Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Roger Ebert reviving "At the Movies" on public TV

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 of 77 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,401 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 10 2010 - 06:03 AM

In the latest twist, Roger Ebert has announced that he's bringing "At the Movies" back to public television. Chicago PBS affiliate WTTW, where "Siskel & Ebert" got their start, will produce the show. AP film critic Christy Lemire and former New York Times film critic Elvis Mitchell will host. Ebert himself will contribute segments using the computerized voice made from his old audio commentaries on a semi-regular basis. Online film writers Kim Morgan and Omar Moore will also contribute segments. The show is being produced by Ebert and his wife Chaz.

And yes, the thumbs will be returning.

#2 of 77 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,843 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 10 2010 - 06:14 AM

Elvis Mitchell is a great choice.  He's funny, charming, smart and very personable on The Treatment every week.  Time to set the Tivo...

#3 of 77 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 10 2010 - 09:38 AM

RUETERS.COM

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Legendary film critic and Twitter master Roger Ebert said he is reviving his classic half-hour review program "At the Movies" on the public broadcasting channel PBS.

Titled "Roger Ebert Presents At the Movies," the show will be hosted by Christy Lemire, film critic of The Associated Press, and Elvis Mitchell of National Public Radio.

Ebert noted that the series, whose long-running syndicated version was recently canceled, was returning to its public station birthplace.

The new program will launch on WTTW Chicago, just like the original incarnation of "At the Movies" (titled "Opening Soon at a Theater Near You") did in 1975.

"At the Movies" will bring back Ebert's copyrighted "Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down" rating device, which was removed from the syndicated program after Ebert left the show following a battle with cancer that left him unable to speak.

"This is the rebirth of a dream," Ebert wrote in a statement. "I believe that by returning to its public roots, our new show will win better and more consistent time slots in more markets.

"American television is swamped by mindless gossip about celebrities, and I'm happy this show will continue to tell viewers honestly if the critics think a new movie is worth seeing."

Ebert will act as co-producer along with his wife, Chaz Ebert. The show will debut in January. Ebert will employ a computer voice to appear on episodes under a segment titled "Roger's Office." He says he will not debate the two co-hosts. "They'll be awarding the Thumbs, and you can't have three Thumbs."

#4 of 77 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted September 10 2010 - 10:08 AM

I'm looking forward to this, and I hope all the PBS stations pick it up immediately.

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#5 of 77 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,269 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted September 10 2010 - 10:26 AM

Second that.  I'll be there.

Full announcement and a video sampler at http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/

#6 of 77 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 10 2010 - 10:32 AM

Crap, I had no idea someone beat me to this news. Have no idea why I'm perplexed when it comes to which category to put to some piece of news in on this site. Maybe, I need a cat scan, or something.

Anyhow, seriously looking forward to this. I just wish Roger could talk, hell, for that matter, I wish Gene Siskel was still alive and they were still doing their show. Always thought Roger was the more informed one when it came to film. Their show was a staple of my youth, and, man, ALL those PBS channels better be picking this up.

#7 of 77 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,096 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 10 2010 - 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Reuben 

I'm looking forward to this, and I hope all the PBS stations pick it up immediately.

Yes indeed!

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#8 of 77 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted September 10 2010 - 12:27 PM

http://former.imdb.com/news/ni4257103/

This link is probably redundant, but I wanted to get in here somewhere. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#9 of 77 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,526 posts

Posted September 10 2010 - 03:07 PM

Very cool and very much looking forward to the new show!

DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#10 of 77 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted September 13 2010 - 04:00 AM

Excellent news!  I was so depressed when the show ended last month./img/vbsmilies/htf/dance.gif

#11 of 77 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 13 2010 - 05:56 AM

Wait. . .you mean it's not normal to have three thumbs?

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#12 of 77 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,362 posts

Posted September 13 2010 - 10:01 AM

Fantastic news!  And wonderfully appropriate that the show is returning to public TV.

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#13 of 77 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,717 posts

Posted September 13 2010 - 12:27 PM

After watching the sampler, it reminded me of an old adage. The one that states "you can't go home again". I've never been big on review shows, but Ebert and Siskel had a kind of rapport that none of these later people have.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#14 of 77 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,401 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 13 2010 - 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Edwin-S 

After watching the sampler, it reminded me of an old adage. The one that states "you can't go home again". I've never been big on review shows, but Ebert and Siskel had a kind of rapport that none of these later people have.

I don't believe the intent is to duplicate "Siskel & Ebert" but rather provide the a comparable forum for film criticism in a new format. While Lemire & Mitchell will wield the thumbs, they won't have to carry the entire enterprise on their shoulders the way Gene and Roger did. This new show looks to be a far more collaborative enterprise.

#15 of 77 OFFLINE   Dave Miller

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

• 854 posts

Posted November 27 2010 - 12:18 AM

Has there been an announced start date for this show?

Peace,

"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

#16 of 77 OFFLINE   Dave Miller

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

• 854 posts

Posted December 18 2010 - 10:24 PM

We now have a date of January 21.

http://newsfeed.time...g-movies-on-tv/

Peace,

DM

"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

#17 of 77 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted December 19 2010 - 03:18 AM

So, he's gonna be on the Armed Forces Network? I don't think I even get that channel.

#18 of 77 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,401 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 20 2010 - 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by SWFF 

So, he's gonna be on the Armed Forces Network? I don't think I even get that channel.

Most Americans that aren't serving in the US military don't. On December 14th, Ebert announced that the show would be moving forward without Elvis Mitchell on the AFN and over 100 PBS affiliates. The complete list as of 12/10 is available as a PDF, alphabetized by state with stations and air times. More stations have signed up since.

#19 of 77 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 20 2010 - 08:23 AM

Hopefully a station or two in Florida will join the list. :(

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#20 of 77 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,843 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted December 20 2010 - 08:27 AM

^ I hope the same thing about the Pacific Northwest.  As far as I can tell, not a single station in Oregon or Washington.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users