Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Lone Star season 1 thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,104 posts

Posted September 20 2010 - 12:35 AM

Can a show featuring a con man in Texas with 2 different sets of burgeoning family ties and the cushy after-House timeslot (Mondays at 9 p.m.on Fox) garner enough eyeballs to stay on the air?
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,987 posts

Posted September 20 2010 - 02:25 AM

I am going to give it a try; although it will be the last show from Moday night to clear the DVR.   - Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Producer

• 3,002 posts

Posted September 20 2010 - 03:10 AM

I think this and 'The Event' are the only local network new shows I will be checking out this fall.  And I'm not expecting either to be that great.

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Producer

• 3,002 posts

Posted September 21 2010 - 04:01 PM

I thought the pilot was okay.  I'll probably keep watching at least for now.  I can't help but think the show would be better off with a more charismatic lead.

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,507 posts

Posted September 22 2010 - 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by ScottH 

I can't help but think the show would be better off with a more charismatic lead.

I would have to disagree with you here.  James Wolk displayed just the right amount of charisma to the role.  As for the pilot itself, I thought it was perfect and had a great indie feel to it; one I haven't seen since "October Road".  Unfortunately, the ratings were beyond low for the premiere (although I've read this morning a decision hasn't been made yet).  I hope Fox gives it some traction first or this will be the second pilot with David Keith and Bryce Johnson they pushed to the side.  I'm still disappointed in Fox for not picking up (or at least airing it somewhere -- hell given the familiar cast and crew involved, there has never been a DVD release and they've had plenty of chances to capitalize on it) all seven produced episodes to an unaired pilot I had chance to see years ago called "Still Life".  They had a very moving, well written, strongly acted, family drama on their hands.  There was a lot of potential there.

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Producer

• 3,002 posts

Posted September 22 2010 - 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisCook 

I would have to disagree with you here.  James Wolk displayed just the right amount of charisma to the role.

Yeah I don't know.  I've never seen him in anything before but I thought he was very wooden and didn't play the emotional scenes with his father very well.

#7 of 31 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,507 posts

Posted September 22 2010 - 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by ScottH 

Yeah I don't know.  I've never seen him in anything before but I thought he was very wooden and didn't play the emotional scenes with his father very well.

He had a breakout role two years ago as "Brad Cohen" in Hallmark Hall of Fame's "Front of the Class".  Worth checking out (I'm really surprise it doesn't come up more on HTF as the supporting cast included Treat Williams, Sarah Drew, and Patricia Heaton), and he plays the emotional scenes extremely well in that production.  If "Lone Star" is given the chance, the father/son dynamic in this will likely evolve.  I like what I've seen so far.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1292594/

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Producer

• 3,002 posts

Posted September 22 2010 - 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisCook 

He had a breakout role two years ago as "Brad Cohen" in Hallmark Hall of Fame's "Front of the Class".  Worth checking out (I'm really surprise it doesn't come up more on HTF as the supporting cast included Treat Williams, Sarah Drew, and Patricia Heaton), and he plays the emotional scenes extremely well in that production.  If "Lone Star" is given the chance, the father/son dynamic in this will likely evolve.  I like what I've seen so far.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1292594/

Yeah I liked it enough to keep watching.  I was hoping for a more stable (emotionally) conman premise, but this could work if the writing is good.

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,507 posts

Posted September 23 2010 - 03:21 AM

Fox is sticking with Lone Star (for now) and the second episode will be broadcast next Monday (as planned).

http://tvseriesfinal...canceled-18535/

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,507 posts

Posted September 26 2010 - 06:55 AM

Just FYI, House is running three minutes into Lone Star's timeslot this week for those DVRing this show.

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,286 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted September 26 2010 - 03:14 PM

That was a fantastic pilot. Halfway through I told my wife, "I hope this goes someplace, because this is a show of horrible people that I don't want to watch."   Well, it went someplace. And it's still a show of horrible people. But it's exquisitely well crafted and I have to stay with it. And the lead has enough "redemption" in him to not be wholly off-putting. Looking forward to the ep 2.

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,033 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 27 2010 - 03:18 AM

The ratings are abysmal, so unless something changes I don't think you'll have to worry staying with it too long.

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,286 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted September 27 2010 - 05:04 AM

I guess people can't get behind the tale of a polygamist con man who steals from middle class.

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,104 posts

Posted September 27 2010 - 09:13 AM

Well, there's always Big Love to fall back on, I suppose, if this show gets the boot soon.

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 2,055 posts

Posted September 27 2010 - 09:41 AM

This was on the Hallmark Channel over the weekend and I watched it. Very good movie and James Wolk was excellent in it.

He had a breakout role two years ago as "Brad Cohen" in Hallmark Hall of Fame's "Front of the Class".  Worth checking out (I'm really surprise it doesn't come up more on HTF as the supporting cast included Treat Williams, Sarah Drew, and Patricia Heaton), and he plays the emotional scenes extremely well in that production.

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,507 posts

Posted September 28 2010 - 06:44 AM

Here's an update on last night's ratings:

http://tvseriesfinal...ellation-18695/

It was down slightly but the 18-49 demos stayed the same, which is a bit of a surprise.

[quote]Originally Posted by Kevin Hewell [url=/forum/thread/304114/lone-star-season-1-thread#post_3733418]

#17 of 31 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted September 28 2010 - 06:56 AM

I'm still watching...

#18 of 31 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,104 posts

Posted September 28 2010 - 07:13 AM

I wonder if they had casted a "name" in the lead role, would the ratings be a bit better, or is the subject matter just not people's cup of tea at the moment?

#19 of 31 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted September 28 2010 - 07:51 AM

It's the timeslot.  I'll bet people are watching The Event or Dancing with the Stars over Lone Star.  I watched The Event, but TiVo'd Lone Star.

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,104 posts

Posted September 28 2010 - 08:13 AM

You're part of the problem!!!!    "24" was getting 2-2.5 times the ratings in that timeslot last season (when it returned in the winter for its un-interrupted run into May).  "Lie to Me" got roughly twice the ratings over Lone Star in the same timeslot (but it was facing lesser competition on NBC's "Trauma" in that 9 p.m. timeslot), so I think the Q-factor of Jimmy Wolk just isn't high enough at this time in his career to carry a show.  This season, NBC is a bit stronger with "The Event" pulling in 3 million more sets of eyeballs than "Trauma" did last season at this time.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users