-

Photo
- - - - -

We may have to hang on to our BEAUTY AND THE BEAST DVD's...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,093 posts

Posted September 18 2010 - 11:56 AM

The latest issue of Rolling Stone has a very flattering review of the Disney Blu-ray, but mentions, "Unless it's hidden, the early "work in progress" version that appeared on that previous DVD set is a notable omission."

Surely it must be on there somewhere....? If not, I'll have to buy back the previous set and add the first disc from it into this set. I had to do that with SLEEPING BEAUTY when I discovered the DVD and Blu editions had different commentary tracks. I should have learned from that!

#2 of 28 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted September 18 2010 - 10:39 PM

It's there, but only in PiP form. You have to put in the DVD from the set to watch it fullscreen.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#3 of 28 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted September 19 2010 - 02:53 PM

PiP?  Well that just sucks then.  I see I'm going to have to keep the DVD then just for that extra alone.  I'll still purchase the BD of course for the upgrade in picture quality.....but to downgrade the workprint to a picture-in-picture track doesn't make sense since both the DVD and Laserdisc versions had it as a full-blown extra.

Recently watched- The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Godzilla 3D, The Walking Dead: Season 4, Lost: Season 2, Dracula(1979), Lost: Season 1, True Grit(2010), Tales From The Crypt: Season 1, 300: Rise Of An Empire 3D, Noah, Sin City, Phantom Of The Paradise, 300, The Final Terror, Willow, The Bank Job, One Hour Photo

Currently watching- Planet Earth, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3, Lost: Season 3, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2

"Look, Mommy! Dinosaurs!"

#4 of 28 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,804 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 19 2010 - 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Joseph J.D 

PiP?  Well that just sucks then.  I see I'm going to have to keep the DVD then just for that extra alone.

I could be wrong but I think Brian is saying that the DVD is included along with the Blu-ray.

#5 of 28 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted September 20 2010 - 04:07 AM

That's correct, at least according to the people who already own it. Honestly, I don't really care. It's still there (on both discs, even) and this way it won't take away much from the disc space a complete version of the workprint would.

#6 of 28 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,146 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted September 20 2010 - 07:19 AM

It's something that might play better as a PIP anyway, IMO.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 28 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,775 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted September 20 2010 - 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

It's something that might play better as a PIP anyway, IMO.

This.  I never did buy the DVD, so the Blu will be new to me, if I decide to buy it.  That said, PIP should be good enough, I couldn't imagine watching an unfinished line drawing all the way through.

#8 of 28 Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,453 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted September 20 2010 - 08:57 AM

IIRC the DVD was authored so that both versions were a multi-angle stream which shared the video bitrate and made the visual quality absolutely horrendous - a flurry of mosquito noise.  I saw the DVD once and shelved it; it was unwatchable on my setup.  Looking forward to the upgrade.

#9 of 28 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,034 posts

Posted September 20 2010 - 09:18 AM

The Work-in-Progress version isn't "an unfinished line drawing all the way through"; only some scenes are presented as unfinished line drawings.  I agree that picture-in-picture functionality is useful for this sort of thing, allowing the viewer to compare the work-in-progress version to the finished picture.  At the same time, the Work-in-Progress is the version of Beauty and the Beast that originally premiered, isn't it?  As such, I think it should be preserved on disc.  Add to this the fact that is was included as a complete version of the film unto itself on laserdisc and DVD, and omitting it from the Blu-ray is a definite downgrade.  I agree that it was implemented poorly (with regard to image quality) on DVD, but the solution is to do it right this time around, not to ditch it altogether.

#10 of 28 Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted September 20 2010 - 10:30 AM

my first home-video experience with B&tB was the laserdisc Workprint.  Which was... surprising.  Not just the heart tattooed on the Beast's rump, but that even though it skipped from finished form to pencil test to clean-line drawing, to photographed story-board -- it was perfectly watchable.  Not as in, "I can stand to watch this," but in some ways just as real and valid a "show" as was the fully animated form I saw later.

Leo

#11 of 28 Tony Int

Tony Int

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted September 21 2010 - 11:36 AM

I am not entirely sure, but I think that the Work In Progress presented on the DVD is not only a different version than the one on the laserdisc, but is also framed incorrectly/differently. I have never seen the dvd version, but own the laserdisc.

#12 of 28 SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,472 posts

Posted September 23 2010 - 03:40 PM

But is the true original theatrical cut on there? What was on the first DVD still had the redone IMAX scenes in it.

#13 of 28 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,146 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted September 23 2010 - 08:17 PM

I wouldn't expect the animation fixes to ever be changed back to the older version.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#14 of 28 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted September 23 2010 - 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

I wouldn't expect the animation fixes to ever be changed back to the older version.

According to that guy on UltimateDisney who already has it, all of the changes are reversed for the theatrical version. So you in fact get the original version, apart from the opening logo. That has been replaced by the current Castle logo, and the Animation Studios one right after it. A bit of a shame.

#15 of 28 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,034 posts

Posted September 24 2010 - 01:57 AM

Wow, really?  That's great (and unexpected) news!  Gives me hope for The Lion King...

#16 of 28 Claus Nielsen

Claus Nielsen

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted September 24 2010 - 04:10 AM

I just checked a couple of scenes from the BD and it appears that the theatrical version is indeed the theatrical version.

#17 of 28 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,034 posts

Posted September 24 2010 - 06:08 AM

Does that include the audio?  Specifically, the crashing sounds over the beast's "howl" when Belle leaves the castle?  Even if they went out of their way to put all the animation changes back the way they were, I can imagine them overlooking the audio.  Any word on whether or not that's the case?

#18 of 28 Claus Nielsen

Claus Nielsen

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted September 24 2010 - 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cafink 

Does that include the audio?  Specifically, the crashing sounds over the beast's "howl" when Belle leaves the castle?  Even if they went out of their way to put all the animation changes back the way they were, I can imagine them overlooking the audio.  Any word on whether or not that's the case?

There are crashing sounds over the beast's howl in the SE version that aren't in the theatrical cut. There is also some stuttering when the beast wants to show Belle to her room. It sounds like "You wanna you wanna stay in the tower".

#19 of 28 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,034 posts

Posted September 24 2010 - 07:28 AM

You're saying that those two scenes differ between the two versions on the Blu-ray?  That's great news!  It sounds like the "theatrical version" really is the theatrical version this time.  I didn't think it'd ever be released again, honestly.  Great job, Disney!

#20 of 28 Claus Nielsen

Claus Nielsen

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted September 24 2010 - 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by cafink 

You're saying that those two scenes differ between the two versions on the Blu-ray?  That's great news!  It sounds like the "theatrical version" really is the theatrical version this time.  I didn't think it'd ever be released again, honestly.  Great job, Disney!

The scene with the beast' howl sounds different between the two versions. The stuttering is in both versions. It was fixed on the old dvd, iirc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users