What's new

Anyone up for the Fright Night remake? (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1438176/

Coming October 7, 2011.

I'll be honest, I usually loathe remakes of any film I love and Fright Night is a film I really love. I'm looking forward to this. The cast is awesome, and a screenplay by Marti Noxon who wrote some very good Buffy The Vampire Slayer episodes. I think this may be a really decent movie.

Another plus is that most studios re-release the original films of their newer counterpart in special editions on dvd, and Blu-Ray. So I'm anticipating that as well.

Good time to be a Fright Night fan!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm done done done with the remakes. Enough already! Like "Let The Right One In", this film is a prime example of something that does NOT need to be revisited. Count me out. They won't be getting any of my hard-earned money.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
No, I'm actually DOWN about a needless FRIGHT NIGHT remake. I won't be seeing it, and I look forward to skipping it. The 1985 version still holds up and is way "modern enough" in feel to be left alone.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Agreed. The clothing, hair styles and look of FRIGHT NIGHT are so modern that I'm certain they could just put it back into theaters and today's crowds would think it was a new movie. It's not like this is old like PIRANHA.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Agreed. The clothing, hair styles and look of FRIGHT NIGHT are so modern that I'm certain they could just put it back into theaters and today's crowds would think it was a new movie. It's not like this is old like PIRANHA.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Well, maybe the 1995 remake of PIRANHA would seem new enough for them.

The SFX technique of FRIGHT NIGHT (1985) holds up well today. I guess most modern audiences wouldn't say the same for the effects in the '70s version of PIRANHA. (Not that new FX are a sole reason to remake an older movie, but at least PIRANHA had the 3D gimmick). Either way, the 2010 remake flopped. I thought supposedly "everyone wants to go see remakes which is why they keep making them"?

We didn't need two more versions of PIRANHA, but I did go to see the current one for the 3D factor, and since I am not a big fan of the '70s one and so have no devotion to it. I'll tell you one thing - after seeing the 2010 version, I can easily grow to love the first (what a suprise)!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I guess the main thing for me is the trailer. My trailer accuracy is usually spot on. If the trailer looks really good to me then I usually enjoy the film.

When the trailer for Fright Night is released, I will decide if I'm going to see the film.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I also have had enough of this remake mania that has swept through Hollywood in the last 6 years or so, it's so rampant that they don't even disagree that it's only because they are afraid of risking money on "untested material", it almost seems as if they are proud of their cowardice and lack of talent.

Yeah yeah, I know all too well that as an industry Hollywood has always cannibalized itself but it really has gotten out of control lately......I mean they are remaking Straw Dogs for god's sake..........STRAW DOGS MAN! And it's being set in the southern states of America rather than England, and David is a scriptwriter instead of a mathematician in this........WHY? What is the damn point of this? The only reason I can come up with, since it's not as if the original has a lot of name recognition to justify any hopes of franchise cash grabbing, is that the director thinks he can do a better job than Sam Peckinpah, uh huh, good luck there pal.

Ugh........

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I personally love STRAW DOGS and consider it a masterpiece but there are many, many critics who hated it and bashed the hell out of it when released as well as today.

However, I'd say 98% of movie fans today would hit the eject button around the three-minute mark. My prediction on a wide release of STRAW DOGS $24 million.

These movies aren't being made for those of you in this thread. They're being made for the people who have time and money to blow on weekends. They are the ones who count and they are the ones these movies are made for. If Kevin, Joe or I go then that's great. Extra money. If not, the studio doesn't give a shit because they still have their large opening weekend while we sit at home watching our newly released DVD or Blu-ray of the original (which will happen now) that puts even more money into their pockets.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott

These movies aren't being made for those of you in this thread. They're being made for the people who have time and money to blow on weekends.

Yep, if remakes weren't making money, they'd stop making them. The general public either doesn't care or doesn't know and they pay their $10 and that's all that matters since it's a business.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Not even a little bit.

Fright Night among my favorite films, great FX, amazing writing and brilliant performances combine to make one of the genre's timeless classics.

No desire to see a remake.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Kevin M

I also have had enough of this remake mania that has swept through Hollywood in the last 6 years or so, it's so rampant that they don't even disagree that it's only because they are afraid of risking money on "untested material", it almost seems as if they are proud of their cowardice and lack of talent.

