Fillon" as the Spidey character. (Forgotten the name already. Brown Widower?)

Ha, thanks, Joe. Rewatched that whole scene armed with this new info, and there's a great gag that I caught the second time around (hard to see) -- when they cut to "Lyndon Bee" in his human form, Ladyhawke Johnson is sitting there, as a hawk, with a note in her beak that says, "LB, We need milk. XO, LJ."

Hilarious, and sad -- they can only communicate with Post-Its! It's the little details that make this show so awesome.

Well, that, and random insanity like a silent guy in a blood-and-sweat-stained bear suit showing up unannounced at an interview.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks