What's new

Why does my HD content looks almost to real--what is wrong? (1 Viewer)

peanutcrunch

Auditioning
Real Name
steven

just got a epson 8500UB   I am using it with a LG BD370 Blu-ray Player with the following settings:   Resolution -- 1080P (shows icon of HDMI. I notice that that 1080i (but not the 1080p) shows icon of HDMI with 3 small dots; green/blue/red) 1080P Display Mode -- 60HZ (the other choice is 24HZ) HDMI Color Setting: YCbCr (the other choice is RGB)   Are these the best settings?   Here is the thing. I noticed that if I change the resolution to 1080i, I get *super* sharp images that are almost too real! Sort of like it was shot on video. Incredibly clear backgrounds too. My wife thinks it is too real and prefers the 1080P. What are we seeing here?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
My guess is there are two things happening here. When 1080p is selected, the projector is receiving a 1080/24p signal from the blu-ray player, so images look normal. But when it's receiving a 1080i signal, some form of frame interpolation kicks in which gives everything a hyper-real look.

Go through the user menus and switch off frame interpolation and everything should be fine.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
things that may give the hyper-real "soap opera" look:

Edge enhancement

frame interpolation / smooth motion / whatever they call it

"sharpness" which is just noise added to the picture

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden

Originally Posted by chuckg

things that may give the hyper-real "soap opera" look:

Edge enhancement

frame interpolation / smooth motion / whatever they call it

"sharpness" which is just noise added to the picture

The most likley candidate is the second one listed. Through your menu, try playing with the settings under Image>>Advanced>>Super Resolution. to see if you can make the eerie no motion blur effect go away.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks