What's new

Sony Going The DVD-R Route? (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I hear Sony is now getting into the DVD-R business. Does anyone have a complete list of their upcoming releases? I'd love to see everything they're putting out, and, if they're going to be letterboxed, or not.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
At the Critic's Choice website, type DVD-R, in the search and choose sort by Newest.

There are 100 titles listed so far. You can tell the Sony's by the $21.21 price.

Of interest to TV fans are four Hart to Hart TV-movies.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
$20+ for a DVD-R of a TV movie? I'll pass. This is more MOD nonsense. Looking at some of these titles is disappointing. The Jungle Jims appeared on TCM awhile back. I don't think they're worth $20+ for a DVD-R.

If Shout can do exclusives on a pressed disc (and include such basics as subtitles/captioning) why can't the big boys? Granted, Shout doesn't have the volume of titles that Warner and Sony do, but they do have things that people want and ordinarily can't get via TCM.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve...O

$20+ for a DVD-R of a TV movie? I'll pass. This is more MOD nonsense. Looking at some of these titles is disappointing. The Jungle Jims appeared on TCM awhile back. I don't think they're worth $20+ for a DVD-R.

If Shout can do exclusives on a pressed disc (and include such basics as subtitles/captioning) why can't the big boys? Granted, Shout doesn't have the volume of titles that Warner and Sony do, but they do have things that people want and ordinarily can't get via TCM.

A-M-E-N Brother Steve! Preach it! This is utter silliness. Charging $20+ for a MOD created on a dvd-r. No way am I buying that stuff. They've got to cut that pricing in half before I'd even consider purchasing a title they are offering right now.

My TCM broadcast recordings of Jungle Jim will hold me over just fine, thank you very much.

Gary "this MOD thing can work, but the studios have got to get a better handle on where to price them" O.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Everything in this first batch has aired on TCM,AMC,or Encore in the last 15 years and/or have had VHS/BETA/Laserdisc releases in the past. Seems it's another companu going off the shelf.

Nothing special - all the good stuff is being held for a REAL PRESSED release, it seems.

Put out to shorts,the serials,the cartoons! Would be nice to see some OFFICAL, not bootleg colpix serials,and the shorts - the solo stooges,the charlie chase,vera vague,etc! I've never seen a "Fox and The Crow" cartoon in my life and I 'm pushing 45!

If you are going to charge $21.95 or whatever, make it worth it!

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Sony hasn't announced anything. Whatever you are seeing on other sites (including retailers) should be taken with a grain of salt. Until an official announcement is made, we won't know anything definitive about titles, prices, release dates, etc.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The studio has asked that the lists of alleged

titles considered for release not be posted on this forum.

We are respecting the wishes of the studio.

Anyone posting titles on this site will have their

post removed as well as risking having their own

account removed.

Thanks for cooperating with us on this matter.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I'm excited to see this happening. As we all know, dvd releases have become pretty sparse lately. So I'm all for studios doing the manufactured-on demand format if it means getting stuff out there for fans. I realize not everyone is thrilled with the pricing but I'm definitely going to pick up the "Hart to Hart" tv movies.

I only wish they would start doing this with their tv series and get some of those rare shows out that would probably never see the light of day in a regular dvd release.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
No specific titles, but the first three titles I intend to order have most certainly NOT been on laserdisc, DVD, or any of the channels (TCM, AMC, or Encore). There are several other titles that interest me, and the statement I just made applies to them as well.

I'd certainly like to hear if these new MODs will be letterboxed and/or anamorphic. The ones previously issued by Warner, Universal/Amazon, and Fox/MGM have been, for the most part.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I don't get this . Why is Critics Choice listing titles and prices ? If it's legit why would the studio put a gag on people talking about it ? Sounds like a lot of BS all around .

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

Originally Posted by borisfw

I don't get this . Why is Critics Choice listing titles and prices ? If it's legit why would the studio put a gag on people talking about it ? Sounds like a lot of BS all around .

TVShowsOnDVD.com has posted info on the "Hart to Hart" TV Movies MOD releases - with artwork,so they must have gotten the ok from Sony to mention it,right?

[COLOR= #f00] [/COLOR] [COLOR= #f00]Don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger[/COLOR].

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
If this is like MOD then no thanks! I rather have quality -vs quantity. I am just going take a wait and see approach for the next year or so. I have enough dvds along with dvds that have been released to keep my tv interest for a few years. I only watch about 2hrs a night of tv.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I've taken the plunge and ordered three of the films from CC. I still don't know if they will be anamorphic or not, but I'm willing to have faith in Sony, Grover Crisp, and Mike Schlessinger.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Go here, SCREEN CLASSICS BY REQUEST, it's Sony's website and this will tell you everything you need to know about their DVD-R titles. Right now, all I'm interested in is NIGHTWING, and from what I have read, it looks like the flick is gonna be LBX.

Synopsis: At the rock hovel home of Abner Tasupi (George Clutesi), a 92-year-old high priest of the Masakai, tribal deputy Youngman Duran (Nick Mancuso) finds the old man trying to bring the world to an end by summoning Yewah, the monster god of the Masakai who guards the gates of life and death. Called to the Mamoa ranch, Duran is puzzling over the strange razor-sharp wounds and smell of ammonia coming from a dead horse when a helicopter soon arrives bearing Walker Chee (Stephen Macht), a wheeler-dealer politician from the neighboring Pahana tribe, accompanied by a veterinarian who underscores Duran’s observations as he takes samples to determine what killed the animal. After going to see Anne Dillon (Kathryn Harrold), a health service nurse with whom he's romantically involved, Duran returns to Abner's shack to find the old man dead, his flesh stripped raw like that of the Mamoa ranch horse. Meanwhile, when Anne takes four foundation missionaries out on a camping trip, as they are gathered around an evening campfire, they hear a strange keening sound just before thousands of bats come swarming down upon them. Newly remastered.

Films:
NIGHTWING (Color)

Director: Arthur Hiller

Starring: David Warner, Nick Mancuso, Ben Piazza, Kathryn Harrold

Rating: PG Language: English (US) Aspect Ratio: 1.85

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Just at a glance, those look great. And I don't even know a lot of the titles. But you know what suddenly hit me in the face? Lots and lots of what looks like original poster/marketing artwork!

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

But you know what suddenly hit me in the face? Lots and lots of what looks like original poster/marketing artwork!

I noticed that, too.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

Just at a glance, those look great. And I don't even know a lot of the titles. But you know what suddenly hit me in the face? Lots and lots of what looks like original poster/marketing artwork!

The Warner Archive started doing something similar months ago :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Nowhere did I see prices mentioned (or shipping charges). I did see at least five that I would immediately get if prices are reasonable.

Also, are these available only here or do they have some kind of deal with Deep Discount, Amazon, etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks