Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

B&H Photo NYC: Oh What Fun!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,501 posts

Posted September 12 2010 - 09:10 AM

So, I went into New York City today to meet with HTF Moderator Cees and his wife.  Went in a little earlier than I needed to so that I could visit the legendary B&H Photo that is just a block's walk away from NY Penn Station.   I have to tell you, for years I was a dedicated fan of J&R Music downtown.  That's where I bought all my video camcorders and electronics.  Never gave a second thought to B&H Photo because I figured all they sold was photography gear, and up until recently, I had no sincere interest in the hobby.   So, I'm walking up the street towards the store just minutes before its opening this Sunday morning.  I am following a huge group of hasidic Jews whom I figure must be going to the Synagogue (although it's Sunday). Come to find, they all slipped into the back employee door of B&H Photo.   I turn the corner to the front entrance of the store to find this HUGE line of people wrapped around the entire length of the store and around the corner.  "What the hell is going on here?!" I thought.  Perhaps a celebrity appearance?  I thought, "No way am I getting in this store this morning."  I walked to the back of the line to find out that this is THE LINE to get into the store.  Seems the store was closed for the past few days due to the Jewish holidays and that is the reason why so many people showed up on its first day of opening.   Well, once the doors opened, the line moved swiftly.  I was inside within 5 minutes.     What a wonderland B&H Photo is.  It's like walking into Disneyland.  The store is a block long, two floors high. Signs everywhere directing you to a multitude of different departments ranging from Prosumer to Consumer. Above you are multitudes of tracks that carry tubs of electronic equipment from the warehouse to the floor where they are being ordered.   First thing I did was look at camera bags.  I will talk about that a bit more in the appropriate thread within this area.   I also had just bought a new Sony Camcorder (CX550V) that is being shipped to me.  I went over to the video camera department to look at it.   I was very concerned about AVCHD and whether it would play nice with iMovie on a Mac.  I brought along a flash card and the guy behind the camera was more than happy to let me put my card in the camera and shoot footage of the store.  Thought that within itself was a great shopping experience.  Not too many stores would have allowed me to play with their cameras like that.   I didn't end up buying anything because I could essentially have what I wanted shipped to me next day for free without having to pay sales tax.  In the meantime, I had the opportunity to look at a vast array of different products that I had only seen in photos on the Internet.   If you are ever in NYC do yourself a favor and visit this store. I was just in awe of the selection of products.  I also admire the Jewish staff who were EXTREMELY friendly (everybody said "Good Morning") and seem to take pride in what they do.   Look forward to coming back to the store again.  This will be my new hangout when in town.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 10 ONLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,700 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted September 12 2010 - 01:27 PM

It's the promised land =)

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#3 of 10 ONLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,876 posts

Posted September 12 2010 - 02:03 PM

Told you that you had to make a trip there, Ron (I think in the bags thread). It's like Disneyland and Willy Wonka's Factory all rolled into one for photographers!

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,319 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted September 12 2010 - 04:00 PM

Great store, AND their mail-order service is fantastic.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,815 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 12 2010 - 04:11 PM

It does sound like fun!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,319 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted September 12 2010 - 04:14 PM

Forgot to say prices are generally good, too.  It pays to check there before ordering something.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   bandhphoto

bandhphoto

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted September 13 2010 - 08:09 AM

Thanks for your very kind words. This is very gratifying and greatly appreciated.   Henry Posner B&H Photo-Video

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,723 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 13 2010 - 06:08 PM

Glad to hear the in-person experience is as good as online.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,717 posts

Posted October 03 2010 - 12:44 PM

Hmm.

I can add some relevant (to this specific subforum) proof to a part of Ron's story.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cees

#10 of 10 ONLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,700 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted October 03 2010 - 01:32 PM

Henry was owning social media BEFORE it was a career choice.  Welcome to HTF Mr. Posner! Sam

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt