Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Roger Ebert reviving "At the Movies" on public TV

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 of 77 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted January 31 2011 - 04:21 PM

BTW, Ebert posted to Twitter recently that show has been picked up in the Seattle/Tacoma area.

#62 of 77 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,478 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted February 01 2011 - 06:48 AM

Dammit, I forgot to watch the second show!  And I like the local Friday evening slot.  Well, it was for a good cause... I actually went out to a movie in a real theater (True Grit), something that happens all too infrequently these days.  Onward.

#63 of 77 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,962 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted February 01 2011 - 08:04 AM

Awesome.  Now I just have to find it.    Thanks David!  
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJ /forum/thread/303800/roger-ebert-reviving-at-the-movies-on-public-tv/60#post_3777118 BTW, Ebert posted to Twitter recently that show has been picked up in the Seattle/Tacoma area.

#64 of 77 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,906 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 01 2011 - 09:39 AM

Quote:
half a dozen shows to find their rhythm, longer for the Eberts to figure out which other features work and which ones don't. Fortunately we're on PBS; so it won't get yanked after an episode or two.
The show in general.  :)  I didn't see the first show, and if you think the second was an improvement then I won't bother looking for it online.  Who knows, though -- maybe it'll improve with time.  Good point about PBS.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#65 of 77 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,906 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 01 2011 - 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon http://www.hometheat...30#post_3777103

I watched episode #2 this weekend (after having missed #1).  I would agree the segment by the "blogger" about The Black Swan was stultifyingly horrendous (if that's, indeed, what Aaron meant!).

I meant that literally.  My eyes glazed over and I lost track of time and space for a few minutes.

Quote:

I'm all for watching the show develop and mature--and, hopefully, the hosts along with it.  It has got to be difficult for them to be trying to live up to those obvious (and constant) comparisons with the great Siskel and Ebert.  It would have been smart for them to have withheld, for example, that little nugget about sitting in the actual seats that Gene and Roger used during the original run.

That was probably my favorite part of the show! :)

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#66 of 77 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,906 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 01 2011 - 09:47 AM

Quote:

I watched episode #2 this weekend (after having missed #1).  I would agree the segment by the "blogger" about The Black Swan was stultifyingly horrendous (if that's, indeed, what Aaron meant!).

I meant that literally -- my eyes glazed over and I lost track of time and space for a few minutes.

Quote:

I'm all for watching the show develop and mature--and, hopefully, the hosts along with it.  It has got to be difficult for them to be trying to live up to those obvious (and constant) comparisons with the great Siskel and Ebert.  It would have been smart for them to have withheld, for example, that little nugget about sitting in the actual seats that Gene and Roger used during the original run.

That was probably my favorite part of the show! :)

#67 of 77 OFFLINE   albert_m2

albert_m2

Stunt Coordinator

• 134 posts

Posted July 17 2014 - 07:02 PM

Ignatiy Vishnevetsky has a fascinating read at the AV Club on the last version of the show etc. 

#68 of 77 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,534 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted July 18 2014 - 09:08 AM

When I try to view the 4th page of this thread in safari, it's totally blank.  Let's see if this post will fix it.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#69 of 77 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,034 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted July 18 2014 - 12:22 PM

test

#70 of 77 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,034 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted July 18 2014 - 01:27 PM

When I try to view the 4th page of this thread in safari, it's totally blank.  Let's see if this post will fix it.

Thanks for the report.  We got it fixed.

#71 of 77 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,122 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 19 2014 - 10:01 AM

http://www.avclub.co...d-movies-206668

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Serif', Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;]I have no idea why Mitchell left[/color] [color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Serif', Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;]after the pilot. The producers of [/color]Ebert Presents [color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Serif', Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;]told me that it was best I not know, so I’d never have to lie about it. Regardless, in the fall of 2010, it became necessary to find a replacement—and that replacement was me. [/color]

#72 of 77 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,461 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted July 19 2014 - 10:42 AM

So people know what that is.........

I killed At The Movies The inside story of the dueling critics’ last hurrah

By [color=rgb(95,160,214);]Ignatiy Vishnevetsky  @vishnevetsky[/color]

Jul 17, 2014 12:00 AM

Ignatiy was one of the personalities reviewing movies on Eberts revival of his old At the Movies show.

Was interesting but seemed like it took forever to get to the main point of the article.

Edited by TonyD, July 19 2014 - 10:43 AM.

facebook.com/whotony

#73 of 77 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,873 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted July 19 2014 - 10:49 AM

Ignatiy Vishnevetsky has a fascinating read at the AV Club on the last version of the show etc. 

Thanks for bringing this up, Albert, and thanks for linking to it Dave.

It's a great read, written by an insider with both a literate prose style and the rare ability for honest self-reflection. I can't say I ever cared for any of the post-Ebert & Roeper iterations of the show, but I just learned a lot about what went into making it.

#74 of 77 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,122 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 19 2014 - 05:35 PM

Thanks Tony. I see my snippet was too oblique. And it was a great read. Hopefully folks in this thread will enjoy it. I enjoyed Ebert and Roeper. I lost interest when Ebert left. I was unaware of the reincarnations.

#75 of 77 OFFLINE   atcolomb

atcolomb

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts
  • LocationChicago Area

Posted July 19 2014 - 06:33 PM

I did like Christy Lemire & Ignatiy and it's too bad the series ended.  I grew up in the Chicago area and do remember seeing Siskel & Ebert on the PBS station and watched them for many years and reading their reviews in the Chicago Tribune & Chicago Sun-Times. I do miss the balcony alot!

#76 of 77 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,528 posts

Posted July 20 2014 - 11:29 AM

I too enjoyed the Christy & Ignatiy coupling and probably caught every episode while it was on.  They definitely bickered back and forth about movies the same way Siskel and Ebert once did. 

I lament seeing the show, in whatever form, go away as it was a terrific means for discovering otherwise unknown films.  It really helped to build my appreciation for cinema all the way back to the silent era.

DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#77 of 77 OFFLINE   albert_m2

albert_m2

Stunt Coordinator

• 134 posts

Posted July 21 2014 - 10:17 AM

I enjoyed most variations of the show except the when the two Bens hosted.

I think the last version was improving and liked that Ebert wanted to stretch out who the hosts could be.

Overall, I miss not having a show with two critics discussing and yes arguing over new films, whether it be a new blockbuster, indie film or even movies that

you are going to be terrible.

I thought at times that Ignatiy was too inaccessible in his tastes, but didn't mind that there was someone I disagreed with etc. and enjoyed reading his take on the show and self awareness of his demeanor and style.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users