What's new

IMDB has a new look, please make it stop. (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Woke up to find a new, hard to manuever, look a IMDB.

Thankfully, there will be a way to get back to the old format.

Didn't this happen before?

Can I change my user preferences to keep the old design? Yes, we're creating a user preference for people who prefer to keep the current version of Title and Name pages. We're releasing that preference by Friday, September 24th.

Once you set this new preference you can have the old pages back exactly as they were before September. You will not see the new name and title pages even when we complete the testing phase and the rest of the redesign. Instead, you will eventually see what we are calling a reference view. The reference view will be an alternate view built on the new technology and focused around core reference data. We'll build the design for these new reference pages together with our contributors who will be consulted throughout.

If you'd rather not wait for the global user preference to be in place, there is a workaround in place now.

First, set your user preference to "Display full credits (title pages)," and you will automatically be redirected to the /combined/ view, which has not yet been redesigned.

Second, set your user preference to "Display acting credits sorted by type (name pages)," and you will be automatically redirected to the /filmotype/ view, which has not yet been redesigned.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
HIDEOUS.

Looks like some kind of generic shopping site. Image-oriented, white space galore, yet more images as "recommendations" (right in the middle of the page, interrupting the content you went there for)...

And just try looking up a person, where ALL their credits used to appear -- COMPLETE, on one page.

Unbelievable.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I'm sorry guys I don't see the changes, IMDB looks exactly the same as it's always been.

Looked up John Wayne and all the credits were on one page, just like always.

Gave me a bit of a scare there, I regularly use IMDB.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Are you doing a search for a movie or a person and going to that page?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Well, I get the new look and it sucks. Instead of a sidebar on the left with all of the information links, it's all way at the bottom of the page. I'm glad they're offering a legacy view preference, but I don't get this change. I guess it's the Facebookization of the IMDb.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Interesting that not all of us are seeing the "NEW IMDB".

What were they thinking?

There was some other forum I used to visit quite often that made a ghastly change, but, unlike them, I REALLY NEED the Internet Movie Data Base.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
[squints] No. I still don't see it. [cue Henry grinding his teeth] But wait a minute.. there is more white on the sides, the credits area is thinner than I remember, is that what this is about? Hmmm still useable though.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I see it. I mean, it basically has the same info, just in a different setup. I like the old look, but this new one hasn't proved to be a major turn off. Not yet, at least.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Just changed my preferences back to the original. It's funny, they warn you that if you do that you'll have to take the entire cast/crew listed on the movie title page. Fantastic!! I always hated having to click to a second page to find composer or whatnot. Maybe that option was available before, but whatever, I'm mighty glad to have it now. Scrolling with mouse or holding the PgDn key a little longer to get to the lower sections on the page is no problem at all.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
https://secure.imdb.com/register-imdb/siteprefs

I checked the first two boxes and selected Original in last box.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Originally Posted by Steve Christou

Really, I'm so used to having "unique" problems here.

Like being periodically shut out (I know its you Michael).

But I was pretty sure others were going to see this one.

And yes, Thank You Charles!

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
When I was looking (very VERY briefly) through their FAQs to find where to fix this for myself, I saw a comment by IMDb to the effect that the change was being rolled out gradually for more users.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I completely hate it. I've been with IMDb since the early 90's and, for me, it's an online reference book and I hit it two or three times a week for some quick information. Now it seems designed to keep you on a page longer. The first quarter of the page is made up only of images and video - useless. One of my favorite features is the Trivia section. It used to be easily located in the sidebar and now you have to either hunt for it somewhere half way down the page, or scroll all the way to the bottom for the quick links section.

I do, however, like the very top of the page - the synopsis and ratings bit. But once you start looking for specific info then forget it.

But then again, if you read it's message boards, it seems no one actually looks at the information anyway ("who was the actress who played carol? i can't figure it out. heeeelllpppp!")

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That's like people who still write in to the Sunday newspaper magazines. "I really like the guy who played so-and-so on such-and-such. What else have I seen him in?" Geez, look it up on the IMDb.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
As of last night, I was still seeing the old look for random actors and movies (probably 1 out of 20 I'd search).

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I use IMDb almost daily, and I always have it open when I'm writing a review. But I didn't hit the new format until today. I'm not sure what to make of it yet. I was used to the old format, but I didn't much care for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks