-

Photo

VAMPIRE CIRCUS Bluray/DVD Combo Details Up at DVD Drive-In!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   AlanBrom

AlanBrom

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted September 17 2010 - 06:16 AM

I just came upon this at DVD Drive-In. Looks to be a great release from Synpase Films. I'm so thankful this film and HANDS OF THE RIPPER and TWINS OF EVIL are out of the useless hands of MGM-Fox.

www.dvddrive-in.com

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,852 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 17 2010 - 07:12 AM

Dude, I was heading here to announce the very same thing!

This is good, very good!

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Synapse has officially announced to DVD Drive-In that they will be releasing the Hammer Horror classic VAMPIRE CIRCUS at the end of 2010 as a Blu-Ray + DVD Combo Pack. This is the first time that the film has officially been available on disc in North America, and in stunning High-Definition. The SRP is $29.95. TWINS OF EVIL and HANDS OF THE RIPPER will be announced in the coming months for release some time in 2011. Here are the full details -- Blu-Ray Specifications: VIDEO: High-Definition 1080p Widescreen (1.66:1) Presentation / AVC Codec; AUDIO: DTS-HD MA English 2.0 Mono / DTS-HD MA Music & Effects Track; SUBTITLES: English for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. DVD Specifications: VIDEO: Anamorphic Widescreen (1.66:1) Presentation; AUDIO: Dolby Digital English 2.0 Mono / Dolby Digital Music & Effects Track; SUBTITLES: English for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.

Blood-Curdling Special Features Include: THE BLOODIEST SHOW ON EARTH: “Making Vampire Circus” - An all-new documentary featuring interviews with writer/director Joe Dante, Hammer documentarian Ted Newsom, Video Watchdog editor/author Tim Lucas, author/film historian Philip Nutman and actor David Prowse; GALLERY OF GROTESQUERIES: A Brief History of Circus Horrors - A retrospective on circus/carnival themed horror productions; VISITING THE HOUSE OF HAMMER: “Britain's Legendary Horror Magazine” - A retrospective on the popular British horror/comic publication featuring author Philip Nutman; VAMPIRE CIRCUS: Interactive Comic Book" - Featuring artwork by Brian Bolland; Poster And Stills Gallery; Original Theatrical Trailer. The extras were produced by Daniel Griffith of Ballyhoo Motion Pictures.

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   AlanBrom

AlanBrom

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted September 17 2010 - 07:20 AM

Yeah this made my weekend. Too bad MGM won't be doing the same for QUEEN OF BLOOD or THE BLACK SLEEP (or anything, accept TROLL II).

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted September 18 2010 - 12:04 PM

Anything to finish my Hammer collection!!

Looks great!

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted September 18 2010 - 07:27 PM

I saw the censored version of VAMPIRE CIRCUS in a theater when it was new. Since then I've been watching the uncut region 4 DVD. The ideas are new but the execution borders on rank amateurism. Not one of Hammer's better films. Still, it has style and the cast has charm. A region 1 is most welcome. This will be the first Hammer film to come out on Blu-ray in the USA. I hope HANDS OF THE RIPPER and TWINS OF EVIL won't be far behind.

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,852 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 19 2010 - 02:56 AM

Word on the street is that TWINS OF EVIL is tentatively planned for a January release.

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted September 19 2010 - 11:58 AM

The sooner these Hammer films get released the better.

MGM sat on this stuff waaay too long.

Kudos to Synapse!

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   soop.spoon

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted September 20 2010 - 12:03 AM

What an amazing cover!

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   AlanBrom

AlanBrom

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted September 20 2010 - 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by WadeM 

The sooner these Hammer films get released the better.

MGM sat on this stuff waaay too long.

Kudos to Synapse!

Yes, they sat on these titles way too long, and it's there loss! From what I understand, their video rights expired and Synapse was able to come in and rescue them without wasting any time. It's too bad most of the American International Pictures titles will stay buried with them (and I have no use for onlin streaming) until they decide to do something, if anything with them!

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted September 20 2010 - 12:04 PM

MGM was one of a couple of labels that frustrated me to no end during DVD's heyday. I just felt like they missed some golden opportunities.   I'm glad their rights expired and that Synapse had the brains to pick them up.

Synapse will do things right with these films, no doubt.

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,852 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 20 2010 - 12:23 PM

I heard recently that Synapse just acquired an old Anchor Bay title, though, at the moment, they're keeping mum on what it is. I understand, however, they will be announcing it in the very near future.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 903 posts

Posted September 20 2010 - 12:45 PM

Would be pretty neat if Synapse was able to release the Quatermass trilogy (1st from MGM, 2nd 'n' 3rd as the old AB titles).

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,852 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 20 2010 - 01:34 PM

Now, Ben, you're speakin' my language. I keep hoping, perhaps, he acquired one of those old Hammer titles, which may be the case, seeing as that he's got three of them already, plus that HAMMER HOUSE OF HORROR series. But, Don's mostly about sexploitation and giallo titles, and these Hammer acquisitions came out of left field. At least, for me they did. But a QUATERMASS trilogy, from Synapse? The mind reels, Ben! That would be so sweet. I'm still hoping I'm gonna visit AV Maniacs, or DVDDrive-In, or Fangoria, one day, like, real soon, and see the words Synapse and QUATERMASS AND THE PIT in the same frakin' sentence!

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,852 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted October 07 2010 - 09:41 AM

It's finally up for pre-order at AMAZON!

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   AlanP

AlanP

Supporting Actor

• 727 posts

Posted October 10 2010 - 01:57 AM

Are they not releasing this as a STANDARD DVD ??

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,852 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted October 10 2010 - 03:03 AM

Not alone. You'll only be able to get it as part of the Combo. Well, it is a win-win situation. I haven't gone blu yet, when I do, I'll already have the disc ready to play. Downside, it makes the combo a bit pricey.

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   AlanBrom

AlanBrom

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted October 10 2010 - 08:24 AM

It is absolutely a win-win situation! I don't have a blu player either, but I have no problem with Synapse releasing it like this, and I just pre-ordered it at Amazon, where it's like $21.99, not bad at all. Just think, if the video rights still belonged to MGM, we'd be getting nothing. I'm happy and I look forward to HANDS OF THE RIPPER and TWINS OF EVIL. I really think we need to support indepenent studios like this, especially when majors like MGM and Fox hoard their film libraries by not releasing them.

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,852 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted October 10 2010 - 08:53 AM

Don't get me wrong it still burns my ass when studios load the blu-ray with more extras than the standard, or put the flick out only on blu-ray, which pisses me off even more. But, of course, I'll stop all this complaining when I get my first blu-ray player. This is what happens when certain people in power decide a certain technology is better for society than another, and thus we get forced to get with the program or get left in the dust. Right now, my funds tell me, I have to remain in the dust for a while longer. On the other hand, at least, some studios understand the desire for some of us to stay with the perceived "outdated technology," or soon-to-be, and have created these DVD/Blu-Ray Combos.

Price is the only downside, but not so much since I have been ordering from DVD PACIFIC.

Yee-Ha!