Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

MONTE WALSH (1970)?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted September 16 2010 - 08:33 AM

Both DVD Empire and Amazon are listing MONTE WALSH (1970)--the Lee Marvin, not the Tom Selleck one--for release on 11/16........and from Paramount?????!!!!!.  Is there any explanation for this?  My guess is that they stumbled over an old crate of these in their warehouse from five or six years ago.
Charles Hoyt

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted September 16 2010 - 08:42 AM

WOW, hard to believe.... but I am hoping it is true as I have been hoping this would arrive on DVD one day.

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   BethHarrison

BethHarrison

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted September 16 2010 - 10:44 AM

The DVD empire listing now seems to suggest it is just a reissue of the Tom Sellick version.

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   Jim Bur

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted September 16 2010 - 10:46 AM

Great news.  Monte Walsh is one of the better films of its era, and along with Point Blank and Emperor of the North represents Lee Marvin's best work in a leading actor role.

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   Jim Bur

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted September 16 2010 - 10:53 AM

Now after reading Beth's post I see that it may be a false alarm.  I hope whoever owns the rights to the classic Monte Walsh will release it soon.  It's one of the best films of its era still MIA on DVD

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,926 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 16 2010 - 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Bur 

Now after reading Beth's post I see that it may be a false alarm.  I hope whoever owns the rights to the classic Monte Walsh will release it soon.  It's one of the best films of its era still MIA on DVD

It was released theatrically by National General Pictures and produced by Cinema Center Films.  NGP titles are owned by Warner Brothers, but all CCF titles, which was a division of CBS, is owned by CBS/Paramount.  The release of the film on DVD would have to come from Paramount.  Good Luck as CCF titles do not seem to be licensed out to 3rd party companies.  Other titles the CCF own are Scrooge, Boys In The Band, Big Jake, A Man Called Horse, Something for Everyone, With Six You Get Eggroll, Adam at 6 AM, Prime Cut and about another two dozen titles.  Half released from Paramount and the other still sitting on the shelves waiting for a DVD release.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted September 18 2010 - 09:10 AM

The original MONTE WALSH is one of the most original and authentic westerns of its era. A serious drama in western garb. It may not have received much notice in 1970, but it is highly regarded today, and its scarcity has led to something of a cult following. A DVD  or Blu-Ray release could introduce this fine film to a whole new audience.   Money is burning a hole in pocket for MONTE WALSH (1970).   Burning a hole, folks.

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted September 18 2010 - 11:52 AM

The art work on DVDempire seems to imply this is the Lee Marvin one.

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   BethHarrison

BethHarrison

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted September 18 2010 - 11:04 PM

Amazing! I wasn't convinced, but now the cover art is up. It is just such a non-Paramount thing for Paramount to do!

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,470 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted September 18 2010 - 11:26 PM

I'm both gob-smacked and delighted. Though it would have made a fantastic Criterion BD
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   Livius

Livius

Second Unit

• 407 posts

Posted September 18 2010 - 11:36 PM

It's really wonderful when totally unexpected releases like this pop up.
Riding the High Country - My Movie Blog

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   BethHarrison

BethHarrison

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted September 19 2010 - 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Livius 

It's really wonderful when totally unexpected releases like this pop up.

Going back 2 - 3 years it would happen every month.

#13 of 24 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,622 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 19 2010 - 12:32 AM

It looks like its the Lee Marvin version.

http://www.amazon.co...84899390&sr=1-2

http://www.dvdempire...tab=0#topoftabs

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#14 of 24 OFFLINE   borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 869 posts

Posted September 19 2010 - 02:54 AM

Very good film . Nice to see a new Lee Marvin film coming out . But this film is from 1970 . Why is Paramount putting it out ? I thought they were farming out all their classic stuff . The only recent Paramount classic film i've bought on dvd was African Queen .Not counting the Olive or Legend titles .  I hope this means they are  going to throw a few more out on the market .   At least they have put some out through olive and Legend . Maybe there is still hope for Love With the Proper Stranger .

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted September 19 2010 - 04:05 AM

Well, this is good news. The original MONTE WALSH is one of my most-wanted westerns.   The other two most-wanted westerns are CATTLE ANNIE & LITTLE BRITCHES (1979) starring Diane Lane and Burt Lancaster, and the factual docudrama THE BALLAD OF GREGORIO CORTEZ (1982) with Edward James Olmos delivering the best performance of his career, to date. I forget who released them and who owns them now.   Then there is BILLY TWO-HATS and THE SPIKES GANG ....

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,926 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 19 2010 - 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 

It looks like its the Lee Marvin version.

http://www.amazon.co...84899390&sr=1-2

http://www.dvdempire...tab=0#topoftabs

I have noticed over the years that little by little the Cinema Center Films product gets released before any Paramount product (except through Olive & Legend).  Wonder if it is CBS pushing these titles and not Paramount.  Also none of the CCF product has been sold to Olive or Legend.  This title will bring the number of released DVD's up to 14 out of 30 titles that CCF released.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted September 19 2010 - 04:41 AM

I've seen a packshot and there's a CBS logo on the spine.
Recently bought: Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Coll., The Mountain, Rope of Sand, Taxi Driver (BD), Heroes of Telemark, Night of the Generals
Pre-Order: Knock on Any Door, The Outlaw Josey Wales (BD), The Man Who Would Be King (BD), Night Flight, The Hustler (BD)...
My Collection

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   Livius

Livius

Second Unit

• 407 posts

Posted September 19 2010 - 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Richard--W 

Then there is BILLY TWO-HATS and THE SPIKES GANG ....

You can get good copies of both of those in the UK.

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted September 19 2010 - 09:43 AM

Livius, I bought the U.K. editions of BILLY TWO HATS (which was written by Alan Sharp, by the way) and THE SPIKES GANG.   Transfers are fine but the voices are too high. PAL raises the pitch as it speeds up the action. I want to hear Lee Marvin and Gregory Peck, etc. growl in their deep low manly voices.   Enjoyed your latest reviews. Look at FORTY GUNS for another gun-barrel shot.

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   Livius

Livius

Second Unit

• 407 posts

Posted September 19 2010 - 10:56 AM

Cheers Richard. After I'd posted I then remembered that you have issues with speed-up and pitch. It must be annoying for anyone who can detect it.