What's new

MONTE WALSH (1970)? (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
Both DVD Empire and Amazon are listing MONTE WALSH (1970)--the Lee Marvin, not the Tom Selleck one--for release on 11/16........and from Paramount?????!!!!!. Is there any explanation for this? My guess is that they stumbled over an old crate of these in their warehouse from five or six years ago.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
WOW, hard to believe.... but I am hoping it is true as I have been hoping this would arrive on DVD one day.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
The DVD empire listing now seems to suggest it is just a reissue of the Tom Sellick version.

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator
Great news. Monte Walsh is one of the better films of its era, and along with Point Blank and Emperor of the North represents Lee Marvin's best work in a leading actor role.

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator
Now after reading Beth's post I see that it may be a false alarm. I hope whoever owns the rights to the classic Monte Walsh will release it soon. It's one of the best films of its era still MIA on DVD

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

Originally Posted by Jim Bur

Now after reading Beth's post I see that it may be a false alarm. I hope whoever owns the rights to the classic Monte Walsh will release it soon. It's one of the best films of its era still MIA on DVD

It was released theatrically by National General Pictures and produced by Cinema Center Films. NGP titles are owned by Warner Brothers, but all CCF titles, which was a division of CBS, is owned by CBS/Paramount. The release of the film on DVD would have to come from Paramount. Good Luck as CCF titles do not seem to be licensed out to 3rd party companies. Other titles the CCF own are Scrooge, Boys In The Band, Big Jake, A Man Called Horse, Something for Everyone, With Six You Get Eggroll, Adam at 6 AM, Prime Cut and about another two dozen titles. Half released from Paramount and the other still sitting on the shelves waiting for a DVD release.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The original MONTE WALSH is one of the most original and authentic westerns of its era. A serious drama in western garb. It may not have received much notice in 1970, but it is highly regarded today, and its scarcity has led to something of a cult following. A DVD or Blu-Ray release could introduce this fine film to a whole new audience.

Money is burning a hole in pocket for MONTE WALSH (1970).

Burning a hole, folks.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Amazing! I wasn't convinced, but now the cover art is up. It is just such a non-Paramount thing for Paramount to do!

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by Livius

It's really wonderful when totally unexpected releases like this pop up.
Going back 2 - 3 years it would happen every month.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Very good film . Nice to see a new Lee Marvin film coming out . But this film is from 1970 . Why is Paramount putting it out ? I thought they were farming out all their classic stuff . The only recent Paramount classic film i've bought on dvd was African Queen .Not counting the Olive or Legend titles . I hope this means they are going to throw a few more out on the market .

At least they have put some out through olive and Legend . Maybe there is still hope for Love With the Proper Stranger .

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Well, this is good news. The original MONTE WALSH is one of my most-wanted westerns.

The other two most-wanted westerns are CATTLE ANNIE & LITTLE BRITCHES (1979) starring Diane Lane and Burt Lancaster, and the factual docudrama THE BALLAD OF GREGORIO CORTEZ (1982) with Edward James Olmos delivering the best performance of his career, to date. I forget who released them and who owns them now.

Then there is BILLY TWO-HATS and THE SPIKES GANG ....

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

I have noticed over the years that little by little the Cinema Center Films product gets released before any Paramount product (except through Olive & Legend). Wonder if it is CBS pushing these titles and not Paramount. Also none of the CCF product has been sold to Olive or Legend. This title will bring the number of released DVD's up to 14 out of 30 titles that CCF released.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Livius, I bought the U.K. editions of BILLY TWO HATS (which was written by Alan Sharp, by the way) and THE SPIKES GANG.

Transfers are fine but the voices are too high.

PAL raises the pitch as it speeds up the action.

I want to hear Lee Marvin and Gregory Peck, etc. growl in their deep low manly voices.

Enjoyed your latest reviews.

Look at FORTY GUNS for another gun-barrel shot.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Cheers Richard. After I'd posted I then remembered that you have issues with speed-up and pitch. It must be annoying for anyone who can detect it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks