Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Sony Archive MOD

Sony Pictures

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
997 replies to this topic

#21 of 998 John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 660 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted September 10 2010 - 03:51 AM

And I have on laser SONG WITHOUT END, which is widescreen and wonderful stereo sound, so I expect it to be stereo, probably only two track or dolby encoded, but stereo nevertheless.

#22 of 998 ChuckWL

ChuckWL

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted September 10 2010 - 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick 

I see that A STUDY IN TERROR, rumored to be coming to commercial DVD just ahead of the Robert Downey Jr. SHERLOCK HOLMES, has now been relegated to MOD. That would still be okay with me, but nowhere in the descriptions does it tell me if this is an anamorphic print. It does say "Newly Remastered" and "1.85:1." But I already have a 1.85:1 letterbox DVD from the UK, and would only buy this again if it's enhanced.

<

Yes this will be a must buy for me as it features on of my good friends actress Barbera Windsor! Cannot wait!!

#23 of 998 Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,488 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted September 10 2010 - 05:17 AM

As always, I am most interested to find out if any of the titles also include the original theatrical trailers. If not, then my TCM copies of most of these will suffice. Given Sony's track record of not putting trailers on their pressed DVDs (at least one for the main movie), I'm not overly optimistic....

#24 of 998 battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 658 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted September 10 2010 - 05:47 AM

No Best Picture Nominees. Won't be buying just yet.

I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#25 of 998 Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,092 posts

Posted September 10 2010 - 07:39 AM

I'm just curious, battlebeast. Will you purchase ANY film just because it got a best picture nomination ... regardless of quality or if you liked it? I mean there are several films that got nominated for best picture Oscars and some of them even won that I detest and can't see adding a film I actively dislike to a collection. Not a judgement, just asking.

#26 of 998 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,102 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted September 10 2010 - 07:49 AM

I would think "no old masters were used on any title" would imply they are anamorphic. Why would anyone create NEW letterboxed transfers? But I could be wrong.

Originally Posted by Jay E 

Thanks for the info...do you know if the widescreen films are anamorphic?

#27 of 998 ajabrams

ajabrams

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted September 10 2010 - 08:26 AM

If the Columbia prints that have been shown on TCM are any indication, these should look great!!  The online trailers look pretty darn good and there are some really fascinating titles. Now...if we only could get them discounted.....!!!

#28 of 998 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,846 posts

Posted September 10 2010 - 10:12 AM

do you know if the widescreen films are anamorphic?

Yes, they are.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#29 of 998 Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted September 10 2010 - 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein 

Yes, they are.

Since you are in contact with Sony. Can you reassure that Sony will continue with both: standard catalog DVDs (Collector's Choice Series, Icons Of... Series) and MOD? Thanks.

Recently bought: Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Coll., The Mountain, Rope of Sand, Taxi Driver (BD), Heroes of Telemark, Night of the Generals
Pre-Order: Knock on Any Door, The Outlaw Josey Wales (BD), The Man Who Would Be King (BD), Night Flight, The Hustler (BD)...
My Collection

#30 of 998 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,510 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 10 2010 - 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Marcel H. 

Since you are in contact with Sony. Can you reassure that Sony will continue with both: standard catalog DVDs (Collector's Choice Series, Icons Of... Series) and MOD? Thanks.

Now I have another sigh of relief.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#31 of 998 SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 11 2010 - 06:25 AM

Just got one of CRITIC'S CHOICE's catalogs in the mail today and they've got these movies in it. They state there's an initial 93 that are being released now with over 300 more that will eventually see the light of day in their MOD program.

#32 of 998 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,510 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 11 2010 - 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by SWFF 

Just got one of CRITIC'S CHOICE's catalogs in the mail today and they've got these movies in it. They state there's an initial 93 that are being released now with over 300 more that will eventually see the light of day in their MOD program.

I just love how they call it their MOD program, especially when even Movies Unlimited are selling the titles also.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#33 of 998 DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,915 posts

Posted September 11 2010 - 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by SWFF 

400 Total? Sony isn't committing to more than that? That's an interesting number to settle at consitering the thousands of titles they own. Guess they are going to go a little slower than the Warner Archive.

#34 of 998 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,510 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 11 2010 - 07:45 AM

Interesting in the different price points.

Sony Web Site----$19.94

Critic's Choice
$21.21
Movies Unlimited--$19.99

Deep Discount----$17.94

Sony does not show release date, while both Critic's Choice and Deep Discount are using 9/21 and Movies Unlimited has 10/15.  It is also interesting that Deep Discount and Critic's Choice are owned by the same parent company.

I am looking forward to other titles being announced, I guess in October.

#35 of 998 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,510 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 11 2010 - 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by DeWilson 

400 Total? Sony isn't committing to more than that? That's an interesting number to settle at consitering the thousands of titles they own. Guess they are going to go a little slower than the Warner Archive.

I am sure it will depend how well this goes over.  

#36 of 998 SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 11 2010 - 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by ahollis 

I just love how they call it their MOD program, especially when even Movies Unlimited are selling the titles also.

That was me referring to it as their MOD program, not them. Maybe, I should have just said DVD-Rs, like I always do. The writer in me takes over some times, and "MOD program" sounded cooler than DVD-Rs.

#37 of 998 Nebiroth

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor

• 723 posts

Posted September 11 2010 - 08:19 AM

Certainly better than "inferior pennypinching editions sold for premium prices" which is certainly more accurate - if the Warner stuff is anything to go by, the restoration is minimal and the extras nonexistant and the price doubled

All on a medium that may decide to self-destruct at some unspecified point in the future.

#38 of 998 SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 11 2010 - 08:28 AM

I probably should have done this to start off with, but there's how it's originally quoted in the catalog: Now available for the first time on DVD, Critic's Choice Video is proud to present the Columbia Pictures Classic Collection with the release of the first 93 titles out of more than 300 titles in their classics collection that will soon become available.

#39 of 998 Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted September 11 2010 - 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Nebiroth 
Certainly better than "inferior pennypinching editions sold for premium prices" which is certainly more accurate - if the Warner stuff is anything to go by, the restoration is minimal and the extras nonexistant and the price doubled

All on a medium that may decide to self-destruct at some unspecified point in the future.

Your points are the reasons that I've limited my MOD buys to a very few as of the present time.  I bought 1 set (Tarzan "Barker" movie set) from WB and one movie from the Universal MOD titles, one that I knew we'd never see a pressed release and had been on my short movie list for a long time.

Although for the most part, it's a moot issue for me since I've not seen titles that I'd be interested in buying, I'm hesitant on buying MOD's for the same reasons as you stated.

I wish the golden age of the pressed DVD mkt had lasted a little longer.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#40 of 998 Brent S

Brent S

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted September 11 2010 - 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahollis 
Sony does not have release date

I ordered two titles from the Sony site two days ago.  I received an email that they shipped this morning.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sony Pictures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users