Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

SPHE Press Release: Sony Pictures Home Entertainment Launches "Screen Classics By Request"

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 of 54 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,723 posts

Posted September 13 2010 - 01:04 AM

SONY PICTURES HOME ENTERTAINMENT LAUNCHES “SCREEN CLASSICS BY REQUEST”

Movies-on-Demand Service Featuring Never-Before-Released Deep Catalog from the Columbia Pictures Archive Debuts September 13th

www.Columbia-Classics.com

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (September 13th, 2010) – Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) opens the Columbia vault on September 13th offering a selection of films never before released on DVD with the launch of “Screen Classics by Request.”  Consumers will now be able to purchase authentic, high-quality DVDs of more than 100 classic movie titles covering a 75 year span from the Columbia Film Library.  Additional titles will be made available monthly through the new “Screen Classics by Request” Web site (www.Columbia-Classics.com) and will retail at $19.94 SLP, plus shipping.

To order movies, consumers visit www.Columbia-Classics.com, make their selection, and upon purchase, a state-of-the-art manufacturing on demand (MOD) system creates a made-to-order DVD showcased with original theatrical art when available.

Among the titles initially available will be The Pumpkin Eater (1964) with Anne Bancroft and Peter Finch, Footsteps in the Fog (1955) starring Stewart Granger and Jean Simmons, Sam Wanamaker’s The Executioner (1970) with George Peppard, The Juggler (1953) starring Kirk Douglas, the Sherlock Holmes mystery A Study in Terror (1965), I Never Sang For My Father (1970) with Melvyn Douglas and Gene Hackman, Genghis Kahn (1965) with Omar Sharif, and Les Voleurs (Thieves, 1996) with Catherine Deneuve.

“The launch of Screen Classics By Request is an important step in the evolution of our multiplatform distribution strategy,” said John Calkins, SPHE’s Executive Vice President of Global Digital and Commercial Innovation.  “We look forward to making the rich history of the Columbia archive available in new ways through a variety of retail and distribution partners that best serve the appetite of the discerning movie enthusiast.”

Consumers can also visit the www.Columbia-Classics.com Web site for “first looks” at upcoming Blu-ray and DVD releases from the studio, to view “behind the scenes” still photography from some of the initial film productions, and to request their favorite films for release.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 54 OFFLINE   kingfish

kingfish

Screenwriter

• 1,062 posts

Posted September 13 2010 - 03:47 AM

I for one am very happy.

#3 of 54 OFFLINE   ChuckWL

ChuckWL

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted September 13 2010 - 05:02 AM

This is a welcome announcement!

#4 of 54 OFFLINE   PaulaJ

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor

• 587 posts

Posted September 13 2010 - 07:00 AM

Yay!  The question still remaining is... will the widescreen films on Sony's new MOD DVDs be enhanced for widescreen televisions??   The video clips on the website for the widescreen movies are squeezed, so I'm thinking they will be anamorphic and putting one's widescreen television in the "full" mode will unsqueeze the image.  
PaulaJ

#5 of 54 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,085 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 13 2010 - 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by PaulaJ 

Yay!  The question still remaining is... will the widescreen films on Sony's new MOD DVDs be enhanced for widescreen televisions??

The video clips on the website for the widescreen movies are squeezed, so I'm thinking they will be anamorphic and putting one's widescreen television in the "full" mode will unsqueeze the image.

In another thread about the Sony requests Mr. Epstein said that he had information that they would be anamorphic.  This bit of news relieved me somewhat, since both Universal and MGM released non-anamorphic widescreen through Amazon.  Now if Sony would only bundle and have free shipping on orders a certain amount, I would be very happy.

I have already place an order for four titles and look forward to receiving them.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#6 of 54 OFFLINE   BethHarrison

BethHarrison

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted September 13 2010 - 12:09 PM

Great. No international postage. I guess that's to be expected these days.

#7 of 54 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,085 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 13 2010 - 01:10 PM

Lou Lumenick in the New York Post, who always seem to be writing about the Warner titles, wrote an quick article about the Sony MOD program and ended it with stating that Fox is planning on starting a similar program at the first of next year.  I do hope this is the case.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#8 of 54 OFFLINE   MLamarre

MLamarre

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted September 13 2010 - 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by BethHarrison 

Great. No international postage. I guess that's to be expected these days.

Deep Discount ships worldwide and is cheaper.

#9 of 54 OFFLINE   BethHarrison

BethHarrison

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted September 13 2010 - 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by MLamarre 

Deep Discount ships worldwide and is cheaper.

I won't order from them because they have lost three of my parcels. I then had to complain and wait a month to get refunds.

#10 of 54 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,153 posts

Posted September 13 2010 - 05:24 PM

[quote]Originally Posted by BethHarrison [url=/forum/thread/303864/sphe-press-release-sony-pictures-home-entertainment-launches-screen-classics-by-request#post_3728884]

#11 of 54 OFFLINE   Bill:N

Bill:N

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted September 14 2010 - 01:42 AM

I've also had some bad experiences with Deep Discount. The worst case is a wrong item shipped to me six months ago. They have charged me twice, for the original wrong item and replacement, as well as shipping charges for each. Along with shipping costs for returning the original, this has been an expensive purchase, as they have yet to reimburse me despite several requsts. I now deal with Movies Unlimited and have had  no problems.

#12 of 54 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,085 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 14 2010 - 02:02 AM

Deep Discount - No real problems except taking a very long time to receive product, in a couple of cases 3 weeks.  Went back to Amazon and have been very happy.  Although I have put my toes back into the water to see what service I get now and oredered the four Jungle Jim titles from them.  Now we will see what happens.

#13 of 54 OFFLINE   CULTMAN1

CULTMAN1

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted September 16 2010 - 09:39 PM

does anyone have an address of the Sony Columbia classics fulfillment centre.that is where are they shipped from? and phone number? I need it for my US shippers in NY who will export the titles to me to the UK. PS are Movies Unlmited definately stocking these titles?

#14 of 54 OFFLINE   britneys

britneys

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted September 16 2010 - 11:52 PM

Footsteps in the Fog (1955) starring Stewart Granger and Jean Simmons, louis vuitton handbags Sam Wanamaker’s The Executioner (1970) with George Peppard, The Juggler (1953) starring Kirk Douglas, the Sherlock Holmes mystery A Study in Terror (1965), I Never Sang For My Father (1970) with Melvyn Douglas and Gene Hackman, Genghis Kahn (1965) with Omar Sharif, and Les Voleurs (Thieves, 1996) with Catherine

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#15 of 54 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,153 posts

Posted September 17 2010 - 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by CULTMAN1 
]

PS are Movies Unlmited definately stocking these titles?

Yep, they are on the website. Just search by title.

#16 of 54 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,085 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 17 2010 - 01:14 PM

I received Storm Center, Crash Landing, A Study In Terror and New Orleans Uncensored.  All transfers were in very good shape, but the sound was a little hard.  The transfer for A Study In Terror was outstanding and you can certainly tell Sony had bigger plans for it.  The colors were distinct and rich.  Crash Landing and Storm Center had trailers as extras, the other titles did not.  I am very happy with the product and will dip into the waters again next month.

I ordered on September 8th,  The packing slip says the order was filled on the 14th and I got it today.  Not bad for the first time.

Both Columbia Classics and Warner Archives are shipped from Itasca, IL 60143.  The street address for Columbia is 1310 West Thorndale Ave and Warner's is 900 N. Rohl Wing Road. I guess Itasca, IL is the fulfillment capital of the world.

#17 of 54 OFFLINE   CULTMAN1

CULTMAN1

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted September 18 2010 - 05:59 AM

thsnk you

Does the COLUMBIA CLASSICS have an actual name on the box? For Warners my boxes come with DC on the box followed by the fulfillment factory address.which is very confusing. I wonder what DC stands for,,,, The TSA authorities in the US need this info as I am exporting these DVDs to the UK. Anyone have phone numbers for Columbia fullfilment? Thanks to you all

#18 of 54 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,085 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 18 2010 - 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by CULTMAN1 

thsnk you

Does the COLUMBIA CLASSICS have an actual name on the box? For Warners my boxes come with DC on the box followed by the fulfillment factory address.which is very confusing. I wonder what DC stands for,,,, The TSA authorities in the US need this info as I am exporting these DVDs to the UK. Anyone have phone numbers for Columbia fullfilment? Thanks to you all

It just says Columbia Classics.

#19 of 54 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,876 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 18 2010 - 06:41 AM

This may be an insanely stupid question but I noticed CULTMAN1's "real name" is Bruce Campbell, is that a coincidence, or am I addressing THE Bruce Campbell of EVIL DEAD fame?

#20 of 54 OFFLINE   Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington

Supporting Actor

• 888 posts

Posted September 18 2010 - 07:49 AM

Took a quick glance at THE LOVE MACHINE and DOCTORS' WIVES. Both anamorphic and progressive, but with surprisingly low bit rates. Each title has an extra gig of space on the discs (they are around 3.23 GB each and aren't exactly 70 minute films). I noticed a bit of macroblocking in solid backgrounds, but I haven't watched the films from beginning to end yet. The packaging is very similar to Warner Archive, down to how the titles are on the discs themselves. No menus or trailers on my discs.   So far, I'm pleased. I'll buy more when there are some discounts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users