Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

3D Blu Ray Question Regarding 1950s Movies

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   seangood79

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted September 02 2010 - 06:53 PM

I ask this question assuming 3D home theater technology gains a strong enough foothold that studios start spending resources to release classic 3D movies. Since many of these movies were released in 1.37, would the 3D effect be diminished pillarboxed on a 16:9 television? I have zero experience with the technology, don't know anyone who owns a system, and every time I'm in a Fry's or Best Buy their displays are out of order. This is probably a premature question, we're probably years away from seeing Dial M for Murder, Kiss Me Kate, Hondo, House of Wax, Creature from the Black Lagoon on 3D BD, if ever.

#2 of 6 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,545 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted September 02 2010 - 11:57 PM

The availability of those -- and all the rest of the catalog titles -- in 3D will be the ONLY reason I'd ever consider investing in a 3D system myself.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,660 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted September 03 2010 - 12:36 AM

Sony, IMAX and Discovery are planning to have a 3D channel that will include 3D films from the 1950s   http://www.eweek.com...-Report-739975/   http://www.nypost.co...OpFA3Ex2Ru1opXN    

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor

• 854 posts

Posted September 03 2010 - 01:17 AM

1) No, there will be no effect on the films if they're pillarboxed.   2) Most of the titles you listed were composed for some flat widescreen format.   Dial M for Murder 1.85-1 Kiss Me Kate 1.75-1 Hondo 1.75-1 House of Wax 1.37-1 Creature from the Black Lagoon 2.00-1
-J. Theakston

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   seangood79

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted September 03 2010 - 06:15 AM

Thanks Jack.

I normally cringe when I hear people talk about distracting pillarboxing or letterboxing,
I kind of wish you hadn't told me about the aspect ratios.

I'm a projectionist and a few years back I had the privilege of showing some of these movies in dual strip 3D.  On the basis of IMDB saying Dial M was 1.37 for 3D, and this post I played Kiss Me Kate in 1.37.

They looked fantastic, but if I ever get the opportunity again I'll make them widescreen.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor

• 854 posts

Posted September 03 2010 - 06:50 AM

Sean, you'll have to be careful with KISS ME KATE and run it 1.66 if you do run it again widescreen.  The film was shot full, silent aperture (to be reduced to normal Academy aperture via the optical printing of the matrices at Technicolor).  The point of this method was to get a finer-grained image that would hold up on wide-screens.  Consequently, because the new print WB struck for rental was contact printed and  not optically reduced, the left portion of the image is cut off and everything is shifted to the left on the new prints.  Only the credits were optically printed down so that the text didn't get lopped off, too.

-J. Theakston

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users