What's new

A.I. Pan and Scan - LAME Spielberg, LAME!!! (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Dreamworks will be releasing a pan and scan version of AI. Its a shame that filmmakers with the clout of spielberg would allow this. Hell, even Lucas didn't allow it!!!

From DVD File.com:

"A bit more news on the upcoming 3/5 A.I. Artificial Intelligence DVD release. DreamWorks has announced that they will be releasing a pan & scan version of the title concurrent with the widescreen edition, with the exact same extra features. Retail is also "

So, don't plan on renting this one at Blockbuster. J6P will get their P&S version... Sheesh.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Geez, this is the last film that would appeal to J6P (look at the poor box office) so this is puzzling.
Unless Speilberg is trying to emulate Kubrick's preference to fullscreen? :confused:

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
So, don't plan on renting this one at Blockbuster.
So blame Blockbuster, not Spielberg.

It's been said many times: More people will see a film on home video than ever saw it in a theater. There's nothing wrong with creating alternatives to broaden the market. If a P&S version helps persuade more viewers to venture into this challenging and under-appreciated film, it's worth the compromise. As long as the film is made available in OAR, I couldn't care less what other versions are released.

M.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Who cares if this movie has a P&S version. As long as I know this movie will have an OAR version I'm happy. Personally I think we should be happy Dreamworks is releasing two versions instead of releasing just one P&S version.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
... which brings up the slippery slope argument.

First, it's 2 versions: OAR and P&S.

Then, studio execs see that P&S is selling more copies.

Next, OAR releases become fewer and fewer, relegated to "artsy" movies.

Finally, OAR releases are sold at a premium, because only collectors care about that nonsense.

"Who cares as long as an OAR version is released?" We should--that's who.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the "art/serious film" fans have anything to worry about, OAR-wise. This, I believe, is one of those rare exceptions, and only because it's an "art film" directed by Spielberg. The same film, directed by anyone else, would probably not get a P&S release.

So, I don't think this is the beginning of a trend against preserving OAR in serious films (or OAR-only releases for such films). IMO, it's just one of those rare exceptions where the studios hope they can get some cross-over, mainstream appeal due to the Spielberg name.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Yohan is absolutely right.
And the point is that some films should be reserved for widesreen only. Lucas had the balls to do it with The Phantom Menace. Spielberg and DW have anough money that they shouldn't be concerned with wringing every last dollar out of this movie and J6P.
Do you really think SS will released a P&S version of Schindler's List ???

Ernesto Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Hey I am going to buy a reproduction of Da Vinci's Last Supper and chop off the sides because it is to wide to fit on my dining room wall. Anyways, who cares what's going on on the sides. :angry:

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Unless Speilberg is trying to emulate Kubrick's preference to fullscreen?
No, because A.I. utilized Vistavision for the visual effects shots, which are hard matted onto the 35mm release prints. This will force reframing for the full frame version.
I think this is silly. This is a strong, beautiful and ambitious film and everyone needs to see it as intended. People like us are the reason DVD is selling so well, and yet the ignorant masses are winning. I said it before and I'll say it again -- just release everything in OTAR and the masses will adjust.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
People like us are the reason DVD is selling so well, and yet the ignorant masses are winning.
I hate to point out the obvious, but "DVD is selling so well" because lots of people are buying it. Most of them are the very people you're so quick to dismiss as "the masses" (an odious term that reeks of phony superiority).

M.

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
put me in the slippery slope camp....

I am very disappointed in this, especially becuase of Lucas/Episode 1.

because of things like this, and the Universal/Blockbuster issue, we're going to have to pay a hefty premium, if OAR is made available at all.

Simply economy of scale. If all "major" video movers are only stocking P&S, we're, well... fucked.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I have major problems with this.

Why? Quite simply, when studios pull this shit, it's hard to find a widescreen version. I looked all over town for Mummy Returns in widescreen. Best Buy had THREE copies left when I got there, and about a thousand full screen. Same game with Jurassic Park 3 when I went to buy it yesterday, except they had some 10 copies of widescreen instead of only 3 left. In both cases, Costco had ZERO widescreen copies.

Considering that it's already difficult to find widescreen versions of these dual releases, going to "can't find it ANYWHERE" is not a very big leap. You say you can order it at your favorite online retailer? Wait 'till J6P starts buying their DVDs online and bitching about the widescreen. They'll cave, just like anyone else.

The only way to stop this is to not release them in P&S, peroid. Personally, I wish they'd do things ala Shrek: Two discs in one case. As long as they don't charge extra for it, they'll make everyone happy. Yes, I know some of you here bitched about what a waste it was, but at least you didn't have to hunt for a widescreen copy. And J6P didn't have to hunt for his full screen copy. And, best of all for J6P, when he sees the light he will already have the movie in the appropriate format.

For the small extra cost to the studio, I think this is an excellent route. You would think that you could make up the money by saving on order complications. When shipping two different versions, everyone has to specify the versions they want, and it complicates things - which costs money.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
It's all about profits.

Speilberg has always been interested in the bottom line, and makes films that aim at the mainstream market (i.e. Joe Sixpack). That's why he puts out pan and scan rather than OAR only. More units=more bucks. He's Hollywood's god, and measured by profits, not his style of film-making. Any movie that doesn't earn gazillions makes him look bad, even if it is a personal project. Maximizing home video revenues by issuing pan and scan helps wash away some of the poor box office stink, and he can stand a little taller amongst other money-centered hollywood peers.

The few anomalies like Color Purple, Shindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, and A.I. were made to legitimize him as a "serious" film maker and better his chances to earn few Oscars, as the P.C. nature of the material all but guarantees nominations. Still, these movies do have the "Speilberg" look and feel, which J.S.P. likes or feels he should like. Speilberg works almost excluively to "A list" bankable actors and tells stories that do not take too many risks, so as many J.S.P.s as possible are in the audience.

Speilberg will never be a Hal Artley or Phillip Ridley, but they couldn't have directed Raiders either.

They also don't make his bucks either.

BrianMu

Stunt Coordinator
His love is real, but his aspect ratio isn't...
LOL:D
This is disturbing though. Even though it was enthusiasts like us who kept DVD moving in the beginning, it is now the "ignorant masses" whose combined buying power have the control. Very scary stuff....
Brian

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Speilberg has always been interested in the bottom line, and makes films that aim at the mainstream market (i.e. Joe Sixpack). That's why he puts out pan and scan rather than OAR only.
Really? Then please tell me where I can go to buy the pan and scan versions of the following Spielberg films on DVD:
Saving Private Ryan
Amistad
Hook
Always
Empire of the Sun
The Color Purple
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members