Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF Blu-ray Review: SOLITARY MAN

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted September 04 2010 - 10:39 AM

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,135 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted September 08 2010 - 04:57 AM

I hadn't really heard of this.  I'm a big Michael Douglas fan and based on your review it looks like he really shines in this part so I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

a cut-rate Gordon Gekko who’s fallen on hard times

Why does this immediately bring an image of Michael Douglas with a Motorola "brick" cell phone up to his ear? 

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,188 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 08 2010 - 05:08 AM

I watched this film during its theatrical run and will pass on this BRD.  I liked the film, but the motivation behind Douglas's mid-life crisis didn't work for me with  
today's medical advances
  .           Crawdaddy

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted September 08 2010 - 05:30 AM

It's interesting that you recall it that way, Crawdaddy. I don't think you're alone. But in the film's final scene,
Ben tells his ex-wife that it wasn't really the medical issue. That was just the capper on something else that had been gathering below the surface for a number of years. Then Ben delivers a genuinely interesting speech (one that I confess I'd forgotten until I watched the film a second time) about how he felt whenever he walked into a room -- and how that experience changed as he got older. It's striking, because Ben seems to understand so well what set him off and where he went wrong. But then this really pretty girl walks by . . . 

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,188 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 08 2010 - 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Reuben [url=/forum/thread/303649/htf-blu-ray-review-solitary-man#post_3727330]

I remembered the scene, but something still doesn't feel right to me about Ben.

I can understand his desire to chase young women, but I would think his need to be the "man" again when it comes to making deals would be a stronger motivation for him than to sleep with every attractive young woman that walks his way which might compromise his position to be a dealmaker again. I mean, I think he would have a little restraint especially with him hitting rock bottom and serving food at his pal's diner.

Crawdaddy

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted September 08 2010 - 07:31 AM

I agree there's something not "right" about Ben, but here's how I took it.
He'd come to realize that, no matter what he did -- no matter how disciplined, successful or accomplished he was in the world of business -- he would never again enjoy that sense of being King of the World he'd experienced as a young turk. That feeling passes as one ages, and it can't be recaptured the old-fashioned way, at least for Ben. The lack of a "clean bill" from his doctor was just the last straw, even though there was probably nothing seriously wrong (as Ben's continued survival suggests). So Ben went for something that gave him short bursts of the sensation he could no longer experience on a sustained basis.   It struck me on the second viewing that his behavior is similar, in many respects, to that of a drug addict.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users