-

Photo
- - - - -

Why does my HD content looks almost to real--what is wrong?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   peanutcrunch

peanutcrunch

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted September 21 2010 - 07:52 AM

just got a epson 8500UB   I am using it with a LG BD370 Blu-ray Player with the following settings:   Resolution --  1080P (shows icon of HDMI.  I notice that that 1080i (but not the 1080p) shows icon of HDMI with 3 small dots; green/blue/red)  1080P Display Mode --  60HZ (the other choice is 24HZ) HDMI Color Setting: YCbCr (the other choice is RGB)   Are these the best settings?   Here is the thing.  I noticed that if I change the resolution to 1080i, I get *super* sharp images that are almost too real!  Sort of like it was shot on video.  Incredibly clear backgrounds too.  My wife thinks it is too real and prefers the 1080P.  What are we seeing here?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,142 posts

Posted September 21 2010 - 08:18 AM

My guess is there are two things happening here. When 1080p is selected, the projector is receiving a 1080/24p signal from the blu-ray player, so images look normal. But when it's receiving a 1080i signal, some form of frame interpolation kicks in which gives everything a hyper-real look.

Go through the user menus and switch off frame interpolation and everything should be fine.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted September 21 2010 - 08:38 AM

things that may give the hyper-real "soap opera" look:

Edge enhancement

frame interpolation / smooth motion / whatever they call it

"sharpness" which is just noise added to the picture

--ignore the man behind the curtain

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,070 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted September 21 2010 - 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by chuckg 

things that may give the hyper-real "soap opera" look:

Edge enhancement

frame interpolation / smooth motion / whatever they call it

"sharpness" which is just noise added to the picture

The most likley candidate is the second one listed.  Through your menu, try playing with the settings under Image>>Advanced>>Super Resolution. to see if you can make the eerie no motion blur effect go away.

Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA