What's new

Boardwalk Empire official discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Added HBO back to my programming package this week strictly for this show. Hope it's as good as I'm expecting it to be.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I will say this: the production values are incredible. From cinematography to sound, this show has an insane polish. It will take me a bit to warm up to the characters, a lot was introduced tonight. But I like the setting and the actors, so a great start in general.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
It's on the DVR will try to catch it tonight, I Like Buscemi but it will be interesting to see a show built around him, he's usually more of a supporter. Anyone know if this will be the standard 12 to 13 ep season or less?

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
I expected to really like Boardwalk Empire, but I was not impressed. I can't describe it, but something seemed to be off. Part of it might be that Buscemi, who I like, isn't a strong enough presence. The heavy Italian mobster (sorry, I don't remember the name) was a cartoonish character.

But maybe it was the usual first episode, trying to include too much (including a young Al Capone). I will give it another episode.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Holy shit. I'm hooked. THAT was a fucking TV show. After that first freeze-frame, I knew we were in Scorsese's playground. Perfectly executed, there.
  I'm almost sad I won't be first seeing this on Blu-Ray, as I could watch another episode right now.
  Technology is doing some great things with headshots. Can't wait to see what The Walking Dead brings us.    

Also, it appears that the guy in Chicago was killed by his underlings because he was holding them back from getting involved in bootlegging. Rothstein hasn't learned about the robbery yet, if the "next-week-on" thing is to be believed. Arnold Rothstein is a very interesting figure, and Stuhlbarg is great playing him  

-- I hope the series lets him shine. So far, so good.
  Thelma Schoonmaker edited this episode, BTW. I wonder if every episode will feel as ingrained in the "Scorsese/Schoomaker" feel as this episode is. With most series, the style of editing and photography of the pilot is kept constant throughout the series, but I can't imagine it'll be easy filling the shoes of Marty and Thelma every week.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A reminder to posters to make sure you are utilizing spoiler tags when talking about specific plot points as some us haven't watched the episodes yet or are using their DVRs for later viewing. Thank you.

Crawdaddy

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Really enjoyed the premier episode last night.

Have to give credit to the set designers. Visually,
the show really wraps you into the period -- beautifully

unwrapped in High Definition. Also have to give a nod

to the cinematography. Scorcese used some really

interesting angles to tell his story.

From what I have read, the initial 4 episodes are

weak compared to what follows. However, I was not

disappointed in anything that I saw. Very nice start

to the series. I love anything Buscemi is in and he

seems like he'll work well in this role. Those looking

for a Tony Soprano mob guy will probably be disappointed.

One thing I feel kind of silly to talk about -- I was

very confused about the ending...

The corrupt police captain was looking for Jimmy
following the heist in the woods. It looked like it

was Jimmy that was picked up in the streets, thrown

in the truck, on the boat, and into the ocean. However,

the final scene reveals Jimmy still alive playing with his

kids.

Was the person picked up off the street the wife-battering

husband?

Looking forward to the next installment.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I was totally happy with Buscemi in the lead role. I also have to admit that I lost track of who was doing what to whom about 2/3 of the way through, and plan to watch it again before next week.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Ron-

Yes, that was the wife-beating husband. They tried to make that very clear in the end when they said his name and the fishermen found the 'part time baker' which was his occupation. Since this was clearly said in the show, not a spoiler

But, it helps build the myth of the character

In real life, Eloch was very, very popular with the people in large part because he gave away huge amounts of money and was seen as a defender of the "little guy" which is why even to his death he was brought in to rally up votes, as he had that kind of reputation.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
BTW, what a pleasant surprise to see Dabney Coleman.

Haven't seen the actor since the 80s. Thought he was dead.

Age is a bitch. He's hardly recognizable.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Who was Dabney Colemans character?

edit - Was he the guy that gave Nucky the book about Jews?

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Well I thought that was incredible television. Can't remember liking a pilot as much as this. If it gets even better after 4 episodes then consider me on board for good.

Jeremiah, yes, that was Dabney.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Really good pilot. Everything worked, on both sides of the camera, and in the editing room and post.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
About the wife beater,

Also, if you listen to the radio when hes found in the net, it mentions him being suspected of being involved in the robbery.

It looked amazing. Television has come a long way.

I liked the pilot, but didnt love it, but also realize this is simply introduction. Looking foward to seeing some more.

Really strong cast. Anyone notice Molly Parker as Nuckys wife in the photos he had around his room? Too bad she wont be a regular, as shes a favorite of mine.But one of my other favorite actresses will be making a appearance later in the season.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I thought this was excellent. If they can keep up the quality, this show could end up standing with grade-A HBO shows like The Sopranos, The Wire and Deadwood.

Originally Posted by JonZ

Anyone notice Molly Parker as Nuckys wife in the photos he had around his room?

That was actually her? I saw the picture and chuckled to myself because she looked so much like Alma Garret.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks