What's new

TRUE LIES: What a shame :( (1 Viewer)

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, last time I saw this movie I was a young teenager. To me movies just needed action. Now that I'm older and got this DVD yesterday as a gift from the boss I'm sadden.

THE MOVIE was JUST EXCELLENT up until Schwarzenegger gets inside the Harrier.

How could James CAMERON do that!!! such a fine director, has an excellent movie going and POW he throws in that CORNY A$$ ending. I mean c'mon, People jumping onto a harrier and standing up LOL the pure vibrations of those engins would not allow you to stand LOL.

Do you all feel the same way as me?

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
True Lies was a popcorn flick. You check your brain at the door. Nothing else in the film is even remotely possible, so, what difference does yet another impossible scene make?

I enjoyed the film and bought it long ago. I don't expect it to be in any way realistic.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
All I'm saying is the beginning up to that point was pretty barable.
Oh, no question -- that motorcycle roof jump was perfectly realistic. Just like the police horse responding to an unknown rider and performing dozens of precision moves. Just like Shwarzenegger's perfect physical coordination while doped up with sodium pentathol.

Should I go on?

M.

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
No
I enjoyed this movie as a popcorn flick for me. Now and again I just like to kick back and be entertained and not worry about reality or physics :D

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed "True Lies" more than most of Arnolds movies. The characters and story were fun and the effects were top notch for its time.

I would say that one should not be surprised that a James Cameron film has some seriously corny material in it. I was probably the biggest fan of "The Terminator" and when the sequel was released, I rushed to see it and thought it was great. Now, a few years later, I re-watched both T1 & T2 and was just shocked at how silly and corny so many scenes were in T2. "The Terminator" was such a great film with no obvious attempts at humour or schtick, yet T2 was full of such silliness. Still a good movie, but not in the same league as the first.

"True Lies" was certainly intended to be a lighthearted and funny action film. The comedy was a major part of the story. Most of the gags worked really well, especially with the surprisingly great work of Tom Arnold. Certainly it went over the top near the end, but it fell in line with the rest of the film.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The amazing thing about this movie is how it makes you forget that you are watching an action movie until after the striptease. I was almost sorry when those morons busted into the room, I wished the movie would just go on with the relationship subplot. But then when Ahnold starts kicking ass, who am I to protest? ;)
On the list of "bearable" stuff, how about the assault riffle tumbling down the steps and killing every bad guy?! Even Jar Jar was more believable at the end of the Gungan battle! :eek:
This movie is definitely a fav of mine.
--
Holadem

andreasingo

Stunt Coordinator
TRUE LIES was pure unadulted fun. More so than any other Cameron film. It doesn't take itself serious in any way.

What made this film so enjoyable was camerons abilities to create BIGGER THAN LIVE ACTION SCENES.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
No, I don't agree... "True Lies" was a mediocre action movie all the way through, with or without a Harrier scene.

That scene wasn't any more unrealistic than anything else in any action movie of the kind.

/Mike

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
I love True Lies. I remember when it first came out there were a lot of protests about who were chosen as the villians. Not a lot of protesting now is there.

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
Dont get me wrong. I"M A HUGE AWNULD FAN. I just that ending was too Hmmm fake. Now yes, I know the horse stuff, the gun tumble was fake too but it seemed like t hat ending scene was the icing on the cake. A mighty fine cake at that.
Great film too. And nice to see the beautiful Eliza Dushku ;) a little young in this movie but I knew she had potential ;).
And yes my dad commented on the fact that this movie has 2 plots and it plays pretty good at it too.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Loved True Lies. Already planning to buy the 5-Star Collection when it's available. Great/fun action flick! Plus it's got Jamie Lee Curtis in barely no clothing - what more could a red-blooded male ask for?

John Macri

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Yeah, that scene where Jamie Lee Curtis drops the Mac-11 pistol and it tumbles down the steps blowing away terrorists was real believable.... Cmon, almost nothing was realistic, but it sure was fun!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I loved the movie until it started. It was mostly downhill from there :p)

(No, I didn't care for this one too much. I much prefer T and T2, or even Eraser to True LIes)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks