Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

BVHE Press Release: Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 Special Edition (Blu-Ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#1 of 126 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,425 posts

Posted September 01 2010 - 06:36 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 126 OFFLINE   Charlie O.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted September 01 2010 - 08:02 AM

I really hope that Fantasia will truly be uncut this time around but is this forcing of the DVD  with the blurays is starting to become annoying to anyone else? To me its just a waste of space on the shelve and I hardly doubts its coming free of any extra cost.

#3 of 126 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,546 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted September 01 2010 - 08:07 AM

Yes!

#4 of 126 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted September 01 2010 - 08:26 AM

It's still cut, and Deems Taylor's voice is gone.

#5 of 126 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,633 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted September 01 2010 - 10:05 PM

Guys, there's no chance Disney EVER releases Fantasia with the stereotypical black centaurs again. Walt had them removed, and removed they will stay.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#6 of 126 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,507 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 02 2010 - 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

Guys, there's no chance Disney EVER releases Fantasia with the stereotypical black centaurs again. Walt had them removed, and removed they will stay.

Well, of course I despise this kind of retro-editing, but what's really painful is that it's done so crudely with frames cropped and then blown up to inch the offending characters out of the visible frame. It leaves the whole sequence looking weird and disjointed. If I get to review it later this year, I'll have more to say on the subject then.

#7 of 126 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted September 02 2010 - 01:55 AM

When did this censoring occur? I thought it was recently, but if Walt Disney did it himself, it would be before 1967, right? Has the original version ever been released to home video?    

#8 of 126 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,487 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted September 02 2010 - 06:00 AM

Is the edited section still cropped and zoomed or did they at least put some effort into it by re-painting the character? I can't imagine how the zooms will hold up in 1080p, considering they look atrocious on DVD.   Is there at least a possibility they'll include the original narration and uncut section as a branching option? It just seems hypocritical that Disney will release all the fairly offensive B&W cartoons on DVD without cuts.

#9 of 126 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,915 posts

Posted September 02 2010 - 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Richard--W 

When did this censoring occur?

I thought it was recently, but if Walt Disney did it himself, it would be before 1967, right?

Has the original version ever been released to home video?

The black centaurs were first censored during the 1969 rerelease.  Whether Walt was actually involved in the censoring is debatable and there does not seem to be conclusive answers

What I find more disappointing is the complete removal of the surviving Deems Taylor intros.  Its pretty lame that they can't at least be viewed in the extra features.

#10 of 126 OFFLINE   Charlie O.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted September 02 2010 - 10:49 AM

Here's the uncensored footage if anyone wants to know what they are missing.   http://www.youtube.c...ntasia Censored

#11 of 126 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted September 03 2010 - 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by JoHud 

The black centaurs were first censored during the 1969 rerelease.  Whether Walt was actually involved in the censoring is debatable and there does not seem to be conclusive answers

What I find more disappointing is the complete removal of the surviving Deems Taylor intros.  Its pretty lame that they can't at least be viewed in the extra features.

I agree. It shouldn't be that hard to find someone who can do a Deems Taylor impersonation, so we'd still have the rest of his dialog? Concerning the black centaur, I'd wish that they would just leave it intact for the animation fans, and let the regular people choose what they want. Either the censored version, or the uncensored. It's a shame that Disney couldn't even give us that.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#12 of 126 OFFLINE   Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted September 03 2010 - 07:34 AM

Here is a link done by Duck Dodgers of GAC  of most of the scene  til the storm:   http://classiccartoo...-sunflower.html

#13 of 126 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,605 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 03 2010 - 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Borst 

I agree. It shouldn't be that hard to find someone who can do a Deems Taylor impersonation, so we'd still have the rest of his dialog? Concerning the black centaur, I'd wish that they would just leave it intact for the animation fans, and let the regular people choose what they want. Either the censored version, or the uncensored. It's a shame that Disney couldn't even give us that.

Back in 2000, they already got Corey Burton to redub his dialogue because the gaps in what existed and what didn't were so huge.

Why is it so hard for this studio to at least try to present the film as closely as possible to how it was at the premiere?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#14 of 126 ONLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,127 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted September 03 2010 - 08:24 AM

The branching capabilities of BD should have been exploited so that we could see either the 115 minute version with Deems Taylor's actual voice or the Corey Burton re-dubbed 125 minute version.   It ain't rocket science, after all.   Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#15 of 126 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,225 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted September 03 2010 - 11:57 AM

agreed, but has disney used branching on any of there releases, you get what you get, and i do agree in a perfect world they could release it, get it over with and attone for what was done in the past, but really lots of people would find the wrong thing in the context of the art verses the time, same reason WB has avoided some very notable missing toons, or not given Tom & Jerry a complete proper release. i have no problem with what is right, what is just, but to stick ones head in the sand and act as nothing like this ever happened in the companys existance only makes it worse than it really is. Same kind of bastards would want to put pants on the statue of David.
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#16 of 126 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted September 03 2010 - 03:22 PM

Too bad the Treasures line isn't continuing or better yet on Blu-Ray at this time. Disney could release a limited edition in the tins that has the uncensored version on it.

#17 of 126 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,487 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted September 03 2010 - 03:59 PM

The Digital Bits mentions that they're at least using more "seamless" editing this time. It'll be interesting if they just opt to digitally re-touch "Sunflower" instead of airbrushing the character out entirely. Still, they had the chance to release a definitive home presentation of Fantasia and they blew it.

#18 of 126 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted September 04 2010 - 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick McCart 

The Digital Bits mentions that they're at least using more "seamless" editing this time. It'll be interesting if they just opt to digitally re-touch "Sunflower" instead of airbrushing the character out entirely. Still, they had the chance to release a definitive home presentation of Fantasia and they blew it.

According to someone at UltimateDisney, Sunflower is deleted the same way as on the 2000 DVD. It's only less obtrusive because of the grain removal that's been performed.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#19 of 126 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,425 posts

Posted September 04 2010 - 12:28 PM

I really need to know.  Would all hell break loose if Disney released Fantasia

unedited?   Would the company be forever marred if they finally decided to

release Song of the South?

I just don't understand this and I'm certain so many of you don't either.

Instead of turning our back on a controversial period of our history why

not present these films as they are, with an introduction by a film historian

to put things in proper context.  There's a real opportunity here to teach our

children how far we have come out of Hollywood racism.

I know all of this is old hat, but it greatly saddens me that Disney doesn't

stand up for its own history and decides to instead censor it and make
certain the public never sees these films (despite the fact they are allowing

the bootleggers to make a lot of money).

If they did the right thing and released an unedited Fantasia or Song of

the South would there be a negative reaction by the media?  Well, perhaps

a small part of the media.  And that reaction would be short-lived once the

studio stood firm ground on its reasons for release.  Within a short period

of time life would go on as it always does.

Enough already.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#20 of 126 OFFLINE   Charlie O.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted September 04 2010 - 12:39 PM

Would kids today even care about Fantasia? This seems more like a item for collectors than for family viewing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users