Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

BVHE Press Release: Toy Story 3 (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,216 posts

Posted September 13 2010 - 10:06 AM

THE WORLD’S BIGGEST ANIMATED
RELEASE OF ALL TIME COMES HOME!

THE BIGGEST TOY STORY YET JUST GOT BIGGER WITH
BLU-RAY™ COMBO PACK OFFERING THREE WAYS TO ENJOY!

DISNEY●PIXAR’S 
Toy Story 3

Buzz and Woody - Coming To Blu-ray™ Hi-Def and DVD - November 2, 2010

BURBANK, Calif., September 2010 – They’re back! Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios present the critically-acclaimed, global box office smash Toy Story 3an exciting, heart-warming story filled with humor, adventure and surprises, that reunites America’s favorite animated toys, Buzz and Woody, and introduces a whole new set of favorites to audiences around the globe.  The world’s #1 animated film in box office history and The Walt Disney Company’s second biggest film of all time, Toy Story 3 will be released on Blu-ray and DVD November 2 by Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment. 

Families won’t want to miss adding the Blu-ray Combo Pack, 2 Disc Blu-ray or the DVD edition of Toy Story 3 to their home movie collections. Fans of all ages who have come to love and cherish these unique characters, can explore them in a whole new way as the DisneyPixar team provides a more in-depth look into Pixar Animation Studios and the creation of its characters with hours of exclusive bonus features on the Blu-ray Disc version of the film including filmmaker commentary with Director Lee Unkrich and Producer Darla K. Anderson, amusing views of life at Pixar, analysis of favorite scenes, the Toy Story Trivia Dash game, and much, much more!

Toy Story 3 marks Pixar veteran Lee Unkrich’s feature directorial debut and the return of Pixar’s favorite composer Randy Newman, with the addition of Academy Award®-winner Michael Arndt’s (Little Miss Sunshine) compelling original screenplay. Tom Hanks (Angels & Demons), Tim Allen (The Santa Clause), Joan Cusack (Confessions of a Shopaholic), John Ratzenberger (Up) and Don Rickles (Toy Story 2) reprise their roles as the voices of the iconic characters Woody, Buzz, Jessie, Hamm and Mr. Potato Head, respectively, and are joined by new characters voiced by Michael Keaton (Herbie Fully Loaded) as Barbie's romantic foil Ken, Timothy Dalton (Hot Fuzz) as the thespian hedgehog Mr. Pricklepants, and Ned Beatty (Rudy) as the cuddly Lots-o'-Huggin' Bear, among many others, as the toys face a new adventure as Andy prepares to go off to college. 

Suggested retail prices for Toy Story 3 are $45.99 (US)/$52.99 (Canada) for the 4-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy), $39.99 (US)/$47.99 (Canada) for the 2-Disc Blu-ray, and $29.99 (US)/$35.99 (Canada) for the Single Disc DVD.

Also available on November 2 is an exciting Ultimate Toy Box 3-Movie Collection that contains all three TOY STORY releases on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital copy. Priced at $100.00 (US)/$115 (Canada), this release contains:

·       Toy Story – 1 Disc DVD; 1 Disc Blu-ray; 1 Disc Digital Copy

·       Toy Story 2 – 1 Disc DVD; 1 Disc Blu-ray; 1 Disc Digital Copy

·       Toy Story 3 – 1 Disc DVD; 2 Disc Blu-ray; 1 Disc Digital Copy

TOY STORY 3 - Bonus Features:

DVD :

·      Day & Night – The innovative and entertaining short from the imagination of Pixar artist and Director Teddy Newton.

·      Toys! – A closer look at all of Toy Story 3’s beloved toys from updating the classic characters to the creation of the Sunnyside Daycare and Bonnie’s Room toys.

·      Buzz Lightyear Mission Logs: The Science of Adventure – Produced in conjunction with NASA, this hybrid animation documentary of Buzz’s visit to the International Space Station focuses on research in zero gravity and Buzz’s triumphant return to Earth. 

·      Paths to Pixar: Editorial – Pixar editors, past and future share anecdotes about their careers.

·      The Gang’s All Here – A touching look at the returning voice talent for Toy Story 3 and an introduction to the voices of the new characters.  

·      A Toy’s Eye View: Creating A Whole New Land – A sneak peek at the new Toy Story-themed playland at Hong Kong Disneyland.

·      Studio Stories – A series of amusing animated anecdotes about life at Pixar.

Ø  “Where’s Gordon?” – An animator finds a hidden room at Pixar.

Ø  “Cereal Bar” – The majestic and expansive Pixar cereal bar is explored.

Ø  “Clean Start” – The Toy Story 3 animators shave their heads to mark the start of the film.

BLU-RAY COMBO PACK:   Everything on the DVD plus…

·      Toy Story Trivia Dash – This cool game challenges you to sprint to the finish with Woody, Buzz, Jessie and Rex as you quickly answer questions about all three Toy Story movies.

·      Cine-Explore – Commentary by Director Lee Unkrich and Producer Darla K. Anderson.

·      Beyond the Toybox: An Alternative Commentary Track Featuring Leads from Story, Tech, Art and Animation – Commentary by Story Supervisor Jason Katz, Supervising Technical Director Guido Quaroni, Production Designer Bob Pauley and Supervising Animators Bobby Podesta and Michael Venturini.  

·      Beginnings: Setting A Story In Motion – Screenwriter Michael Arndt analyzes successful opening scenes from Toy Story, Finding Nemo and The Incredibles.

·      Bonnie’s Playtime: A Story Roundtable – A roundtable discussion with Director Lee Unkrich and the story artists who brought the “Bonnie’s Playtime” scene to life.  

·      Roundin’ Up A Western Opening – The development of the movie’s exciting opening scene.

·      Life Of A Shot – Toy Story 3 artists and technicians describe their contributions to a few of the shots in the film’s “Western Opening.”

·      Goodbye Andy – An exploration of character design, acting and animation in the scene “Andy’s Goodbye.”

·      Accidental Toymakers – By creating the Toy Story characters, the Pixar filmmakers found themselves in the unlikely role of toy designers. Meet the toy company that took a chance on manufacturing the now iconic toys and learn of their incredible success that began with a modest number of Woody and Buzz Lightyear toys 15 years ago.

·      Making of Day & Night – The story behind the unique 2D/3D blended short.

Disc Specifications:

About the Film:

Toy Story 3 welcomes Woody (voice of Tom Hanks), Buzz (voice of Tim Allen) and the whole gang back as Andy prepares to depart for college and his loyal toys find themselves in… day care!  These untamed tots with their sticky little fingers do not play nice, so it’s all for one and one for all as plans for the great escape get underway. More than a few new faces—some plastic, some plush—join the adventure, including iconic swinging bachelor and Barbie’s counterpart Ken (voice of Michael Keaton), a thespian hedgehog named Mr. Pricklepants (voice of Timothy Dalton) and a pink, strawberry-scented teddy bear called Lots-o’-Huggin’ Bear (voice of Ned Beatty).  Directed by Lee Unkrich (co-director of Toy Story 2 and Finding Nemo), produced by Pixar veteran Darla K. Anderson (CarsMonsters, Inc.) and written by Academy Award®-winning screenwriter Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine), Toy Story 3 is a comical new adventure!

About Disney Combo Packs: 

To provide consumers with unprecedented quality, value and portability of their favorite Disney classics, in 2008 WDSHE pioneered the Combo Pack – a Blu-ray Disc plus a DVD and in some cases a Digital Copy of the movie in a single package. Current 2010 Disney titles available as Combo Packs include Alice in Wonderland, Ponyo, Toy Story, Toy Story 2 and Princess and the Frog.

About The Walt Disney Studios:

For more than 85 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company (DIS: NYSE) was built. Today, the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under four banners: Walt Disney Pictures, which includes Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Touchstone Pictures and Marvel. Through the Home Entertainment division, innovative distribution methods provide access to creative content across multiple platforms. Original music and motion picture soundtracks are produced under Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records, while Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Broadway theatrical productions, Disney on Ice and Disney LIVE!.  For more information, please visit www.disney.com <http://www.disney.com.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,525 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted September 13 2010 - 10:25 AM

I have the combo pack on order from Amazon.  I wonder when Disney will embrace Blu-ray 3D, since all three of these movies were released in the format.

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,324 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 14 2010 - 03:36 AM

Glad I have blu-ray.  I notice there's no commentary for the DVD.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,226 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted September 14 2010 - 03:56 AM

With each new release, Disney finds new and exciting ways to piss on their DVD customer base through the withholding of more and more features, while continuing to annoy their Blu-ray base with bloated packages full of crap discs they don't want and will never use.

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,728 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 14 2010 - 04:26 AM

Some people here may be surprised to learn that I really like the Toy Story films.  Posted Image

I guess Disney must've been determined to "pile on" to what already is shaping up to be a very busy 4th quarter of 2010 for me by way of new releases.  I'm not complaining one bit!  Posted Image

At least, Charles, there's no content included in the UTB that's not included in the various Combo Pack releases of each film.  That was a huge concern of mine.

While I hear some of your complaints about discrepancies between the SD & BD releases, this is one of those titles for me where they can't give me enough (and if I wasn't already Blu...this would be the title that would put me there).

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,163 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 14 2010 - 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Chas in CT 

With each new release, Disney finds new and exciting ways to piss on their DVD customer base through the withholding of more and more features, while continuing to annoy their Blu-ray base with bloated packages full of crap discs they don't want and will never use.

I agree that the DVD customers are getting burned but they are offering a two disc Blu-ray and the two disc Blu-ray/DVD/digital copy version so how does the Blu-ray customer suffer?

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted September 14 2010 - 04:48 AM

I already own Toy Story and Toy Story 2, so the special gift set won't come in my house. I do have to say, while the 10-disc box set sounds impressive, when the majority of those are made up of digital copies and DVDs it seems a bit misleading. I had hoped that Disney would put together a package similar to the Ultimate Toy Box DVD set, which had many bonus features the separate releases didn't have. Anyway, the one with the least amount of discs will be mine, I have absolutely no need for DVD versions, or digital copies.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,226 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted September 14 2010 - 05:42 AM

Mike and Travis, good points there, thanks.  It'll be the 2-disc BLU for me, then.

And yes, the number of discs touted is a misleading tactic these days.

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 14 2010 - 06:13 AM

I'm glad they didn't put anything new or exclusive in the Toy Box set.  It's way too soon after the initial BD release of the first two films.

A 3-disc pack with a DVD but no digital "coaster" copy would be nice, but it's most likely the 2-disc BD for us.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,790 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 14 2010 - 06:41 AM

No brainer on this for me, too.  Now just to decide which version.  I'm hoping Toys R Us or another retailer has an awesome deal just like when Toy Story 1 and 2 came out earlier this year.  Both movies, plus Princess and the Frog, for $30, IIRC.

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 15 2010 - 08:24 AM

Not to mention two ticket vouchers for Toy Story 3!  That was probably the best Blu deal yet.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,216 posts

Posted October 06 2010 - 01:43 AM

Perhaps now this matters more to someone like me

than it does to other people in this forum.

I am sorely disappointed that Disney did not put out

a 3D version of this film on Blu-ray.

We are at a critical point in time where 3D hardware

is being pushed on consumers.  Some studios (Sony

and Universal) have readily embraced the format and

are releasing 3D titles to entice purchases.  Why a

studio like Disney is sitting on the sidelines with a
huge title like this is beyond me.

They could really help push 3D hardware sales by

introducing a 3D combo pack.

Now I am sitting here pondering on whether to cancel

my initial preorder and hope that Disney does the right

thing.

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,017 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted October 06 2010 - 02:06 AM

I may be just the reverse, Ron.   I saw both in the theater, and this film was so much better in 2D, I'm hopeful they never release the 3D version.  It was obvious that Pixar had originally done this in 2D, 3D was easily worked in later, but it added nothing to the film, and worse then that, it significantly muted the fantastically rich color of the film. 

I think for those that saw it both ways, the 2D rendition was so much more vibrant, bright.. the colors were deep, the colors stood out and called attention to their characters.

For most of us, 3D in the home is years away.   A 3D BD so far has meant a much higher compression rate on the disc, with 2D as an afterthought, or a release all to it's own.   If Disney wants to later release a 3D BD, that's fine, but please, don't do anything to pollute or change a brilliant 2D release, let me have that at the highest bitrate possible in the way I want to remember the film.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,216 posts

Posted October 06 2010 - 02:15 AM

Matt,

I completely understand where you are coming from.

It's all about choice.

Slowly but surely, consumers are being offered multiple

packages of new films to Blu-ray that suit their needs.

Despicable Me is the perfect example.  You have a

Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/DVD combo pack.  Then you have

a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack.  Finally a DVD release.

Disney could have done the same here.

I think in all cases, as you pointed out, it is important

that there always be a 2D version available with the 3D.

I wholeheartedly agree that there should be no "pollution"

of the 2D release.

