What's new

House season 7 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
House returns, and this time he's in a relationship with Cuddy. Oh boy. Airs on Fox at 8 p.m. EDT.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
That was one uncomfortable pairing. Almost as uncomfortable as Cuddy and the PI. Desire and closeness was expressed via physical cues rather than verbally. It seemed everytime there was an opportunity to elevate the closeness verbally, the ball thudded into the chest of the recipient rather than being caught and returned. As a practical matter, I didn' t think there was much chemistry between the leads.

It mostly worked, though. The episode pointed out (consistently with his character), House doesn't trust love, and he doesn't trust being happy. And just like in real relationships, there's the need to balance going in with your eyes open and analyzing things to death. Watching it unfold, I kept thinking about why people who "analyze it to death" do so -- usually it's because they need it to work out, and if it isn't going to, someone conduct a mercy killing before you get in too deep and are devastated later. Sadly, though, the need to know "what is this?" or more specifically, the steps taken to determine the answer to the question, can suck the fun out of what should be a happy time.

What's needed is Balance. Which would be fine if House were a balanced person. He's not, so whether he talks about it or not, he's going to analyze the relationship to within an inch of its life.

As it relates to Olivia Wilde, rumor has it that

she's not completely gone from the show, but she'll be gone for awhile

Bottom line? I'm glad Dr. Greg is back. Bring on the fun.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

That was one uncomfortable pairing. Almost as uncomfortable as Cuddy and the PI. Desire and closeness was expressed via physical cues rather than verbally. It seemed everytime there was an opportunity to elevate the closeness verbally, the ball thudded into the chest of the recipient rather than being caught and returned. As a practical matter, I didn' t think there was much chemistry between the leads.

We have six seasons of television demonstrating that there is much chemistry between the leads. So why not last night? Because the sexual attraction is offset by distrust that goes beyond sexual tension into something unhealthy. They say close and express themselves physically because they are afraid to do so verbally. And because they've had years of reading between the lines with each other, ever bit of non-speech from one is over-analyzed by the other. The story of Huddy is going to be two people that love each other but don't trust each other.

It mostly worked, though. The episode pointed out (consistently with his character), House doesn't trust love, and he doesn't trust being happy. And just like in real relationships, there's the need to balance going in with your eyes open and analyzing things to death. Watching it unfold, I kept thinking about why people who "analyze it to death" do so -- usually it's because they need it to work out, and if it isn't going to, someone conduct a mercy killing before you get in too deep and are devastated later. Sadly, though, the need to know "what is this?" or more specifically, the steps taken to determine the answer to the question, can suck the fun out of what should be a happy time.

With House, it was also about being honest. He does love Cuddy, but he doesn't especially love or trust himself. The selfless part of him that loves her wants to warn her off of the rest of him. The rest of him, knowing such a warning is coming, wants to maintain the fantasy as long as possible. At the same time, you're absolutely right about his analytic nature being a defense mechanism. House is as pessimistic as they come, and by highlighting all of the potential downsides, you make a mess of your life but avoid disappointment. With House, every moment of happiness is a pleasant surprise. By contrast, most moments of sadness have been prophesied from a distance; the death of his patient in the season six finale wasn't and that's part of what made it so crushing.

As it relates to Olivia Wilde, rumor has it that  

she's not completely gone from the show, but she'll be gone for awhile

I don't think that's really a spoiler since her name was just added to the opening credits. I don't think they'd do that if she were only going to be in one episode. That being said, she's going to be gone for most of the season. She'll be replaced by

a med student played by Amber Tamblyn who is supposed to be as brilliant as House, but far more naive and idealistic.

Personally, I think Thirteen's kind of been played out, visual appeal not withstand, so it'll be nice to take a breather from her character.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I had/have zero interest in the House/Cuddy relationship, I had to fast forward through all of it, but I did stop when she fell on the bed(you know, just in case something was shown) and then I continued to FF. I hope I start to like their relationship or these episodes will be really short.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Jeremiah, I'm not sure we're supposed to like the relationship, which is why I really like the show. What's going on is far more relatable to me as something that'd occur in real life than what we'd normally see on TV. Tina Turner famously asked, "What's love got to do with it?" It can be very true. It's not a matter of if two people are crazy about each other, it's a matter of do they fit. Are they compatible?

Cuddy's saying she likes House for who he is, warts and all, but how would she have felt if her hospital's ER was shut down? How would the board have felt about HER for allowing that to happen and being incommunicado the way she was? After all, it's one thing to instruct your assistant that you're taking some time and to only call you in case of true emergency. It's another thing to just turn off your phone (or stop answering it). And House even suggesting she do that in the first place was the height of selfishness. A selfishness we can sort of understand though since he's in the midst of something he has wanted for so long, and still wants very badly, but doesn't believe will last.

Let's go on a trip tomorrow? Selfishness. She has a child to make arrangements for. She has a hospital that is extremely important to make arrangements for. "So you'll break up with your boyfriend, but you won't leave your job." Guilt trips aren't the way to show you care about another person. But House is House. And she gives in to it similarly to how a loving parent can give in to an unreasonable child -- because you want your unreasonable child to be happy.

I'm going to have a big empty spot where House, M.D. used to be when this show goes away.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This was one brutal episode. The martyr patient is one of the secondary players in Disney's pen, I think from the remade Cheaper by the Dozen movies. She did a really good job. Loved the clinic patients, the ancient father and son pair both bribing House to get the other off of them. It's always a pleasant surprise when Allan Rich pops up in a role like this; he's a terrific character actor. It was nice to see House give them their money back, a sure sign that this relationship is changing him if anything is. Glad to see House and Cuddy have a blowout, because they definitely needed to. The interesting thing is going to be seeing how (or even if) they can balance being brutally honest at work without building up huge reserves of resentment for after work.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]It was nice to see House give them their money back, a sure sign that this relationship is changing him if anything is[/COLOR]

Funny, I thought the opposite...He seemed more like early seasons House in this episode. We haven't seen the douchebag House since parts of S5. In S6 he was completely lifeless and sanitized. So far he hasn't treated Cuddy any better either, and I don't know why she puts up with his antics.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I liked this episode more than the first 2 episodes this season. The go kart racing was actually kinda fun with House being House. The Huddy stuff was okay.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by joshEH

"She hates Jews!"

"...NEVER AGAIN."

I admit, this made me laugh. This was a solid episode, good insight into how House is worried about how to actually make their relationship "work".

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Vinessa Shaw is still pretty hot. She is probably best known as Domino, the hooker in "Eyes Wide Shut".

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This episode cracked me up when it came to House/Wilson's scenes.

Can't believe that was Lane from Gilmore Girls playing the Peds doc trying for a spot on House's team.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Wilson crawling out the window while giving his "man up" speech was pretty damn funny. Loved the show hated the beginning.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Good episode. Brutal ending for the patient of the week, but inevitable as soon as she said, "it's only nine days." I love all of the stuff with the kid, because it feels fresh and it's territory the show's never ventured into before. And it's also something that could have never happened before House got clean. Damn baseball for delaying the rest of the season until November.

Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

Can't believe that was Lane from Gilmore Girls playing the Peds doc trying for a spot on House's team.

Wow. I feel old.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

Wow. I feel old.

Keiko Agena (Peds doc) was close to 27 years old when she started on Gilmore Girls in 2000, almost twice the age of her character, Lane, at the time. Craziness.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
While I thought the peds doctor's refusal of the position was pretty weak (she'd let her opinion of Taub affect her?) the episode was very good. In fact this season's been pretty good. I think the House/Cuddy relationship has settled into place just fine and gives a nice balance to the case of the week. Plus, it's set up some funny House / Wilson interactions too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks