Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Castle season 3 thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
99 replies to this topic

#1 of 100 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,887 posts

Posted September 20 2010 - 12:25 AM

Crime writer Richard Castle and his muse, Det. Kate Beckett, are back for a 3rd season, but are they on the same side?  Airs on ABC at 10 p.m. EDT after Dancing with the Stars.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 100 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,378 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 20 2010 - 03:11 PM

I loved it. Probably one of my favorite episodes of the whole series. Just astounding character work the entire hour. I loved the way Castle was allowed to be mysterious again, in a way he hasn't been since early in the first season. The premiere did a good job of giving the finale weight. In the interrogation room the first time, he realizes that she'd been ready to give him his shot and he blew it, and then compounded it by being AWOL ever since. Him getting the cold shoulder from everyone -- and still being brilliant and hilarious, even while visibly hurt -- leads to the climax with Beckett finally trusting Castle with a gun, something we've been waiting for the entire series and made even more remarkable by Beckett's sense of betrayal. The scene at the very end by the stairs where Beckett lets him back in was exceptionally well-acted. There's a sense of... relief from both of them. This is a show that all too often coasts on the easy banter and episodic storytelling, but there was nothing lazy about this episode. Terrific!

#3 of 100 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted September 20 2010 - 07:07 PM

I was flipping back and forth between the premier of "Castle" and "Hawaii Five-O", and ultimately spend more time with "Castle".  Very good story and well-acted.

SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#4 of 100 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,542 posts

Posted September 21 2010 - 08:56 AM

I was distracted because I had to do some work for a client. I pretty much watched the whole premiere and agree it was well done. The leads have good chemistry. What I was kinda lost about is why Beckett and the others so mad at Castle for not calling when he got back from the Hamptons? I guess they expected him to. If that's so, then I guess that it.

But as Adam posted above, I missed that little subtle exchange in the interrogation room that Beckett was open to him, but he blew it.

#5 of 100 OFFLINE   Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted September 21 2010 - 05:53 PM

I didn't see that exchange in the interrogation room... I saw that exchange between Castle and his daughter. Castle left Beckett in the arms of her boyfriend, so he had no way of knowing that she even gave him a 2nd thought.

I don't much get into the whole "chance lost" thing. It implies the value is only on one side.

I was thinking back to the original episodes where there was discussion as to whether the actress who plays Beckett is gay or not, in part due to her haircut, etc. I was reminded of that because she was very nice looking in this episode. A little hair and makeup went a long way.

Studios, caption your internet streams.

#6 of 100 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,378 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 11 2010 - 03:04 PM

I thought the Stephen J. Cannell typewriter tribute at the end of tonight's episode was a really classy touch.

#7 of 100 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,542 posts

Posted October 11 2010 - 06:15 PM

Yes, it was a nice tribute.

You think the guy Beckett left with is her brother?

#8 of 100 OFFLINE   Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted October 12 2010 - 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Nelson Au 

You think the guy Beckett left with is her brother?

If so that's would please me. It would also be proof that her family had dynamite genes.

#9 of 100 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,378 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 12 2010 - 03:13 PM

Whoever that guy with Beckett is, he's a giant. Nathan Fillion is one tall dude, and that guy towered over him.

#10 of 100 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,790 posts

Posted October 13 2010 - 03:37 AM

Beckett's new friend was played by Victor Webster from Mutant X.  He has a credit for that episode of Castle as Josh Davidson so I suspect he is a boyfriend.  BTW, he is listed as being 6' 3" in height on IMDB.   Nathan Fillion is listed at 6" 1 1/2" so I suspect they filmed Josh/Webster at an angle to make him appear much taller than Castle.

I though the Stephen J. Cannell tribute was very nice.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#11 of 100 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,894 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 13 2010 - 04:10 PM

I dig the hell out of Muse Watson, who played Yosemite Sam.  He was Charles Westmoreland on Prison Break.  I'd kill to have him and Jim Beaver paired in a western.

#12 of 100 OFFLINE   Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted October 14 2010 - 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Greg_S_H 

I dig the hell out of Muse Watson, who played Yosemite Sam.  He was Charles Westmoreland on Prison Break.  I'd kill to have him and Jim Beaver paired in a western.

Not bad. I'd also add Sam Elliott to the mix. I wish there were more TV movies like The Sacketts and The Shadow Riders, etc.

#13 of 100 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted October 17 2010 - 04:55 AM

I can't say enough about how much I'm liking this show.  It is just getting better and better.  I do appreciate that they've toned down Castle's mother and daughter a bit.  Mom is not as over the top and brassy as she was in the first season and the daughter is acting more like a teenage girl, albeit a smart and mature one.  I also like the fact that Beckett's partners are not just there for laughs but are good solid cops who do the hard work and burn the shoe leather.

Good stuff all around.

#14 of 100 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,542 posts

Posted October 17 2010 - 05:06 AM

Agreed with your comments Michael.

I guess, as I've heard Nathan say in interviews, they'll keep finding ways to tease this attraction between Castle and Beckett and keep them apart. I like how all the other cops and the coroner are onto Castle and Beckett's attraction to each other too.

Monday's looks like they'll take some fun pokes at Grey's Anatomy. Seriously? Posted Image

#15 of 100 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,384 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 19 2010 - 07:41 AM

What happened to the relationship with Castle's publisher ex?  I don't recall anyone saying it was over but they aren't referring to it either.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#16 of 100 OFFLINE   John Lloyd

John Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator

• 240 posts

Posted October 19 2010 - 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny Angell 

What happened to the relationship with Castle's publisher ex?  I don't recall anyone saying it was over but they aren't referring to it either.

Now I am confused. Wasn't she on last night's episode?

#17 of 100 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,041 posts

Posted October 19 2010 - 05:35 PM

Yes she was featured last night.

#18 of 100 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,384 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 20 2010 - 10:36 AM

I hadn't seen that when I wrote my post and I couldn't recall any reference to her previous episodes this season.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#19 of 100 OFFLINE   Joe_H

Joe_H

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted October 21 2010 - 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by John Lloyd 

Now I am confused. Wasn't she on last night's episode?

Was that the same actress?  Maybe it's my memory, or I'm thinking of someone else, but I thought she looked way different last time we saw her.

#20 of 100 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,378 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 21 2010 - 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Joe_H 

Was that the same actress?  Maybe it's my memory, or I'm thinking of someone else, but I thought she looked way different last time we saw her.

I did too. The reason why is the nature of the character's introduction in the pilot. She's actually the first voice we hear and the first character we see (other than the corpse), but she's in selling mode, so she's all sultry seductress. Her later scenes are flirty, too. When we see her again, it's just a cameo in the last season finale, and then on Monday, there's no sultry seductress at all. The dance is over, and it's onto more substantial issues. She's also made up to look younger in Monday's episode than she was in the pilot. And the pilot was shot on location in Manhattan with a New York City crew, while the rest of the series has been shot in L.A. trying to look like New York with a Los Angeles crew.