However, I do feel that Disney could have helped boost

3D hardware sales by making one of the biggest movies

of the year available in 3D.

BTW, had no idea that Pixar designed this film in 3D

as an afterthought.  

Ronald J Epstein

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted October 06 2010 - 02:28 AM

I honestly can't see 3D going anywhere, anytime soon. Considering that Blu-ray itself still has a long way to get into the bulk of the consumer households pushing 3D is a bit of a waste of money and energy at this point. Besides, we all know how these studios work, this set will be a far cry from the last. We'll see many more Toy Story releases in years to come, one with 3D I'm sure. No studio will put all the features into one set and be done with it.

Now, as for the film, saw it in the theater, and once was enough. This one is not where near on the same level as the previous two. They went too serious with this one and took all the fun out, what made the other two films so great.

I'll pass.

You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,216 posts

Posted October 06 2010 - 02:48 AM

Appreciate the responses.  It wasn't my intent to

start a debate on this issue.  I do see many sides of

where we presently are with the 3D format.

Let me give you additional perspective.

I just came from a trade show where I was amazed

to find all the major manufacturers showing off 3D
plasmas, LED and projection.  It is very apparent
that in the last year every major manufacturer has

jumped to incorporate 3D in their new offerings.

Panasonic is having a very hard time keeping
their 3D displays in stock.  It is my understanding

that they sold out in their initial plasma offerings.

I can't speak for the other manufacturers but trust

me, everybody was pushing and talking about 3D.

Samsung has started a price war which I imagine

Panasonic will soon follow suit.  Flagship 3D displays

from Samsung and LG don't seem to be that much

more expensive than their 2D counterparts.  For instance

LG is selling their THX 3D 50" display for about $1800

and their 60" display for $2300.

I expect prices to continue to fall over the next year.

While not everyone is looking to upgrade to 3D it

sure would have helped if all the studios came out of

the gate showing a will to support the format.

I do agree that Disney is probably waiting till next

year to introduce a 3D Blu-ray of Toy Story.

You also need to understand that I am a very

active supporter of 3D in the homes.  I have been

closely following the format since it was a mere

prototype three years ago.  I think it is very well

perfected, highly enhances the film experience,

and as someone who is  gunning for rapid adoption

of 3D to consumers you can surely understand why

I am urging studios to help supplement the available

software choices this holiday season.

Ronald J Epstein

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted October 06 2010 - 05:09 AM

Seem like a decent enough price for the TV's but you have to add in the cost of a player, software and glasses. How much does that add to the price tag? I see your point with the cost of the sets but the accessories have to come into play for people to buy in.

Studios were slow enough to adopt Blu-ray, can't see 3D films going any faster, most likely it'll be much slower.

I for one can live without 3D. I got burned being and early adopter with the HD format and HD-DVD dying. So, it will be a very long time before I invest into 3D. No more early adoption in this hobby for myself.

...and what's the trick to be able to comment below the quote box? All I can do is get the cursor to type inside the quote box or above it.

Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein 

For instance LG is selling their THX 3D 50" display for about $1800

and their 60" display for $2300.

While not everyone is looking to upgrade to 3D it

sure would have helped if all the studios came out of

the gate showing a will to support the format.

You also need to understand that I am a very

active supporter of 3D in the homes.  I have been

closely following the format since it was a mere

prototype three years ago.  I think it is very well

perfected, highly enhances the film experience,

and as someone who is  gunning for rapid adoption

of 3D to consumers you can surely understand why

I am urging studios to help supplement the available

software choices this holiday season.

You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,216 posts

Posted October 06 2010 - 05:19 AM

Ron,

We are working on getting the quote function fixed.

What you need to do now is hit the QUOTE button first

then lay the text on top of it.

And because there are other complications associated

with the quote the way it is set up, you might want to
lay down your response first then jump back up to do
the quote as instructed above.

....it's a mess.  Trust me, we are fighting.

Anyway, good points brought up in this thread all around.

Ronald J Epstein

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,017 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted October 06 2010 - 05:33 AM

Another option is to hit "Source" after you quote, go to the bottom, put a few letters of gibberish, then flip back, and walla!  You can now type again where you want.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 06 2010 - 06:24 AM

FWIW, I thought Toy Story 3 looked much better in 3D than How to Train Your Dragon did (I loved both films).  I'm very excited to see the latter in 2D at home but haven't really thought about the former much in those terms (I'm buying it but haven't been anticipating it in 2D the same way).