Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official MACHETTE Review Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,990 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted September 03 2010 - 10:32 AM

Maybe this won't win the weekend.   Machette isn't the best film I've seen this year.  It's not in the top five.   But what it was was fun.

Machette is an old school, completely over the top exploitation film that rotates between gasps and laughs.

This film isn't for the squeamish, and there is definitely a good deal of nudity/violence.  There is a TON of nudity, and tons of Linday Lohan nudity for fans (though I think in the 3 some that was a body double).  But it is so camp, so wrong, so over the top that it reminds me of everything this film is supposed to be.

Jessica Alba turns in a zany great performance that I haven't seen from her in.. well, I'm not sure when, maybe Sin City. 

The first few minutes setup what is to come: a wild firefight.  Flame throwers.  Naked women.  Camp humor.

An absolute blast.

**** / *****

(4/5)

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#2 of 12 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,349 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 03 2010 - 10:52 AM

I think if you enjoyed the fake Machete trailer, you'll enjoy the real Machete movie.

#3 of 12 SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted September 03 2010 - 01:30 PM

Got a kick out of it!  Made me hungry too - I had to hit up the local taco stand (NOT Taco Bell!) on the way home...

#4 of 12 PatH

PatH

Second Unit

• 325 posts

Posted September 05 2010 - 03:29 PM

Most fun I've had at the movies since Inglourious Basterds.  And Steven Seagall's best movie since Executive Decision./img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

PatH

#5 of 12 Holer

Holer

Stunt Coordinator

• 233 posts

Posted September 07 2010 - 04:59 AM

This movie comes with tongue planted firmly in cheek - The dialog was pretty hilarious and the final confrontation between Machete and Segal was wonderfully absurd. Lots of hot chicks, including the babysitter twins as nurses, but I think Michelle Rodriguez stole the show. Robert Rodriguez has a real knack for old school exploitation.

#6 of 12 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,897 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 10 2010 - 10:39 AM

This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Machette". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an
Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#7 of 12 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,897 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 10 2010 - 10:50 AM

Like others, I had a blast with this film and totally enjoyed it.  Also, loved Segal's performance and the over-the-top humor and violence scored a touchdown for me.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#8 of 12 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,592 posts

Posted September 18 2010 - 03:51 AM

You pretty much know what you're getting yourself into when you go see a movie called "Machete" and Robert Rodriguez delivers on the machete-wielding violence from Danny Trejo's character "Machete", but seeing Robert Deniro chewing up the scenery along side Jeff Fahey and Cheech Marin and Don Johnson, and throw in some eye candy with Jessica Abla and Michele Rodriguez, you got a cult classic in the making.  Now, Steven Seagal's hairpiece should have had its own billing because it was almost like another character in the movie, but I digress.  Anyhow, the film owns whatever exploitation genre it's shooting for, and delivers.

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B (mainly for embracing its genre roots without reservation).

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#9 of 12 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,124 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted September 24 2010 - 10:30 AM

We just watched an ultra violent film called... Machete, anyone hear of this one? Mostly unknown actors, Steven Seagal, Robert De Niro, Jessica Alba, Michelle Rodriguez, Lindsay Lohan, Don Johnson, Cheech Marin, Jeff Fahey and Danny Trejo as the title character. There is violence in almost every scene, Machete lops off 4 heads in one spin at one point of the film. The blood and gore is so over the top it's cartoonish and I loved every minute of it. Oh and Alba and Lohan appear completely naked in a couple of scenes. And for some of us that's reason enough to seek this film out. ../../../img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

4 knives out of  5.

../../../image/id/368210/width/1000/height/500

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#10 of 12 dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,084 posts

Posted September 24 2010 - 05:38 PM

That's an awesome poster. I really need to get out and see this film tomorrow. FINALLY.

Careful man! There's a beverage here!

#11 of 12 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted September 24 2010 - 06:38 PM

i loved the movie. my only problem was the church slaughter because i'm Catholic. what i saw in that part of an otherwise great movie almost made me walk out. i would've if i didn't have to drive to another city to see it.otherwise great movie. getting it on blu-rayPosted Image

#12 of 12 Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner

Second Unit

• 441 posts

Posted September 28 2010 - 12:48 AM

I think I would have enjoyed this movie a LOT more had my wife not been sitting next to me. img/vbsmilies/htf/crazy.gif

I will have to sneak in the BD when it's available for a more relaxed viewing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users