Yeah yeah, I know all too well that as an industry Hollywood has always cannibalized itself but it really has gotten out of control lately......I mean they are remaking Straw Dogs for god's sake..........STRAW DOGS MAN! And it's being set in the southern states of America rather than England, and David is a scriptwriter instead of a mathematician in this........WHY? What is the damn point of this? The only reason I can come up with, since it's not as if the original has a lot of name recognition to justify any hopes of franchise cash grabbing, is that the director thinks he can do a better job than Sam Peckinpah, uh huh, good luck there pal.

Ugh........

I assume that that movie's going with the very original 'all southern people are violent hillbillies', with an emphasis on the violence? I can understand remaking movies like Piranha, those can be improved. But movies like Straw Dogs? I can't imagine improving those at all.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
As far as mid-to-late-80s horror films go, there aren't many I could call "classic", but I do think FRIGHT NIGHT is one of them, and it has pretty much that type of reputation. Either way, the 1985 film works. It got it right. It is FRIGHT NIGHT, The Movie.

I mean, they're not even remaking old literary works anymore ... they're just taking every single 1980s movie script that hasn't been redone yet, and are redoing them.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR

Yep, if remakes weren't making money, they'd stop making them. The general public either doesn't care or doesn't know and they pay their $10 and that's all that matters since it's a business.

Well - you said it right there, Travis: They often "don't even KNOW they're remakes". So then, how do you figure "remakes are making money because they're remakes"? Do you see what I mean? The general public just goes to see whatever's new, and they often don't even know they're seeing a remake. So, they're not going to these movies "because Gee, I really like seeing remakes!". They'd be just as apt to see a new horror movie even if it WASN'T a remake. It's no different to them, they just want to see whatever's new, and if remakes are chiefly what's on the main menu, of course that's what they'll have to see.  

And not all remakes make money.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the public is going to see remakes because they're remakes but the studios have to have a hit so, as has been said before, they're more comfortable with something that already worked. It's like when musicians 'sample' old hit songs in new songs- it worked before, it'll probably work again. Believe me, I'm not saying that this a good thing, I'm just saying that's the way it is.

Of course not all remakes make money but enough do that the remake trend doesn't seem to be going away any time soon.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Count me as another not looking forward to this remake. As already stated above, if there are any films from the 80's that can be considered classics, this would be one. I shudder at the thought of the new casting. Also, where's the Billy Cole character? He had a pretty significant and memorable part in the original. They're just omitting him from the remake? Or, more likely, they're changing the character to a woman to avoid, god forbid, any sort of homosexual vibe from Jerry and Billy living together.

Colin Ferrell as Dandridge? *shudder* Anton Yelchin as Charley? *shudder* McLovin as Evil Ed? *double shudder and a Yikes!, too*.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR

but the studios have to have a hit so, as has been said before, they're more comfortable with something that already worked. It's like when musicians 'sample' old hit songs in new songs- it worked before, it'll probably work again.

But almost always, it doesn't. That is, in the "quality" department, at any rate. The overwhelming majority of modernized rehashes almost always come up zilch in terms of being as good as, let alone better than, their originals.

If you figure it's not about quality to the studios but rather all about "the box office receipts and making a lot of money", then that goes back to what I initially said... young people are not buying tickets to see these things "specifically BECAUSE they're remakes". So it can't be that they have built-in box office potential all the time, just because they're redo's. In fact, many people are tiring of this "remake-itis" in the last several years, if anything, and are staying away more (when they KNOW they're remakes and are sick of that, I mean).

Don't even get me started on sampling old songs in new songs. Compared to THAT talent-less ripoff practice, I'd rather see all these new remakes!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi

But almost always, it doesn't. That is, in the "quality" department, at any rate. The overwhelming majority of modernized rehashes almost always come up zilch in terms of being as good as, let alone better than, their originals.

Yeah, even modern remakes that I've liked such as The Last House On The Left and The Hills Have Eyes, while miles ahead of the originals in terms of technique, can't even come close to recreating the power of the originals for various reasons.

On a similar topic, I enjoy The Thing From Another World, The Fly and The Blob but I do think that their 1980's remakes are better.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
9/14/10 Very few people know FRIGHT NIGHT.

10/07/11 People will go see FRIGHT NIGHT making it a hit, learn it is a remake and then check out the original.

If remakes weren't making money then they'd stop making them.

If remakes didn't help the original film then studios wouldn't throw the older movie on every store shelf in America.

I personally see it as a win-win for young and old fans.

PIRANHA got great reviews when it was released and made Dante a good sized figure in Hollywood. It got better reviews than FRIGHT NIGHT.

I consider RAGING BULL a classic. FRIGHT NIGHT is a very good movie but I don't think it crosses the line as being an untouchable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks